1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer keeps attempting to connect to dial-up

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Charlie Hoffpauir, Sep 14, 2009.

  1. First, my system is a Vista Home Premium, 64 bit with 8 GB RAM, Intel
    E8400 @ 3 GHz.

    Second, I have Hughesnet broadband; HN7000S modem/router, and a
    netgear switch, and a Linksys WRT54G as an AP for a couple of notebook
    computers that are sometimes connected.

    I also have a dialup account with WT.NET for "backup" (HN is rather
    unreliable).

    I've have four or five computers on line since I had these two
    accounts, but the present Vista computer is the only one that keeps
    trying to access the dailup account, even though the comnputer is
    on-line with Hughesnet. (all the other computers are running XP....
    I'm really beginning to hate Vista.)

    Can anyone tell my why, or preferably, how to stop it?

    I realize I haven't given a lot of details, so if anyone needs more
    information, ask and I'll try to find what you need.
     
  2. On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 17:25:00 +0200, Alias
    <iamaliasTAKETHIS@OUTgmail.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> First, my system is a Vista Home Premium, 64 bit with 8 GB RAM, Intel
    >> E8400 @ 3 GHz.
    >>
    >> Second, I have Hughesnet broadband; HN7000S modem/router, and a
    >> netgear switch, and a Linksys WRT54G as an AP for a couple of notebook
    >> computers that are sometimes connected.
    >>
    >> I also have a dialup account with WT.NET for "backup" (HN is rather
    >> unreliable).
    >>
    >> I've have four or five computers on line since I had these two
    >> accounts, but the present Vista computer is the only one that keeps
    >> trying to access the dailup account, even though the comnputer is
    >> on-line with Hughesnet. (all the other computers are running XP....
    >> I'm really beginning to hate Vista.)
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell my why, or preferably, how to stop it?
    >>
    >> I realize I haven't given a lot of details, so if anyone needs more
    >> information, ask and I'll try to find what you need.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >What provokes the computer to try and dial up?
    >
    >Alias<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Well actually that was my original question. It happens more or less
    at random, many time a day, and I so far see no pattern as to when the
    dial-up box pops up.
     
  3. Alias

    Alias Guest

    Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 17:25:00 +0200, Alias
    > <iamaliasTAKETHIS@OUTgmail.com> wrote:
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> First, my system is a Vista Home Premium, 64 bit with 8 GB RAM, Intel
    >>> E8400 @ 3 GHz.
    >>>
    >>> Second, I have Hughesnet broadband; HN7000S modem/router, and a
    >>> netgear switch, and a Linksys WRT54G as an AP for a couple of notebook
    >>> computers that are sometimes connected.
    >>>
    >>> I also have a dialup account with WT.NET for "backup" (HN is rather
    >>> unreliable).
    >>>
    >>> I've have four or five computers on line since I had these two
    >>> accounts, but the present Vista computer is the only one that keeps
    >>> trying to access the dailup account, even though the comnputer is
    >>> on-line with Hughesnet. (all the other computers are running XP....
    >>> I'm really beginning to hate Vista.)
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone tell my why, or preferably, how to stop it?
    >>>
    >>> I realize I haven't given a lot of details, so if anyone needs more
    >>> information, ask and I'll try to find what you need.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> What provokes the computer to try and dial up?
    >>
    >> Alias<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Well actually that was my original question. It happens more or less
    > at random, many time a day, and I so far see no pattern as to when the
    > dial-up box pops up.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    In IE's Internet Properties under the Connections tab what is set for
    your dial up connection?

    M
     
  4. On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 18:01:49 +0200, Alias
    <iamaliasTAKETHIS@OUTgmail.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 17:25:00 +0200, Alias
    >> <iamaliasTAKETHIS@OUTgmail.com> wrote:
    >> <!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
    >>>> First, my system is a Vista Home Premium, 64 bit with 8 GB RAM, Intel
    >>>> E8400 @ 3 GHz.
    >>>>
    >>>> Second, I have Hughesnet broadband; HN7000S modem/router, and a
    >>>> netgear switch, and a Linksys WRT54G as an AP for a couple of notebook
    >>>> computers that are sometimes connected.
    >>>>
    >>>> I also have a dialup account with WT.NET for "backup" (HN is rather
    >>>> unreliable).
    >>>>
    >>>> I've have four or five computers on line since I had these two
    >>>> accounts, but the present Vista computer is the only one that keeps
    >>>> trying to access the dailup account, even though the comnputer is
    >>>> on-line with Hughesnet. (all the other computers are running XP....
    >>>> I'm really beginning to hate Vista.)
    >>>>
    >>>> Can anyone tell my why, or preferably, how to stop it?
    >>>>
    >>>> I realize I haven't given a lot of details, so if anyone needs more
    >>>> information, ask and I'll try to find what you need.
    >>> What provokes the computer to try and dial up?
    >>>
    >>> Alias<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> Well actually that was my original question. It happens more or less
    >> at random, many time a day, and I so far see no pattern as to when the
    >> dial-up box pops up.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >In IE's Internet Properties under the Connections tab what is set for
    >your dial up connection?
    >
    >M<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Well, I don't really "use" IE, but looking at it under Tools I find
    Internet Options, and the connections tab brings up the Dial-up Alvin
    (which is my back-up to satellite service). Under setting I have
    checked "Never dial a connection" (set this way earlier in a futile
    attempt to stop the dial-up box from popping up). FWIW, this is IE 8.
     
  5. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Tools>>Internet Options>>tick "Never dial a connection"

    "Charlie Hoffpauir" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
    news:eflsa5ps15c4negn74hejthf9ga0prtu3t@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > First, my system is a Vista Home Premium, 64 bit with 8 GB RAM, Intel
    > E8400 @ 3 GHz.
    >
    > Second, I have Hughesnet broadband; HN7000S modem/router, and a
    > netgear switch, and a Linksys WRT54G as an AP for a couple of notebook
    > computers that are sometimes connected.
    >
    > I also have a dialup account with WT.NET for "backup" (HN is rather
    > unreliable).
    >
    > I've have four or five computers on line since I had these two
    > accounts, but the present Vista computer is the only one that keeps
    > trying to access the dailup account, even though the comnputer is
    > on-line with Hughesnet. (all the other computers are running XP....
    > I'm really beginning to hate Vista.)
    >
    > Can anyone tell my why, or preferably, how to stop it?
    >
    > I realize I haven't given a lot of details, so if anyone needs more
    > information, ask and I'll try to find what you need. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  6. DanS

    DanS Guest

    Alias <iamaliasTAKETHIS@OUTgmail.com> wrote in news:h8lpdd$6or$1
    @news.eternal-september.org:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 17:25:00 +0200, Alias
    >> <iamaliasTAKETHIS@OUTgmail.com> wrote:
    >> <!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
    >>>> First, my system is a Vista Home Premium, 64 bit with 8 GB RAM, <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    Intel<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>> E8400 @ 3 GHz.
    >>>>
    >>>> Second, I have Hughesnet broadband; HN7000S modem/router, and a
    >>>> netgear switch, and a Linksys WRT54G as an AP for a couple of <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    notebook<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>> computers that are sometimes connected.
    >>>>
    >>>> I also have a dialup account with WT.NET for "backup" (HN is rather
    >>>> unreliable).
    >>>>
    >>>> I've have four or five computers on line since I had these two
    >>>> accounts, but the present Vista computer is the only one that keeps
    >>>> trying to access the dailup account, even though the comnputer is
    >>>> on-line with Hughesnet. (all the other computers are running XP....
    >>>> I'm really beginning to hate Vista.)
    >>>>
    >>>> Can anyone tell my why, or preferably, how to stop it?
    >>>>
    >>>> I realize I haven't given a lot of details, so if anyone needs more
    >>>> information, ask and I'll try to find what you need.
    >>> What provokes the computer to try and dial up?
    >>>
    >>> Alias<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> Well actually that was my original question. It happens more or less
    >> at random, many time a day, and I so far see no pattern as to when the
    >> dial-up box pops up.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > In IE's Internet Properties under the Connections tab what is set for
    > your dial up connection?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    To finish that thought.....what should be selected is 'Never dial a
    connection'.
     
  7. DanS

    DanS Guest

    Charlie Hoffpauir <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in
    news:qbpsa5du52imbnh5i42psvfjtefhvh24cn@4ax.com:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>What provokes the computer to try and dial up?
    >>
    >>Alias<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Well actually that was my original question. It happens more or less
    > at random, many time a day, and I so far see no pattern as to when the
    > dial-up box pops up.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    It's not random, it happens whenever one of the apps you have installed
    checks to see if there are updates, or an e-mail program automatically
    checking for e-mail, or for Windows or another app trying to 'activate'
    and/or validate that you are/are not a thief.
     
  8. Alias

    Alias Guest

    Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 18:01:49 +0200, Alias
    > <iamaliasTAKETHIS@OUTgmail.com> wrote:
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 17:25:00 +0200, Alias
    >>> <iamaliasTAKETHIS@OUTgmail.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
    >>>>> First, my system is a Vista Home Premium, 64 bit with 8 GB RAM, Intel
    >>>>> E8400 @ 3 GHz.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Second, I have Hughesnet broadband; HN7000S modem/router, and a
    >>>>> netgear switch, and a Linksys WRT54G as an AP for a couple of notebook
    >>>>> computers that are sometimes connected.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I also have a dialup account with WT.NET for "backup" (HN is rather
    >>>>> unreliable).
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I've have four or five computers on line since I had these two
    >>>>> accounts, but the present Vista computer is the only one that keeps
    >>>>> trying to access the dailup account, even though the comnputer is
    >>>>> on-line with Hughesnet. (all the other computers are running XP....
    >>>>> I'm really beginning to hate Vista.)
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Can anyone tell my why, or preferably, how to stop it?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I realize I haven't given a lot of details, so if anyone needs more
    >>>>> information, ask and I'll try to find what you need.
    >>>> What provokes the computer to try and dial up?
    >>>>
    >>>> Alias
    >>> Well actually that was my original question. It happens more or less
    >>> at random, many time a day, and I so far see no pattern as to when the
    >>> dial-up box pops up.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> In IE's Internet Properties under the Connections tab what is set for
    >> your dial up connection?
    >>
    >> M<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Well, I don't really "use" IE, but looking at it under Tools I find
    > Internet Options, and the connections tab brings up the Dial-up Alvin
    > (which is my back-up to satellite service). Under setting I have
    > checked "Never dial a connection" (set this way earlier in a futile
    > attempt to stop the dial-up box from popping up). FWIW, this is IE 8.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Some program or something from Microsoft is trying to dial out.

    Alias
     
  9. On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:16:45 -0400, "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >Tools>>Internet Options>>tick "Never dial a connection"
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    As I mentioned in the thread in reply to Alias, that is the setting
    that I have.
    I agree with what you said previously, some program is trying to
    update or something, but I can't figure out which one, or why it
    insists on trying dailup instead of just using the already active
    satellite connection.
     
  10. kristlebawl

    kristlebawl Guest

    Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:16:45 -0400, "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote:
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Tools>>Internet Options>>tick "Never dial a connection"
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > As I mentioned in the thread in reply to Alias, that is the setting
    > that I have.
    > I agree with what you said previously, some program is trying to
    > update or something, but I can't figure out which one, or why it
    > insists on trying dailup instead of just using the already active
    > satellite connection.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Most programs that update also have a setting, similar to browser and
    email clients, that will allow you to choose when they update and how
    they connect. You might have to go through each program's options and
    preferences. Something is not recognizing the connection and is trying
    to use it's default dialup setting.
     
  11. Bob

    Bob Guest

    If you "don't really "use" IE" which browser do you use?

    "Charlie Hoffpauir" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
    news:2mqsa5lm0mjoh6ierpkckdhgc5k33uvtnr@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 18:01:49 +0200, Alias
    > <iamaliasTAKETHIS@OUTgmail.com> wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 17:25:00 +0200, Alias
    >>> <iamaliasTAKETHIS@OUTgmail.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
    >>>>> First, my system is a Vista Home Premium, 64 bit with 8 GB RAM, Intel
    >>>>> E8400 @ 3 GHz.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Second, I have Hughesnet broadband; HN7000S modem/router, and a
    >>>>> netgear switch, and a Linksys WRT54G as an AP for a couple of notebook
    >>>>> computers that are sometimes connected.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I also have a dialup account with WT.NET for "backup" (HN is rather
    >>>>> unreliable).
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I've have four or five computers on line since I had these two
    >>>>> accounts, but the present Vista computer is the only one that keeps
    >>>>> trying to access the dailup account, even though the comnputer is
    >>>>> on-line with Hughesnet. (all the other computers are running XP....
    >>>>> I'm really beginning to hate Vista.)
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Can anyone tell my why, or preferably, how to stop it?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I realize I haven't given a lot of details, so if anyone needs more
    >>>>> information, ask and I'll try to find what you need.
    >>>> What provokes the computer to try and dial up?
    >>>>
    >>>> Alias
    >>>
    >>> Well actually that was my original question. It happens more or less
    >>> at random, many time a day, and I so far see no pattern as to when the
    >>> dial-up box pops up.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >>In IE's Internet Properties under the Connections tab what is set for
    >>your dial up connection?
    >>
    >>M<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Well, I don't really "use" IE, but looking at it under Tools I find
    > Internet Options, and the connections tab brings up the Dial-up Alvin
    > (which is my back-up to satellite service). Under setting I have
    > checked "Never dial a connection" (set this way earlier in a futile
    > attempt to stop the dial-up box from popping up). FWIW, this is IE 8. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  12. On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 17:57:52 -0400, "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >If you "don't really "use" IE" which browser do you use?
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    I use Firefox, but of course I do have IE on my computer since I'm
    using vista, and I keep it up to date with security updates.
     
  13. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Does Firefox have a similar "Connections" tab?
    s
    "Charlie Hoffpauir" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
    news:l6ita5tkl1bl6fb68k6cn7080j0ht6ke8r@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 17:57:52 -0400, "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>If you "don't really "use" IE" which browser do you use?
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > I use Firefox, but of course I do have IE on my computer since I'm
    > using vista, and I keep it up to date with security updates. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  14. On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:59:36 -0400, "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >Does Firefox have a similar "Connections" tab?
    >s<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    No, and as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I didn't really find
    such a tab in IE either. What I found was under "tools" an item
    labeled "Internet Options" which simply opens up a windows dialogue
    box that has the connections tab. Of course, I don't really need IE to
    get to that box and tab, and so I've been there before and didn't find
    anything that corrected my problem. ( so I'd already selected the
    option "Never dial a connection")
     
  15. Bob

    Bob Guest

Share This Page