1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer automatically restarts before loading windows

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by erincait, Aug 31, 2009.

  1. erincait

    erincait Guest

    Hi,
    I really hope someone can help me out here. I'm at a bit of a loss. I
    use my computer for school work and it is pretty much imperative that I
    don't lose anything while trying to fix it.

    Here is what happened;

    Yesterday I was going about my business (visiting my usual morning
    sites, nothing out of the ordinary), when I had to open Internet
    Explorer (I use Mozilla) to access my school email account. Everything
    went fine and when I was done I reopened Mozilla to browse again. I got
    one of those annoying spam web popups saying I had a computer infection
    and clicked out of it. A few minutes later my pc just randomly rebooted.
    I have had viruses before but it has never shut down randomly before.
    So I immediately restarted in safemode and ran my spyware tools. I found
    3 trojans (I no longer remember their names) and removed them. I
    rebooted and it starts to load windows but reboots before it reaches the
    user account screen. I can get into safe mode and I did run my spyware
    tools again, they didn't find anything at all. I figured I had somehow
    damaged my system and so I downloaded a windows repair disc and repaired
    it. It didn't work. I've run startup repair and that didn't work or
    find anything wrong either. Please help!

    Thanks,
    Erin


    --
    erincait
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    erincait's Profile:
    View this thread:


     
  2. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "erincait" <erincait.3xss3a@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
    news:erincait.3xss3a@DoNotSpam.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Hi,
    > I really hope someone can help me out here. I'm at a bit of a loss. I
    > use my computer for school work and it is pretty much imperative that I
    > don't lose anything while trying to fix it.
    >
    > Here is what happened;
    >
    > Yesterday I was going about my business (visiting my usual morning
    > sites, nothing out of the ordinary), when I had to open Internet
    > Explorer (I use Mozilla) to access my school email account. Everything
    > went fine and when I was done I reopened Mozilla to browse again. I got
    > one of those annoying spam web popups saying I had a computer infection
    > and clicked out of it. A few minutes later my pc just randomly rebooted.
    > I have had viruses before but it has never shut down randomly before.
    > So I immediately restarted in safemode and ran my spyware tools. I found
    > 3 trojans (I no longer remember their names) and removed them. I
    > rebooted and it starts to load windows but reboots before it reaches the
    > user account screen. I can get into safe mode and I did run my spyware
    > tools again, they didn't find anything at all. I figured I had somehow
    > damaged my system and so I downloaded a windows repair disc and repaired
    > it. It didn't work. I've run startup repair and that didn't work or
    > find anything wrong either. Please help!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Erin
    >
    >
    > --
    > erincait
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > erincait's Profile:
    > View this thread:

    >
    >

    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Download and run Malwarebytes and run it. You've been nailed. Whenever you
    get a pop-up like that open task manager and end the process--either IE or
    Firefox. Clicking anywhere in in the pop-up usually infects you. Try
    starting in safe mode with networking.



    --

    Don't pick a fight with an old man.
    If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
     
  3. On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 00:44:39 +0530, erincait <erincait.3xss3a@DoNotSpam.com>
    wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I got
    >one of those annoying spam web popups saying I had a computer infection
    >and clicked out of it. A few minutes later my pc just randomly rebooted.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    You took too long to read the warning. When it popped up, and you didn't see an
    x to break out of it, and the only exit was the 'quit' button, that was a scam
    telling it to speed things up when you hit quit. Cause it wouldn't take long
    for you to figure out it wasn't going to stop because you told it to.

    Future occurrences, and it will happen again. I've seen it me 3 times. Hit
    CTRL-ALT-DELETE when you 1st see the popup and select that running window in
    the processes and break it there.

    Trouble is if you are too slow, as you were, it will load enough to repair
    itself at it's 1st chance and ruin you..

    I've tried all the brand name virus stuff. I've only found one that works. And
    it is a trial version.
    windows oncecare. Next year it's FREE, and name will be Morrow.
    It's stopped that thing twice. Not to mention many other things.
    Malwarebytes MIGHT find it, but not pieces of it.
     
  4. ><!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > windows oncecare. Next year it's FREE, and name will be Morrow.
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    FYI

    <http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008 ov08/11-18NoCostSecurityPR.mspx>

    Microsoft Announces Plans for No-Cost Consumer Security Offering
    MSE's Microsoft Security Essentials
    See <http://lmgtfy.com/?q=microsoft+security+essentials>

    Morro to be named Microsoft Security Essentials
    <http://www.neowin.net ews/main/09/06/17/morro-to-be-renamed-microsoft-security-essentials>
    -=-

    "keepout@yahoo.com.invalid" wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 00:44:39 +0530, erincait <erincait.3xss3a@DoNotSpam.com>
    > wrote:
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > >I got
    > >one of those annoying spam web popups saying I had a computer infection
    > >and clicked out of it. A few minutes later my pc just randomly rebooted.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > You took too long to read the warning. When it popped up, and you didn't see an
    > x to break out of it, and the only exit was the 'quit' button, that was a scam
    > telling it to speed things up when you hit quit. Cause it wouldn't take long
    > for you to figure out it wasn't going to stop because you told it to.
    >
    > Future occurrences, and it will happen again. I've seen it me 3 times. Hit
    > CTRL-ALT-DELETE when you 1st see the popup and select that running window in
    > the processes and break it there.
    >
    > Trouble is if you are too slow, as you were, it will load enough to repair
    > itself at it's 1st chance and ruin you..
    >
    > I've tried all the brand name virus stuff. I've only found one that works. And
    > it is a trial version.
    > windows oncecare. Next year it's FREE, and name will be Morrow.
    > It's stopped that thing twice. Not to mention many other things.
    > Malwarebytes MIGHT find it, but not pieces of it.
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. sevcairo2k

    sevcairo2k Guest

    :)Ǝиçεl;1088395 Wrote: <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > >
    > > windows oncecare. Next year it's FREE, and name will be Morrow.
    > ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > FYI
    >
    > <http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008 ov08/11-18NoCostSecurityPR.mspx>
    >
    >
    > Microsoft Announces Plans for No-Cost Consumer Security Offering
    > MSE's Microsoft Security Essentials
    > See <http://lmgtfy.com/?q=microsoft+security+essentials>
    >
    > Morro to be named Microsoft Security Essentials
    > <http://www.neowin.net ews/main/09/06/17/morro-to-be-renamed-microsoft-security-essentials>
    >
    > -=-
    >
    > "keepout@yahoo.com.invalid" wrote:
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 00:44:39 +0530, erincait<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <erincait.3xss3a@DoNotSpam.com><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > wrote:
    > > <!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >I got
    > > >one of those annoying spam web popups saying I had a computer<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > infection<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >and clicked out of it. A few minutes later my pc just randomly<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > rebooted.<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > >
    > > You took too long to read the warning. When it popped up, and you<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > didn't see an<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > x to break out of it, and the only exit was the 'quit' button, that<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > was a scam<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > telling it to speed things up when you hit quit. Cause it wouldn't<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > take long<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > for you to figure out it wasn't going to stop because you told it<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > to.<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > >
    > > Future occurrences, and it will happen again. I've seen it me 3<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > times. Hit<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > CTRL-ALT-DELETE when you 1st see the popup and select that running<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > window in<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > the processes and break it there.
    > >
    > > Trouble is if you are too slow, as you were, it will load enough to<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > repair<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > itself at it's 1st chance and ruin you..
    > >
    > > I've tried all the brand name virus stuff. I've only found one that<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > works. And<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > it is a trial version.
    > > windows oncecare. Next year it's FREE, and name will be Morrow.
    > > It's stopped that thing twice. Not to mention many other things.
    > > Malwarebytes MIGHT find it, but not pieces of it.
    > > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    quick solution mount............................................
    drive as slave on a working computer and bu your data:)
    Good luck!
     
  6. Here's what Michael wrote on 8/31/09:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "erincait" <erincait.3xss3a@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
    > news:erincait.3xss3a@DoNotSpam.com...<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    <SNIP>
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Whenever you
    > get a pop-up like that open task manager and end the process--either IE or
    > Firefox. Clicking anywhere in in the pop-up usually infects you. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Just a question: would Alt-F4 be a safe way to close that pop-up?

    I'm aware it won't work if the pop-up doesn't have the focus.

    OK, a second question: how about right-clicking on the pop-up's
    task-bar icon and selecting close?

    Thanks.

    --
    Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
     

Share This Page