1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't delete folder from ExHH-Permissions problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by flycaster, Sep 14, 2009.

  1. flycaster

    flycaster Guest

    Until Vista and its permissions came along, I used to be able to
    navigate fairly well within my computer. But now I feel like a beginner
    whenever I get stopped by the dreaded (at least to me) "You need
    permission to perform this task."

    I have an external drive (holds about 100GB) that I have been using to
    back up files and stuff. However, I want to delete many folders from the
    EHD and better streamline my backups, and when I try to do so, I get the
    dreaded... I mean, like I have Adobe on the EHD, why can't I simply
    delete it. As far as I can tell I am the administrator, so shouldn't I
    be able to delete stuff from the EHD without all this hassle?

    For example, here's what I tried to no avail: I selected Adobe on my
    EHD, right clicked it and selected Properties>Security. There I see
    that, among other things, I have "Full Control"...So why can't I now
    delete this folder. Reading through the inherited stuff (some stuff I
    want to delete came from XP and I have Vista HP)and permissions is the
    ultimate confusion exercise. I do want to try to maintain security on
    the computer (although I and my wife are its only users), so I'm
    reluctant to undo UAC-which I think will get rid of all these permission
    walls??? Can anyone please help me before I have the next drink? Thanks.

    BTW I naively thought that if I turned UAC off, then permissions would
    go away...but Noooo.


    --
    flycaster
     
  2. Dave-UK

    Dave-UK Guest

    "flycaster" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:b80515dd7ed40ddb25acdf98259fdca4@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Until Vista and its permissions came along, I used to be able to
    > navigate fairly well within my computer. But now I feel like a beginner
    > whenever I get stopped by the dreaded (at least to me) "You need
    > permission to perform this task."
    >
    > I have an external drive (holds about 100GB) that I have been using to
    > back up files and stuff. However, I want to delete many folders from the
    > EHD and better streamline my backups, and when I try to do so, I get the
    > dreaded... I mean, like I have Adobe on the EHD, why can't I simply
    > delete it. As far as I can tell I am the administrator, so shouldn't I
    > be able to delete stuff from the EHD without all this hassle?
    >
    > For example, here's what I tried to no avail: I selected Adobe on my
    > EHD, right clicked it and selected Properties>Security. There I see
    > that, among other things, I have "Full Control"...So why can't I now
    > delete this folder. Reading through the inherited stuff (some stuff I
    > want to delete came from XP and I have Vista HP)and permissions is the
    > ultimate confusion exercise. I do want to try to maintain security on
    > the computer (although I and my wife are its only users), so I'm
    > reluctant to undo UAC-which I think will get rid of all these permission
    > walls??? Can anyone please help me before I have the next drink? Thanks.
    >
    > BTW I naively thought that if I turned UAC off, then permissions would
    > go away...but Noooo.
    >
    >
    > --
    > flycaster<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    You probably need to take ownership of the files and folders. The quickest way
    is to add the option to your right-click menu.
    This reg file will add a right-click context menu ' Take Ownership '.
    Copy and paste into a blank text document and save the file as ' Ownership.reg '.
    Right-click the reg file and select ' Merge'.
    Now right-click the offending files and take ownership.
    (A dos box will open and it may take a few seconds to process a lot of files.)
    Once you have ownership you can delete/rename the files.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    If you want to reverse the registry changes use this reg file:


    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
     
  3. flycaster

    flycaster Guest

    Dave, thanks for the suggetion. I would like to try it, but I do have a
    fear of messing with the registry. In fact, I'm not even sure how to
    get into the registry. I thought that I simply type in "regedit" into
    the Vista HP 64's "Start Search." However, when I did that, it appears
    that I got to the Registry Editor" window, but nothing would open. No
    matter which file/folder I clicked in the left pane, the right pane
    would always show ab(Default) as the name, REG_SZ as the type and (value
    not set) for Data. Furthermore, assuming that I do get to use the
    regedit, just where is the change to be placed and do I simply copy all
    that you have written under "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" and
    paste it there? Lastly, when doing this will this open my computer to
    easy hacking and virus attacks? Sorry for all the questions, but I just
    want to be sure I am doing the right thing.


    --
    flycaster
     
  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

  5. Dave-UK

    Dave-UK Guest

    "flycaster" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:8b9e8915693818599ce9f0b3e1be735b@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Dave, thanks for the suggetion. I would like to try it, but I do have a
    > fear of messing with the registry. In fact, I'm not even sure how to
    > get into the registry. I thought that I simply type in "regedit" into
    > the Vista HP 64's "Start Search." However, when I did that, it appears
    > that I got to the Registry Editor" window, but nothing would open. No
    > matter which file/folder I clicked in the left pane, the right pane
    > would always show ab(Default) as the name, REG_SZ as the type and (value
    > not set) for Data. Furthermore, assuming that I do get to use the
    > regedit, just where is the change to be placed and do I simply copy all
    > that you have written under "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" and
    > paste it there? Lastly, when doing this will this open my computer to
    > easy hacking and virus attacks? Sorry for all the questions, but I just
    > want to be sure I am doing the right thing.
    >
    >
    > --
    > flycaster<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Ok, if you prefer not to use the registry hack then I Googled this file unlocker:

    (I haven't used it so I don't know how good it is.)

    Good luck.
     
  6. flycaster

    flycaster Guest

    Used Bob's link. Overall, it worked quite well. However, there were
    couple of folders/files that brought up an alert that "Window's
    operating system was not working..." and Windows would try to come up
    with a solution. The file/folder was not deleted in this case. Any
    ideas as to why this was happening, or what it meant?


    --
    flycaster
     
  7. Dave-UK

    Dave-UK Guest

    "flycaster" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:ca2b6d44fb67b4222e8603259320e9c7@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Used Bob's link. Overall, it worked quite well. However, there were
    > couple of folders/files that brought up an alert that "Window's
    > operating system was not working..." and Windows would try to come up
    > with a solution. The file/folder was not deleted in this case. Any
    > ideas as to why this was happening, or what it meant?
    >
    >
    > --
    > flycaster<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    No idea. Maybe that unlocker program would delete them.
     

Share This Page