1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Dual Boot Naming

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by thindave, Sep 14, 2009.

  1. thindave

    thindave Guest

    For various reasons, I have a dual boot with Vista 64 bit and Vista 32 bit on
    separate internal hard drives. When the dual boot screen comes up, it lists
    both OS's as Microsoft Windows Vista, without any indication which is which
    and from which hard drive the OS is coming from. Is there any way to change
    the dual drive start up screen to be more specific as to which OS to select
    from?

    Thanks
     
  2. Hi ThinDave,

    1. Boot any configuration you like.
    2. Check system properties for version (right click Computer, properies).
    Let's say you booted into 64-bit version.
    3. Open Command Prompt with 'Run as administrator'.
    4. Issue command:
    bcdedit /set description "Vista x64"
    This will set description of currently loaded OS to "Vista x64"

    To rename other otion, look at bcdedit help. The command to issue will be
    something like:
    bcdedit /set {cbd971bf-b7b8-4885-951a-fa03044f5d71} description "Vista x86"
    Note, the long number is unique id number. You see what it is when you issue
    bcdedit command (without parameters). Alternatively, you can reboot into
    second config and repeat above steps with suitable description.

    "thindave" <thindave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:3E4963DE-AB7C-4561-9A2A-0017F52139E7@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > For various reasons, I have a dual boot with Vista 64 bit and Vista 32 bit
    > on
    > separate internal hard drives. When the dual boot screen comes up, it
    > lists
    > both OS's as Microsoft Windows Vista, without any indication which is
    > which
    > and from which hard drive the OS is coming from. Is there any way to
    > change
    > the dual drive start up screen to be more specific as to which OS to
    > select
    > from?
    >
    > Thanks
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. thindave

    thindave Guest

    Dusko:

    Guess I am still a bit confused. If I type in "run as administrator" in the
    Run command box on the windows start-up, it does not recognize that command.
    And if I type in the 'bcedit /set descpription "Vista x64"" ' I still get
    nothing. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

    Thanks,

    Dave


    "Dusko Savatovic" wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi ThinDave,
    >
    > 1. Boot any configuration you like.
    > 2. Check system properties for version (right click Computer, properies).
    > Let's say you booted into 64-bit version.
    > 3. Open Command Prompt with 'Run as administrator'.
    > 4. Issue command:
    > bcdedit /set description "Vista x64"
    > This will set description of currently loaded OS to "Vista x64"
    >
    > To rename other otion, look at bcdedit help. The command to issue will be
    > something like:
    > bcdedit /set {cbd971bf-b7b8-4885-951a-fa03044f5d71} description "Vista x86"
    > Note, the long number is unique id number. You see what it is when you issue
    > bcdedit command (without parameters). Alternatively, you can reboot into
    > second config and repeat above steps with suitable description.
    >
    > "thindave" <thindave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:3E4963DE-AB7C-4561-9A2A-0017F52139E7@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > For various reasons, I have a dual boot with Vista 64 bit and Vista 32 bit
    > > on
    > > separate internal hard drives. When the dual boot screen comes up, it
    > > lists
    > > both OS's as Microsoft Windows Vista, without any indication which is
    > > which
    > > and from which hard drive the OS is coming from. Is there any way to
    > > change
    > > the dual drive start up screen to be more specific as to which OS to
    > > select
    > > from?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  4. ThinDave,

    Sorry, I gues I was a bit fast.

    You need to navigate to where the command prompt is (In Accessories etc).
    Then you right click on the Command Prompt icon and from the context menu
    choose "Run as Administrator".

    I noticed typos in bcdedit (you used bcedit) and description (descpription),
    so here is command again:
    bcdedit /set description "Vista x64"

    There is space between bcdedit and /set.

    HTH,
    Good luck

    "thindave" <thindave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:59EE9B8B-9502-41A3-A336-7D972586CDAE@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Dusko:
    >
    > Guess I am still a bit confused. If I type in "run as administrator" in
    > the
    > Run command box on the windows start-up, it does not recognize that
    > command.
    > And if I type in the 'bcedit /set descpription "Vista x64"" ' I still get
    > nothing. Not sure what I am doing wrong.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave
    >
    >
    > "Dusko Savatovic" wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Hi ThinDave,
    >>
    >> 1. Boot any configuration you like.
    >> 2. Check system properties for version (right click Computer, properies).
    >> Let's say you booted into 64-bit version.
    >> 3. Open Command Prompt with 'Run as administrator'.
    >> 4. Issue command:
    >> bcdedit /set description "Vista x64"
    >> This will set description of currently loaded OS to "Vista x64"
    >>
    >> To rename other otion, look at bcdedit help. The command to issue will be
    >> something like:
    >> bcdedit /set {cbd971bf-b7b8-4885-951a-fa03044f5d71} description "Vista
    >> x86"
    >> Note, the long number is unique id number. You see what it is when you
    >> issue
    >> bcdedit command (without parameters). Alternatively, you can reboot into
    >> second config and repeat above steps with suitable description.
    >>
    >> "thindave" <thindave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> news:3E4963DE-AB7C-4561-9A2A-0017F52139E7@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > For various reasons, I have a dual boot with Vista 64 bit and Vista 32
    >> > bit
    >> > on
    >> > separate internal hard drives. When the dual boot screen comes up, it
    >> > lists
    >> > both OS's as Microsoft Windows Vista, without any indication which is
    >> > which
    >> > and from which hard drive the OS is coming from. Is there any way to
    >> > change
    >> > the dual drive start up screen to be more specific as to which OS to
    >> > select
    >> > from?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. andy

    andy Guest

    The command is bcdedit.

    On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 08:58:01 -0700, thindave
    <thindave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >Dusko:
    >
    >Guess I am still a bit confused. If I type in "run as administrator" in the
    >Run command box on the windows start-up, it does not recognize that command.
    > And if I type in the 'bcedit /set descpription "Vista x64"" ' I still get
    >nothing. Not sure what I am doing wrong.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Dave
    >
    >
    >"Dusko Savatovic" wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Hi ThinDave,
    >>
    >> 1. Boot any configuration you like.
    >> 2. Check system properties for version (right click Computer, properies).
    >> Let's say you booted into 64-bit version.
    >> 3. Open Command Prompt with 'Run as administrator'.
    >> 4. Issue command:
    >> bcdedit /set description "Vista x64"
    >> This will set description of currently loaded OS to "Vista x64"
    >>
    >> To rename other otion, look at bcdedit help. The command to issue will be
    >> something like:
    >> bcdedit /set {cbd971bf-b7b8-4885-951a-fa03044f5d71} description "Vista x86"
    >> Note, the long number is unique id number. You see what it is when you issue
    >> bcdedit command (without parameters). Alternatively, you can reboot into
    >> second config and repeat above steps with suitable description.
    >>
    >> "thindave" <thindave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> news:3E4963DE-AB7C-4561-9A2A-0017F52139E7@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > For various reasons, I have a dual boot with Vista 64 bit and Vista 32 bit
    >> > on
    >> > separate internal hard drives. When the dual boot screen comes up, it
    >> > lists
    >> > both OS's as Microsoft Windows Vista, without any indication which is
    >> > which
    >> > and from which hard drive the OS is coming from. Is there any way to
    >> > change
    >> > the dual drive start up screen to be more specific as to which OS to
    >> > select
    >> > from?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     

Share This Page