1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Cannot open Task Manager

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Lors, Sep 4, 2009.

  1. Lors

    Lors Guest

    Hello all,

    When I try to open task manager, instead of it opening only the task
    bar icon appears. When I click on it I don't get the normal options,
    only restore/close/always on top and clicking on them doesn't do
    anything. Once the task bar icon appears the whole system slows down and
    the only way to get it back is to restart. I've run several different
    virus scans and none of them pick up anything. I also read about a worm
    that hides by keeping system restore running and that disabling system
    restore allows you to find it. I've tried this and still nothing. I'm
    not sure if it's related but my system restore doesn't work properly
    anyway and only ever shows a restore point in the last 24 hours, so I
    couldn't rollback the system to before the task manager problem
    appeared.

    Hope someone can help, I'm at the hair pulling out stage with this.
    Have spent ages trawling the net for an answer but the only advice I can
    find is 'sounds like a virus, run a virus scan'.

    Cheers,

    Laura


    --
    Lors
    Posted via
     
  2. Dave-UK

    Dave-UK Guest

    "Lors" <Lors.3xztc5@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message news:Lors.3xztc5@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Hello all,
    >
    > When I try to open task manager, instead of it opening only the task
    > bar icon appears. When I click on it I don't get the normal options,
    > only restore/close/always on top and clicking on them doesn't do
    > anything. Once the task bar icon appears the whole system slows down and
    > the only way to get it back is to restart. I've run several different
    > virus scans and none of them pick up anything. I also read about a worm
    > that hides by keeping system restore running and that disabling system
    > restore allows you to find it. I've tried this and still nothing. I'm
    > not sure if it's related but my system restore doesn't work properly
    > anyway and only ever shows a restore point in the last 24 hours, so I
    > couldn't rollback the system to before the task manager problem
    > appeared.
    >
    > Hope someone can help, I'm at the hair pulling out stage with this.
    > Have spent ages trawling the net for an answer but the only advice I can
    > find is 'sounds like a virus, run a virus scan'.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Laura<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    It sounds like your computer has some sort of infection.
    What about trying another task manager; this one's free:

    (Decline all the extra toolbars the install will offer you.)

    Also try Malwarebytes to scan for any malware:

    Boot your computer into safe mode (F8 during boot) and run it.

    Good luck.
     

Share This Page