1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing Vista HB from Chinese to English

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Billkalbo, Sep 2, 2009.

  1. Billkalbo

    Billkalbo Guest

    I just bought a 2nd hand laptop with a legal version of Vista Home Basic but
    the OS is in Chinese and, you guessed it, I can't read Chinese.

    I want to use the home basic license and change the operating system
    language to English but I would rather not do a clean install and loose all
    of the manufacturers' software.

    I own a copy of Vista Home Premium that is on my desktop.

    How can I manage this without buying an English version of Vista? A friend
    of mine has a Vista Home Basic DVD but I, of course, can't use his license.

    I'm quite computer literate and if the procedure is beyond me, I have a team
    of IT people who work for me but I'd rather do this myself if at all
    possible.

    Regards,

    Kalbo
     
  2. olfart

    olfart Guest

    "Billkalbo" <billkalbo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:D5E3DB4A-0143-42A5-99EE-27F3D48B9668@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I just bought a 2nd hand laptop with a legal version of Vista Home Basic
    >but the OS is in Chinese and, you guessed it, I can't read Chinese.
    >
    > I want to use the home basic license and change the operating system
    > language to English but I would rather not do a clean install and loose
    > all of the manufacturers' software.
    >
    > I own a copy of Vista Home Premium that is on my desktop.
    >
    > How can I manage this without buying an English version of Vista? A friend
    > of mine has a Vista Home Basic DVD but I, of course, can't use his
    > license.
    >
    > I'm quite computer literate and if the procedure is beyond me, I have a
    > team of IT people who work for me but I'd rather do this myself if at all
    > possible.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Kalbo
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    in XP it's Regional and Language settings in Control panel. Not sure about
    Vista, but you might look for something similar
     
  3. Malke

    Malke Guest

    Billkalbo wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I just bought a 2nd hand laptop with a legal version of Vista Home Basic
    > but the OS is in Chinese and, you guessed it, I can't read Chinese.
    >
    > I want to use the home basic license and change the operating system
    > language to English but I would rather not do a clean install and loose
    > all of the manufacturers' software.
    >
    > I own a copy of Vista Home Premium that is on my desktop.
    >
    > How can I manage this without buying an English version of Vista? A friend
    > of mine has a Vista Home Basic DVD but I, of course, can't use his
    > license.
    >
    > I'm quite computer literate and if the procedure is beyond me, I have a
    > team of IT people who work for me but I'd rather do this myself if at all
    > possible.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I'm sorry but you won't be able to do what you want. Only Vista Business and
    Ultimate Editions support the Multi-Language Pack feature that would enable
    you to switch to English. Contact the laptop mftr. and see if they will sell
    you a recovery disc set in English. If they will, this is usually not that
    expensive. Otherwise the second-hand laptop was not as good a bargain as you
    thought and if you want Vista in English on it, you'll need to purchase a
    full retail version. You will also need to get all the drivers for the
    laptop's hardware and laptop-specific software (like power management, etc.)
    from the laptop mftr.'s website.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
     
  4. Billkalbo

    Billkalbo Guest

    Nice idea and, just for giggles, I set the regional settings to US English
    but that does not effect the OS language.

    It's far more complex a problem than that

    Thanks

    Kalbo
    "olfart" <olfart65@excite.com> wrote in message
    news:7g796pF2od318U1@mid.individual.net...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > "Billkalbo" <billkalbo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > news:D5E3DB4A-0143-42A5-99EE-27F3D48B9668@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>I just bought a 2nd hand laptop with a legal version of Vista Home Basic
    >>but the OS is in Chinese and, you guessed it, I can't read Chinese.
    >>
    >> I want to use the home basic license and change the operating system
    >> language to English but I would rather not do a clean install and loose
    >> all of the manufacturers' software.
    >>
    >> I own a copy of Vista Home Premium that is on my desktop.
    >>
    >> How can I manage this without buying an English version of Vista? A
    >> friend of mine has a Vista Home Basic DVD but I, of course, can't use his
    >> license.
    >>
    >> I'm quite computer literate and if the procedure is beyond me, I have a
    >> team of IT people who work for me but I'd rather do this myself if at all
    >> possible.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Kalbo
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > in XP it's Regional and Language settings in Control panel. Not sure about
    > Vista, but you might look for something similar
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. Billkalbo

    Billkalbo Guest

    I'm not laying down that easy. I have a bunch of IT guys who I know can get
    me an English recovery disk but the tricky part comes with the license. Is
    there a way to use the license that came with the Chinese version to install
    the English version?

    Kalbo


    "Malke" <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    news:eLrhjT9KKHA.1488@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Billkalbo wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> I just bought a 2nd hand laptop with a legal version of Vista Home Basic
    >> but the OS is in Chinese and, you guessed it, I can't read Chinese.
    >>
    >> I want to use the home basic license and change the operating system
    >> language to English but I would rather not do a clean install and loose
    >> all of the manufacturers' software.
    >>
    >> I own a copy of Vista Home Premium that is on my desktop.
    >>
    >> How can I manage this without buying an English version of Vista? A
    >> friend
    >> of mine has a Vista Home Basic DVD but I, of course, can't use his
    >> license.
    >>
    >> I'm quite computer literate and if the procedure is beyond me, I have a
    >> team of IT people who work for me but I'd rather do this myself if at all
    >> possible.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > I'm sorry but you won't be able to do what you want. Only Vista Business
    > and
    > Ultimate Editions support the Multi-Language Pack feature that would
    > enable
    > you to switch to English. Contact the laptop mftr. and see if they will
    > sell
    > you a recovery disc set in English. If they will, this is usually not that
    > expensive. Otherwise the second-hand laptop was not as good a bargain as
    > you
    > thought and if you want Vista in English on it, you'll need to purchase a
    > full retail version. You will also need to get all the drivers for the
    > laptop's hardware and laptop-specific software (like power management,
    > etc.)
    > from the laptop mftr.'s website.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP
    > Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  6. NO

    "Billkalbo" <billkalbo@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:486409B6-4C37-47C1-9A6C-30771B59DC31@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I'm not laying down that easy. I have a bunch of IT guys who I know can get
    > me an English recovery disk but the tricky part comes with the license. Is
    > there a way to use the license that came with the Chinese version to install
    > the English version?
    >
    > Kalbo
    >
    >
    > "Malke" <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > news:eLrhjT9KKHA.1488@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Billkalbo wrote:
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> I just bought a 2nd hand laptop with a legal version of Vista Home Basic
    >>> but the OS is in Chinese and, you guessed it, I can't read Chinese.
    >>>
    >>> I want to use the home basic license and change the operating system
    >>> language to English but I would rather not do a clean install and loose
    >>> all of the manufacturers' software.
    >>>
    >>> I own a copy of Vista Home Premium that is on my desktop.
    >>>
    >>> How can I manage this without buying an English version of Vista? A
    >>> friend
    >>> of mine has a Vista Home Basic DVD but I, of course, can't use his
    >>> license.
    >>>
    >>> I'm quite computer literate and if the procedure is beyond me, I have a
    >>> team of IT people who work for me but I'd rather do this myself if at all
    >>> possible.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> I'm sorry but you won't be able to do what you want. Only Vista Business
    >> and
    >> Ultimate Editions support the Multi-Language Pack feature that would
    >> enable
    >> you to switch to English. Contact the laptop mftr. and see if they will
    >> sell
    >> you a recovery disc set in English. If they will, this is usually not that
    >> expensive. Otherwise the second-hand laptop was not as good a bargain as
    >> you
    >> thought and if you want Vista in English on it, you'll need to purchase a
    >> full retail version. You will also need to get all the drivers for the
    >> laptop's hardware and laptop-specific software (like power management,
    >> etc.)
    >> from the laptop mftr.'s website.
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> MS-MVP
    >> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
    >>
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  7. On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 20:04:40 +0800, "Billkalbo" <billkalbo@yahoo.com>
    wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I just bought a 2nd hand laptop with a legal version of Vista Home Basic but
    > the OS is in Chinese and, you guessed it, I can't read Chinese.
    >
    > I want to use the home basic license and change the operating system
    > language to English but I would rather not do a clean install and loose all
    > of the manufacturers' software.
    >
    > I own a copy of Vista Home Premium that is on my desktop.
    >
    > How can I manage this without buying an English version of Vista? A friend
    > of mine has a Vista Home Basic DVD but I, of course, can't use his license.
    >
    > I'm quite computer literate and if the procedure is beyond me, I have a team
    > of IT people who work for me but I'd rather do this myself if at all
    > possible.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    You can't. You need an English version.

    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
     
  8. Peter Foldes

    Peter Foldes Guest

    You need to purchase an English version.

    --
    Peter

    Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

    "Billkalbo" <billkalbo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:D5E3DB4A-0143-42A5-99EE-27F3D48B9668@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I just bought a 2nd hand laptop with a legal version of Vista Home Basic but the OS
    >is in Chinese and, you guessed it, I can't read Chinese.
    >
    > I want to use the home basic license and change the operating system language to
    > English but I would rather not do a clean install and loose all of the
    > manufacturers' software.
    >
    > I own a copy of Vista Home Premium that is on my desktop.
    >
    > How can I manage this without buying an English version of Vista? A friend of mine
    > has a Vista Home Basic DVD but I, of course, can't use his license.
    >
    > I'm quite computer literate and if the procedure is beyond me, I have a team of IT
    > people who work for me but I'd rather do this myself if at all possible.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Kalbo
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  9. Sorry, can't be done. Home Basic does not let you change languages. You
    will need to install, clean, a copy of Windows in the preferred language.

    "Billkalbo" <billkalbo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:D5E3DB4A-0143-42A5-99EE-27F3D48B9668@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I just bought a 2nd hand laptop with a legal version of Vista Home Basic
    > but the OS is in Chinese and, you guessed it, I can't read Chinese.
    >
    > I want to use the home basic license and change the operating system
    > language to English but I would rather not do a clean install and loose
    > all of the manufacturers' software.
    >
    > I own a copy of Vista Home Premium that is on my desktop.
    >
    > How can I manage this without buying an English version of Vista? A friend
    > of mine has a Vista Home Basic DVD but I, of course, can't use his
    > license.
    >
    > I'm quite computer literate and if the procedure is beyond me, I have a
    > team of IT people who work for me but I'd rather do this myself if at all
    > possible.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Kalbo
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  10. Saucy

    Saucy Guest

    Suppose a person obtained and installed Windows Vista Ultimate, then
    installed all the language packs - does that enable them to change the
    language of the whole OS on a whim?

    Saucy


    "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
    news:C6D79003-1B3A-481C-8D0F-3E1FD98732DB@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Sorry, can't be done. Home Basic does not let you change languages. You
    > will need to install, clean, a copy of Windows in the preferred language.
    >
    > "Billkalbo" <billkalbo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > news:D5E3DB4A-0143-42A5-99EE-27F3D48B9668@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> I just bought a 2nd hand laptop with a legal version of Vista Home Basic
    >> but the OS is in Chinese and, you guessed it, I can't read Chinese.
    >>
    >> I want to use the home basic license and change the operating system
    >> language to English but I would rather not do a clean install and loose
    >> all of the manufacturers' software.
    >>
    >> I own a copy of Vista Home Premium that is on my desktop.
    >>
    >> How can I manage this without buying an English version of Vista? A
    >> friend of mine has a Vista Home Basic DVD but I, of course, can't use his
    >> license.
    >>
    >> I'm quite computer literate and if the procedure is beyond me, I have a
    >> team of IT people who work for me but I'd rather do this myself if at all
    >> possible.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Kalbo
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  11. Try it and let me know. I have never had the need nor desire to.

    "Saucy" <saucylemon@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
    news:#XDzixBLKHA.5956@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Suppose a person obtained and installed Windows Vista Ultimate, then
    > installed all the language packs - does that enable them to change the
    > language of the whole OS on a whim?
    >
    > Saucy
    >
    >
    > "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
    > news:C6D79003-1B3A-481C-8D0F-3E1FD98732DB@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Sorry, can't be done. Home Basic does not let you change languages. You
    >> will need to install, clean, a copy of Windows in the preferred language.
    >>
    >> "Billkalbo" <billkalbo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> news:D5E3DB4A-0143-42A5-99EE-27F3D48B9668@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> I just bought a 2nd hand laptop with a legal version of Vista Home Basic
    >>> but the OS is in Chinese and, you guessed it, I can't read Chinese.
    >>>
    >>> I want to use the home basic license and change the operating system
    >>> language to English but I would rather not do a clean install and loose
    >>> all of the manufacturers' software.
    >>>
    >>> I own a copy of Vista Home Premium that is on my desktop.
    >>>
    >>> How can I manage this without buying an English version of Vista? A
    >>> friend of mine has a Vista Home Basic DVD but I, of course, can't use
    >>> his license.
    >>>
    >>> I'm quite computer literate and if the procedure is beyond me, I have a
    >>> team of IT people who work for me but I'd rather do this myself if at
    >>> all possible.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Kalbo
    >>> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  12. Peter Foldes

    Peter Foldes Guest

    No. It will only change the Menu's and the language in the actual screen that is
    open but not all and it certainly does not change the OS completely over to the
    language that is selected. If the OS came in Chinese then the OS will stay in
    Chinese. To have it changed to English (example: Registry,Event Viewer,all tools the
    GUI will stay in Chinese) you need to install the English version

    --
    Peter

    Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

    "Saucy" <saucylemon@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
    news:%23XDzixBLKHA.5956@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Suppose a person obtained and installed Windows Vista Ultimate, then installed all
    > the language packs - does that enable them to change the language of the whole OS
    > on a whim?
    >
    > Saucy
    >
    >
    > "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
    > news:C6D79003-1B3A-481C-8D0F-3E1FD98732DB@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Sorry, can't be done. Home Basic does not let you change languages. You will
    >> need to install, clean, a copy of Windows in the preferred language.
    >>
    >> "Billkalbo" <billkalbo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> news:D5E3DB4A-0143-42A5-99EE-27F3D48B9668@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> I just bought a 2nd hand laptop with a legal version of Vista Home Basic but the
    >>> OS is in Chinese and, you guessed it, I can't read Chinese.
    >>>
    >>> I want to use the home basic license and change the operating system language to
    >>> English but I would rather not do a clean install and loose all of the
    >>> manufacturers' software.
    >>>
    >>> I own a copy of Vista Home Premium that is on my desktop.
    >>>
    >>> How can I manage this without buying an English version of Vista? A friend of
    >>> mine has a Vista Home Basic DVD but I, of course, can't use his license.
    >>>
    >>> I'm quite computer literate and if the procedure is beyond me, I have a team of
    >>> IT people who work for me but I'd rather do this myself if at all possible.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Kalbo
    >>> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  13. Saucy

    Saucy Guest

    OK. 'Will do, God willing. lol

    Saucy



    "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
    news:ACCAC045-1311-497F-A451-71B275319C83@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Try it and let me know. I have never had the need nor desire to.
    >
    > "Saucy" <saucylemon@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
    > news:#XDzixBLKHA.5956@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Suppose a person obtained and installed Windows Vista Ultimate, then
    >> installed all the language packs - does that enable them to change the
    >> language of the whole OS on a whim?
    >>
    >> Saucy
    >>
    >>
    >> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
    >> news:C6D79003-1B3A-481C-8D0F-3E1FD98732DB@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Sorry, can't be done. Home Basic does not let you change languages.
    >>> You will need to install, clean, a copy of Windows in the preferred
    >>> language.
    >>>
    >>> "Billkalbo" <billkalbo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> news:D5E3DB4A-0143-42A5-99EE-27F3D48B9668@microsoft.com...
    >>>> I just bought a 2nd hand laptop with a legal version of Vista Home
    >>>> Basic but the OS is in Chinese and, you guessed it, I can't read
    >>>> Chinese.
    >>>>
    >>>> I want to use the home basic license and change the operating system
    >>>> language to English but I would rather not do a clean install and loose
    >>>> all of the manufacturers' software.
    >>>>
    >>>> I own a copy of Vista Home Premium that is on my desktop.
    >>>>
    >>>> How can I manage this without buying an English version of Vista? A
    >>>> friend of mine has a Vista Home Basic DVD but I, of course, can't use
    >>>> his license.
    >>>>
    >>>> I'm quite computer literate and if the procedure is beyond me, I have a
    >>>> team of IT people who work for me but I'd rather do this myself if at
    >>>> all possible.
    >>>>
    >>>> Regards,
    >>>>
    >>>> Kalbo
    >>>> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  14. Bill Sharpe

    Bill Sharpe Guest

    Billkalbo wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I'm not laying down that easy. I have a bunch of IT guys who I know can
    > get me an English recovery disk but the tricky part comes with the
    > license. Is there a way to use the license that came with the Chinese
    > version to install the English version?
    >
    > Kalbo
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    Isn't your time and the IT guys time worth more money than the cost of
    the Vista English version? Oh, and if you wait a month or so you can
    install Windows 7.

    Bill
     

Share This Page