1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Firewall Question

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Whitey, Sep 2, 2009.

  1. Whitey

    Whitey Guest

    Hello. I am running a new PC with Vista Home Premium. I am a McAfee
    subscriber and use the firewall/virus scan features.
    When I tried to install the McAfee, it stopped midway and stated that the
    system already has a antivirus installed which must be deactivated. So I
    uninstalled the factory antivirus software and McAfee installed
    satisfactorily.
    So it seems that only ONE antivirus software can operate at any given time.
    OK, that I understand now, but what about firewalls?
    The McAfee has its own firewall, and of course the Windows system has its
    own firewall, and I even think my Roadrunner ISP connection has some sort of
    protection as well. Is it OK to have multiple firewalls active at once, or
    does the Mcfee overshadow the others? Should I turn OFF the Windows
    firewall?
    Sorry that this isnt exclusively Vista oriented but I read this column daily
    and there is a lot of very intelligent users here and I am sure some of you
    will be kind enough to reply. Thanks in advance, Whitey
     
  2. Hello Whitey,

    The rule of thumb is that you can use several anti-spyware applications but
    never more than one anti-virus, real-time virus protector, firewall, pop-up
    blocker or anti-phishing filter.
    -=--



    "Whitey" wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hello. I am running a new PC with Vista Home Premium. I am a McAfee
    > subscriber and use the firewall/virus scan features.
    > When I tried to install the McAfee, it stopped midway and stated that the
    > system already has a antivirus installed which must be deactivated. So I
    > uninstalled the factory antivirus software and McAfee installed
    > satisfactorily.
    > So it seems that only ONE antivirus software can operate at any given time.
    > OK, that I understand now, but what about firewalls?
    > The McAfee has its own firewall, and of course the Windows system has its
    > own firewall, and I even think my Roadrunner ISP connection has some sort of
    > protection as well. Is it OK to have multiple firewalls active at once, or
    > does the Mcfee overshadow the others? Should I turn OFF the Windows
    > firewall?
    > Sorry that this isnt exclusively Vista oriented but I read this column daily
    > and there is a lot of very intelligent users here and I am sure some of you
    > will be kind enough to reply. Thanks in advance, Whitey
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. Whitey

    Whitey Guest

    That’s pretty much what I figured but I wanted opinions from the pro's! Many
    thanks friend.

    "Ǝиçεl" <l@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:1FF81A69-5F32-4C2E-BF98-293D9C1707E7@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hello Whitey,
    >
    > The rule of thumb is that you can use several anti-spyware applications
    > but
    > never more than one anti-virus, real-time virus protector, firewall,
    > pop-up
    > blocker or anti-phishing filter.
    > -=--
    >
    >
    >
    > "Whitey" wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Hello. I am running a new PC with Vista Home Premium. I am a McAfee
    >> subscriber and use the firewall/virus scan features.
    >> When I tried to install the McAfee, it stopped midway and stated that the
    >> system already has a antivirus installed which must be deactivated. So I
    >> uninstalled the factory antivirus software and McAfee installed
    >> satisfactorily.
    >> So it seems that only ONE antivirus software can operate at any given
    >> time.
    >> OK, that I understand now, but what about firewalls?
    >> The McAfee has its own firewall, and of course the Windows system has its
    >> own firewall, and I even think my Roadrunner ISP connection has some sort
    >> of
    >> protection as well. Is it OK to have multiple firewalls active at once,
    >> or
    >> does the Mcfee overshadow the others? Should I turn OFF the Windows
    >> firewall?
    >> Sorry that this isnt exclusively Vista oriented but I read this column
    >> daily
    >> and there is a lot of very intelligent users here and I am sure some of
    >> you
    >> will be kind enough to reply. Thanks in advance, Whitey
    >>
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  4. On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 19:15:32 -0400, "Whitey" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Is it OK to have multiple firewalls active at once, or
    > does the Mcfee overshadow the others? Should I turn OFF the Windows
    > firewall?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    Don't run two firewalls. You achieve no extra protection, you incur
    the extra overhead of running two firewalls, and you run the risk
    (probably small, but not zero) of conflicts between them.

    See
    which includes the following:

    "Q. Should I use both the built-in firewall and a software firewall
    from a different company on my Windows XP computer?

    "A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for typical
    home computers, home networking, and small-business networking
    scenarios. Using two firewalls on the same connection could cause
    issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior.
    One firewall, whether it is the Windows XP Internet Connection
    Firewall or a different software firewall, can provide substantial
    protection for your computer."

    Also note that if you update your third-party firewall to a new
    version, the update routine will probably turn it off first. If the
    Windows firewall isn't running, you will temporarily be left with no
    running firewall, which is very dangerous. So turn on the Windows
    firewall temporarily before doing maintenance on your third-party
    firewall.

    One additional point: I wouldn't choose to use the McAfee firewall in
    preference to the Windows firewall, but I also wouldn't choose to use
    the McAfee anything in preference to anything else (except Norton
    products). In my view, McAfee and Norton are the two worst security
    companies out there.

    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
     
  5. I would not run the risk. Turn off one software firewall or the other.
    Your router/modem probably has some protection built in and this is really
    where you should concentrate your protection - don't even let 'em in past
    the gateway, stop them there.

    "Whitey" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message
    news:ujKfINCLKHA.4316@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hello. I am running a new PC with Vista Home Premium. I am a McAfee
    > subscriber and use the firewall/virus scan features.
    > When I tried to install the McAfee, it stopped midway and stated that the
    > system already has a antivirus installed which must be deactivated. So I
    > uninstalled the factory antivirus software and McAfee installed
    > satisfactorily.
    > So it seems that only ONE antivirus software can operate at any given
    > time. OK, that I understand now, but what about firewalls?
    > The McAfee has its own firewall, and of course the Windows system has its
    > own firewall, and I even think my Roadrunner ISP connection has some sort
    > of protection as well. Is it OK to have multiple firewalls active at once,
    > or does the Mcfee overshadow the others? Should I turn OFF the Windows
    > firewall?
    > Sorry that this isnt exclusively Vista oriented but I read this column
    > daily and there is a lot of very intelligent users here and I am sure some
    > of you will be kind enough to reply. Thanks in advance, Whitey <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  6. Whitey

    Whitey Guest

    Thank You sir, great reply! TJ

    "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
    news:s97u959lfcgikj7s13b7002rdncfmjaq83@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 19:15:32 -0400, "Whitey" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Is it OK to have multiple firewalls active at once, or
    >> does the Mcfee overshadow the others? Should I turn OFF the Windows
    >> firewall?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > Don't run two firewalls. You achieve no extra protection, you incur
    > the extra overhead of running two firewalls, and you run the risk
    > (probably small, but not zero) of conflicts between them.
    >
    > See
    > which includes the following:
    >
    > "Q. Should I use both the built-in firewall and a software firewall
    > from a different company on my Windows XP computer?
    >
    > "A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for typical
    > home computers, home networking, and small-business networking
    > scenarios. Using two firewalls on the same connection could cause
    > issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior.
    > One firewall, whether it is the Windows XP Internet Connection
    > Firewall or a different software firewall, can provide substantial
    > protection for your computer."
    >
    > Also note that if you update your third-party firewall to a new
    > version, the update routine will probably turn it off first. If the
    > Windows firewall isn't running, you will temporarily be left with no
    > running firewall, which is very dangerous. So turn on the Windows
    > firewall temporarily before doing maintenance on your third-party
    > firewall.
    >
    > One additional point: I wouldn't choose to use the McAfee firewall in
    > preference to the Windows firewall, but I also wouldn't choose to use
    > the McAfee anything in preference to anything else (except Norton
    > products). In my view, McAfee and Norton are the two worst security
    > companies out there.
    >
    > --
    > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    > Please Reply to the Newsgroup <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  7. Whitey

    Whitey Guest

    Thanks my friend! Very appreciated! TJ

    "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
    news:F14F1DC3-D8D9-4A1B-BAC9-241DBC54EF1E@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I would not run the risk. Turn off one software firewall or the other.
    > Your router/modem probably has some protection built in and this is really
    > where you should concentrate your protection - don't even let 'em in past
    > the gateway, stop them there.
    >
    > "Whitey" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message
    > news:ujKfINCLKHA.4316@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Hello. I am running a new PC with Vista Home Premium. I am a McAfee
    >> subscriber and use the firewall/virus scan features.
    >> When I tried to install the McAfee, it stopped midway and stated that the
    >> system already has a antivirus installed which must be deactivated. So I
    >> uninstalled the factory antivirus software and McAfee installed
    >> satisfactorily.
    >> So it seems that only ONE antivirus software can operate at any given
    >> time. OK, that I understand now, but what about firewalls?
    >> The McAfee has its own firewall, and of course the Windows system has its
    >> own firewall, and I even think my Roadrunner ISP connection has some sort
    >> of protection as well. Is it OK to have multiple firewalls active at
    >> once, or does the Mcfee overshadow the others? Should I turn OFF the
    >> Windows firewall?
    >> Sorry that this isnt exclusively Vista oriented but I read this column
    >> daily and there is a lot of very intelligent users here and I am sure
    >> some of you will be kind enough to reply. Thanks in advance, Whitey<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  8. You are entirely welcome.

    "Whitey" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message
    news:ujpUuiNLKHA.3600@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Thanks my friend! Very appreciated! TJ
    >
    > "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
    > news:F14F1DC3-D8D9-4A1B-BAC9-241DBC54EF1E@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> I would not run the risk. Turn off one software firewall or the other.
    >> Your router/modem probably has some protection built in and this is
    >> really where you should concentrate your protection - don't even let 'em
    >> in past the gateway, stop them there.
    >>
    >> "Whitey" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message
    >> news:ujKfINCLKHA.4316@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Hello. I am running a new PC with Vista Home Premium. I am a McAfee
    >>> subscriber and use the firewall/virus scan features.
    >>> When I tried to install the McAfee, it stopped midway and stated that
    >>> the system already has a antivirus installed which must be deactivated.
    >>> So I uninstalled the factory antivirus software and McAfee installed
    >>> satisfactorily.
    >>> So it seems that only ONE antivirus software can operate at any given
    >>> time. OK, that I understand now, but what about firewalls?
    >>> The McAfee has its own firewall, and of course the Windows system has
    >>> its own firewall, and I even think my Roadrunner ISP connection has some
    >>> sort of protection as well. Is it OK to have multiple firewalls active
    >>> at once, or does the Mcfee overshadow the others? Should I turn OFF the
    >>> Windows firewall?
    >>> Sorry that this isnt exclusively Vista oriented but I read this column
    >>> daily and there is a lot of very intelligent users here and I am sure
    >>> some of you will be kind enough to reply. Thanks in advance, Whitey<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  9. On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 16:53:37 -0400, "Whitey" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Thank You sir, great reply! TJ<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    You're welcome. Glad to help.


    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
    > news:s97u959lfcgikj7s13b7002rdncfmjaq83@4ax.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 19:15:32 -0400, "Whitey" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote:
    > ><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> Is it OK to have multiple firewalls active at once, or
    > >> does the Mcfee overshadow the others? Should I turn OFF the Windows
    > >> firewall?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > >
    > >
    > > Don't run two firewalls. You achieve no extra protection, you incur
    > > the extra overhead of running two firewalls, and you run the risk
    > > (probably small, but not zero) of conflicts between them.
    > >
    > > See
    > > which includes the following:
    > >
    > > "Q. Should I use both the built-in firewall and a software firewall
    > > from a different company on my Windows XP computer?
    > >
    > > "A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for typical
    > > home computers, home networking, and small-business networking
    > > scenarios. Using two firewalls on the same connection could cause
    > > issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior.
    > > One firewall, whether it is the Windows XP Internet Connection
    > > Firewall or a different software firewall, can provide substantial
    > > protection for your computer."
    > >
    > > Also note that if you update your third-party firewall to a new
    > > version, the update routine will probably turn it off first. If the
    > > Windows firewall isn't running, you will temporarily be left with no
    > > running firewall, which is very dangerous. So turn on the Windows
    > > firewall temporarily before doing maintenance on your third-party
    > > firewall.
    > >
    > > One additional point: I wouldn't choose to use the McAfee firewall in
    > > preference to the Windows firewall, but I also wouldn't choose to use
    > > the McAfee anything in preference to anything else (except Norton
    > > products). In my view, McAfee and Norton are the two worst security
    > > companies out there.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    > > Please Reply to the Newsgroup <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
     

Share This Page