1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't delete empty folder

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Valorie McLaughlin, Sep 11, 2009.

  1. Can someone tell me how to get rid of an empty folder I can't delete? It
    says I *need permission* but I'm the admin and that aggravating safety thing
    in User Accounts is turned off anyway. Unlocker can't delete it either.
    Thanks for any help you can give.
     
  2. Sometimes restarting in a safe mode helps.

    Perhaps the folder it's not empty.
    I usually use command prompt and

    cd \folder
    dir /ah /as

    Then if something is with hidden or system attributes, just turn those
    attribute off.

    attrib -h -s -r somefile.ext

    After that delete usually works.


    "Valorie McLaughlin" <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote in message
    news:uhQcnerMKHA.1312@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Can someone tell me how to get rid of an empty folder I can't delete? It
    > says I *need permission* but I'm the admin and that aggravating safety
    > thing in User Accounts is turned off anyway. Unlocker can't delete it
    > either. Thanks for any help you can give. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. Andy Huang

    Andy Huang Guest

    You should recycle it instead.
     
  4. Rick Rogers

    Rick Rogers Guest

    Hi,

    Click start, type CMD. Right click the entry that appears in the start menu,
    choose 'run as administrator'. Click continue at the UAC prompt. From the
    command line, type:

    CD\<parent_directory>

    RD /s /q <target_directory>

    <parent_directory> should be the upper level folder housing the folder you
    want to remove. <target_directory> would be the name of the folder you want
    to remove.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

    Windows help -

    Vote for my shoe:


    "Valorie McLaughlin" <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote in message
    news:uhQcnerMKHA.1312@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Can someone tell me how to get rid of an empty folder I can't delete? It
    > says I *need permission* but I'm the admin and that aggravating safety
    > thing in User Accounts is turned off anyway. Unlocker can't delete it
    > either. Thanks for any help you can give. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 03:12:47 -0500, "Valorie McLaughlin"
    <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >Can someone tell me how to get rid of an empty folder I can't delete? It
    >says I *need permission* but I'm the admin and that aggravating safety thing
    >in User Accounts is turned off anyway. Unlocker can't delete it either.
    >Thanks for any help you can give. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    With Unlocker , tell it to delete at reboot ?
     
  6. "Jim" <bojimbo261@aol.com> wrote in message
    news:q8tka5h5e8h6f2tq68teeturbaatiivgaj@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 03:12:47 -0500, "Valorie McLaughlin"
    > <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>Can someone tell me how to get rid of an empty folder I can't delete? It
    >>says I *need permission* but I'm the admin and that aggravating safety
    >>thing
    >>in User Accounts is turned off anyway. Unlocker can't delete it either.
    >>Thanks for any help you can give.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > With Unlocker , tell it to delete at reboot ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    This worked. Thank you for the suggestion.

    To the others: I'm not familiar with the command prompt and have no idea
    what a "parent directory" is but thank you also for your replies.
     
  7. "Andy Huang" <anson198002@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:%23sNwfnrMKHA.1232@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > You should recycle it instead.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    That would not work. I would get the same *need permission* error. Unlocker
    did it on reboot.
     
  8. Andy Huang wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > So bring it to a local Dept of Environmental Protection.
    > Don't try to recycle toxic ahhsets yourself.
    > By the way, this is the gayest folder I ever seen<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Are you into gay folders? What constitutes a gay folder? Do you have sex with them?
     
  9. Andy Huang

    Andy Huang Guest

    So bring it to a local Dept of Environmental Protection.
    Don't try to recycle toxic ahhsets yourself.
    By the way, this is the gayest folder I ever seen
     
  10. Andy Huang

    Andy Huang Guest

    A Gay folder is defined as a cheerful & blue one. As per 1950's definition.
     
  11. Andy Huang wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > A Gay folder is defined as a cheerful & blue one. As per 1950's
    > definition.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    I suggest you visit a Sheep farm.
     
  12. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:16:35 -0500, "Valorie McLaughlin"
    <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    >"Jim" <bojimbo261@aol.com> wrote in message
    >news:q8tka5h5e8h6f2tq68teeturbaatiivgaj@4ax.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 03:12:47 -0500, "Valorie McLaughlin"
    >> <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote:
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>Can someone tell me how to get rid of an empty folder I can't delete? It
    >>>says I *need permission* but I'm the admin and that aggravating safety
    >>>thing
    >>>in User Accounts is turned off anyway. Unlocker can't delete it either.
    >>>Thanks for any help you can give.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> With Unlocker , tell it to delete at reboot ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    >This worked. Thank you for the suggestion.
    >
    >To the others: I'm not familiar with the command prompt and have no idea
    >what a "parent directory" is but thank you also for your replies. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    You`re welcome . :)
     
  13. Andy Huang wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > There's a goat on Route9, New Jersey not far from Morganville.
    > My best friend for 2 years.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I am sure you are correct. Wear protection.
     
  14. Here's what Valorie McLaughlin wrote on 9/11/09:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "Jim" <bojimbo261@aol.com> wrote in message
    > news:q8tka5h5e8h6f2tq68teeturbaatiivgaj@4ax.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 03:12:47 -0500, "Valorie McLaughlin"
    >> <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote:
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>Can someone tell me how to get rid of an empty folder I can't delete? It
    >>>says I *need permission* but I'm the admin and that aggravating safety
    >>> thing
    >>>in User Accounts is turned off anyway. Unlocker can't delete it either.
    >>>Thanks for any help you can give.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> With Unlocker , tell it to delete at reboot ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > This worked. Thank you for the suggestion.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > To the others: I'm not familiar with the command prompt and have no idea what
    > a "parent directory" is but thank you also for your replies.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Get a For Dummies or other beginners' book and learn a few things. If
    you are subject to insomnia you will get an extra benefit from some of
    those books :)

    The above advice might not be suitable for you, of course, depending on
    your needs and interests...if so you can safely (well, maybe not
    *safely*) ignore it.

    --
    Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
     
  15. Andy Huang

    Andy Huang Guest

    There's a goat on Route9, New Jersey not far from Morganville.
    My best friend for 2 years.
     
  16. +Bob+

    +Bob+ Guest

    On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:24:35 -0500, "Andy Huang"
    <anson198002@hotmail.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >There's a goat on Route9, New Jersey not far from Morganville.
    >My best friend for 2 years.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Hey nit-wit. You STILL need to fix the time on your machine.
     
  17. "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
    news:u0kj35yMKHA.3412@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Here's what Valorie McLaughlin wrote on 9/11/09:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> "Jim" <bojimbo261@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> news:q8tka5h5e8h6f2tq68teeturbaatiivgaj@4ax.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 03:12:47 -0500, "Valorie McLaughlin"
    >>> <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Can someone tell me how to get rid of an empty folder I can't delete?
    >>>>It
    >>>>says I *need permission* but I'm the admin and that aggravating safety
    >>>>thing
    >>>>in User Accounts is turned off anyway. Unlocker can't delete it either.
    >>>>Thanks for any help you can give.
    >>>
    >>> With Unlocker , tell it to delete at reboot ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> This worked. Thank you for the suggestion.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> To the others: I'm not familiar with the command prompt and have no idea
    >> what a "parent directory" is but thank you also for your replies.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Get a For Dummies or other beginners' book and learn a few things. If you
    > are subject to insomnia you will get an extra benefit from some of those
    > books :)<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    [​IMG]) I have the books for W98, WXP and Vista. As I recall there was very
    little in there about the command prompt. Since I have no need of it, I
    never learned much about it.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > The above advice might not be suitable for you, of course, depending on
    > your needs and interests...if so you can safely (well, maybe not *safely*)
    > ignore it.
    >
    > --
    > Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  18. Here's what Valorie McLaughlin wrote on 9/12/09:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
    > news:u0kj35yMKHA.3412@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Here's what Valorie McLaughlin wrote on 9/11/09:<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> "Jim" <bojimbo261@aol.com> wrote in message
    >>> news:q8tka5h5e8h6f2tq68teeturbaatiivgaj@4ax.com...
    >>>> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 03:12:47 -0500, "Valorie McLaughlin"
    >>>> <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>Can someone tell me how to get rid of an empty folder I can't delete? It
    >>>>>says I *need permission* but I'm the admin and that aggravating safety
    >>>>> thing
    >>>>>in User Accounts is turned off anyway. Unlocker can't delete it either.
    >>>>>Thanks for any help you can give.
    >>>>
    >>>> With Unlocker , tell it to delete at reboot ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> This worked. Thank you for the suggestion.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> To the others: I'm not familiar with the command prompt and have no idea
    >>> what a "parent directory" is but thank you also for your replies.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> Get a For Dummies or other beginners' book and learn a few things. If you
    >> are subject to insomnia you will get an extra benefit from some of those
    >> books :)<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > [​IMG]) I have the books for W98, WXP and Vista. As I recall there was very
    > little in there about the command prompt. Since I have no need of it, I
    > never learned much about it.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I also have "Windows Vista in a Nutshell" (by Preston Gralla, O'Reilly
    Press), which is very oriented to the command prompt. OTOH, I have had
    questions where I often - but not always - failed to find the answer
    there :-(

    Besides, it's not easy reading, IMHO.

    I'm cheating, however. I have more than 30 years of experience in Unix
    shells, DOS, and Windows command lines, inter alia, so I probably(!)
    assume too much about others' interests.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> The above advice might not be suitable for you, of course, depending on
    >> your needs and interests...if so you can safely (well, maybe not *safely*)
    >> ignore it.
    >>
    >> -- Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
    >>
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    --
    Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
     
  19. Mr.Pancks

    Mr.Pancks Guest

    Gene E. Bloch wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Here's what Valorie McLaughlin wrote on 9/12/09:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
    >> news:u0kj35yMKHA.3412@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Here's what Valorie McLaughlin wrote on 9/11/09:
    >>>> "Jim" <bojimbo261@aol.com> wrote in message
    >>>> news:q8tka5h5e8h6f2tq68teeturbaatiivgaj@4ax.com...
    >>>>> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 03:12:47 -0500, "Valorie McLaughlin"
    >>>>> <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>Can someone tell me how to get rid of an empty folder I can't delete?
    >>>>>>It says I *need permission* but I'm the admin and that aggravating
    >>>>>>safety
    >>>>>> thing
    >>>>>>in User Accounts is turned off anyway. Unlocker can't delete it
    >>>>>>either. Thanks for any help you can give.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> With Unlocker , tell it to delete at reboot ?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> This worked. Thank you for the suggestion.
    >>>
    >>>> To the others: I'm not familiar with the command prompt and have no
    >>>> idea what a "parent directory" is but thank you also for your replies.
    >>>
    >>> Get a For Dummies or other beginners' book and learn a few things. If
    >>> you are subject to insomnia you will get an extra benefit from some of
    >>> those books :)<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> [​IMG]) I have the books for W98, WXP and Vista. As I recall there was very
    >> little in there about the command prompt. Since I have no need of it, I
    >> never learned much about it.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > I also have "Windows Vista in a Nutshell" (by Preston Gralla, O'Reilly
    > Press), which is very oriented to the command prompt. OTOH, I have had
    > questions where I often - but not always - failed to find the answer
    > there :-(
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Ed Bott's Windows__Inside Out was always good.
    Not exhaustive on the CLI , but quite a bit to get one started.

    Last one I had was XP, so not sure if a Vista one even exist.

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Besides, it's not easy reading, IMHO.
    >
    > I'm cheating, however. I have more than 30 years of experience in Unix
    > shells, DOS, and Windows command lines, inter alia, so I probably(!)
    > assume too much about others' interests.
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  20. "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
    news:u55$9AANKHA.3192@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Here's what Valorie McLaughlin wrote on 9/12/09:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
    >> news:u0kj35yMKHA.3412@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Here's what Valorie McLaughlin wrote on 9/11/09:
    >>>> "Jim" <bojimbo261@aol.com> wrote in message
    >>>> news:q8tka5h5e8h6f2tq68teeturbaatiivgaj@4ax.com...
    >>>>> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 03:12:47 -0500, "Valorie McLaughlin"
    >>>>> <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>Can someone tell me how to get rid of an empty folder I can't delete?
    >>>>>>It
    >>>>>>says I *need permission* but I'm the admin and that aggravating safety
    >>>>>>thing
    >>>>>>in User Accounts is turned off anyway. Unlocker can't delete it
    >>>>>>either.
    >>>>>>Thanks for any help you can give.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> With Unlocker , tell it to delete at reboot ?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> This worked. Thank you for the suggestion.
    >>>
    >>>> To the others: I'm not familiar with the command prompt and have no
    >>>> idea what a "parent directory" is but thank you also for your replies.
    >>>
    >>> Get a For Dummies or other beginners' book and learn a few things. If
    >>> you are subject to insomnia you will get an extra benefit from some of
    >>> those books :)<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> [​IMG]) I have the books for W98, WXP and Vista. As I recall there was very
    >> little in there about the command prompt. Since I have no need of it, I
    >> never learned much about it.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > I also have "Windows Vista in a Nutshell" (by Preston Gralla, O'Reilly
    > Press), which is very oriented to the command prompt. OTOH, I have had
    > questions where I often - but not always - failed to find the answer there
    > :-(
    >
    > Besides, it's not easy reading, IMHO.
    >
    > I'm cheating, however. I have more than 30 years of experience in Unix
    > shells, DOS, and Windows command lines, inter alia, so I probably(!)
    > assume too much about others' interests.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! [​IMG]) I know what you mean. I started with W95 but
    mostly just did email and some surfing. It's only lately that I have the
    time to do more with my computer and learn more about it.

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> The above advice might not be suitable for you, of course, depending on
    >>> your needs and interests...if so you can safely (well, maybe not
    >>> *safely*) ignore it.
    >>>
    >>> -- Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
    >>>
    >>><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > --
    > Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     

Share This Page