1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Command Prompt Auto Complete and path Completion

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Kiran Jain, Mar 3, 2009.

  1. Kiran Jain

    Kiran Jain Guest

    Hi,
    I have been using Vista now for almost an year. Today when i tried to auto
    complete the path on my command prompt by pressing the tab on the keyboard,
    instead of completing the path it inserted the tab spaces on the command
    prompt. i also checked the registry setting at
    hklm/users/default/software/microsoft/Command Processor
    the values for CompletionChar and PathCompletionChar both is 0x9.
    i also tried restarting the computer. but still the path completion doesnt
    work as it used to earlier.
    i also tried using cmd /F switch, here the tab key doesnt work but ctrl+D
    does work
    dont know whats wrong.
    Pls help!!!!
    thanks in advance,
    Ragards,
    Kiran Jain
     
  2. geeman

    geeman Guest

    Hi Kiran,

    As it's been a while since you posted this I assume you already found
    a
    solution but as I had the same problem and came accross this I thought
    I
    would add my solution for anyone else who stumbles upon it.

    You need to change the settings in
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor.
    CompletionChar and PathCompletionChar can appear in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    and HKEY_CURRENT_USER. If both appear in the registry, the value of the

    entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER takes precedence over the value in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

    I hope this helps someone.

    Regards,
    George


    --
    geeman
    Posted via
     
  3. Peter Foldes

    Peter Foldes Guest

    >As it's been a while since you posted this I assume you already found a<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >solution but as I had the same problem and came accross this I thought<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Two years to be precise
    --
    Peter

    Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
     
  4. Jim Moriarty

    Jim Moriarty Guest

    "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>As it's been a while since you posted this I assume you already found a
    >>solution but as I had the same problem and came accross this I thought<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >Two years to be precise<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    March 3 of 2009 is a bit shy of two years, bub - or does Canada have a
    different calendar than the rest of the world?
     

Share This Page