1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Change default destination folder for extracted .zip files.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Amandar097, Sep 8, 2009.

  1. Amandar097

    Amandar097 Guest

    Hello,

    I download several .zip files a day, and when I extract them, the default
    destination folder is Documents. Is there any way to change the default to
    another folder?

    I am using Vista Home Edition.

    Thanks,
    Amanda
     
  2. Jon

    Jon Guest

    "Amandar097" <Amandar097@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:8C9F1E35-9546-42C6-AAEE-EA12223C2960@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hello,
    >
    > I download several .zip files a day, and when I extract them, the default
    > destination folder is Documents. Is there any way to change the default
    > to
    > another folder?
    >
    > I am using Vista Home Edition.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Amanda<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    The default folder is usually the same folder as the .zip file, so I suppose
    you could shift them elsewhere before extracting.

    --
    Jon
     
  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 11:50:18 -0700, Amandar097
    <Amandar097@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >Hello,
    >
    >I download several .zip files a day, and when I extract them, the default
    >destination folder is Documents. Is there any way to change the default to
    >another folder?
    >
    >I am using Vista Home Edition.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Amanda<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    When you go to unzip does it not give a "browse" box ? ( box with 2 or
    3 dots ... )
     
  4. Amandar097

    Amandar097 Guest

    Yes it does, but I have to browse to the correct folder everytime I extract a
    file. I want to change the default save folder.

    "Jim" wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 11:50:18 -0700, Amandar097
    > <Amandar097@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > >Hello,
    > >
    > >I download several .zip files a day, and when I extract them, the default
    > >destination folder is Documents. Is there any way to change the default to
    > >another folder?
    > >
    > >I am using Vista Home Edition.
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >Amanda<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > When you go to unzip does it not give a "browse" box ? ( box with 2 or
    > 3 dots ... )
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. vista bill

    vista bill Guest

    On Sep 8, 5:37 pm, Amandar097 <Amandar...@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Yes it does, but I have to browse to the correct folder everytime I extract a
    > file.  I want to change the default save folder.
    >
    >
    >
    > "Jim" wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 11:50:18 -0700, Amandar097
    > > <Amandar...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >Hello,<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >I download several .zip files a day, and when I extract them, the default
    > > >destination folder is Documents.  Is there any way to change the default to
    > > >another folder?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >I am using Vista Home Edition.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >Thanks,
    > > >Amanda<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > When you go to unzip does it not give a "browse" box ? ( box with 2 or
    > > 3 dots     ...        )- Hide quoted text -<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > - Show quoted text -<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    When I download zip files, I save 'em to my desktop. Then, after I
    create a folder for them, I put the zip file in the folder and extract
    the file.

    Bill
     
  6. +Bob+

    +Bob+ Guest

    On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 14:37:19 -0700, Amandar097
    <Amandar097@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >Yes it does, but I have to browse to the correct folder everytime I extract a
    >file. I want to change the default save folder.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Seems to be a known issue with Vista. Lots of programs default to
    Documents when generating fresh files, despite the fact that you've
    changed them just moments before to use a different folder. The same
    applications work fine in XP. Looks like another Vista "feature".
     

Share This Page