1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

cannot load setver.exe

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by horst, Sep 12, 2009.

  1. horst

    horst Guest

    I switched to Vista from XP but I have now a problem.
    I am using an old DOS program which needs some settings in SETVER.EXE
    I am asked to load this program in CONFIG.SYS (or CONFIG.NT) and so I
    added there the line
    device="c:\xxx\setver.exe"
    But when I call setver.exe it says that it is not loaded.
    I have been able to load this program in Windows 2000 and XP without problem
    Somebody can please help me?
    horst
     
  2. Use Virtual PC and install DOS inside virtual machine.

    "horst" <hweXXX13@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
    news:e8Tk$k$MKHA.3284@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I switched to Vista from XP but I have now a problem.
    > I am using an old DOS program which needs some settings in SETVER.EXE
    > I am asked to load this program in CONFIG.SYS (or CONFIG.NT) and so I
    > added there the line
    > device="c:xxxsetver.exe"
    > But when I call setver.exe it says that it is not loaded.
    > I have been able to load this program in Windows 2000 and XP without
    > problem
    > Somebody can please help me?
    > horst <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. horst

    horst Guest

    Thank you.
    Which virtual machine would you suggest?
    horst

    On 13.09.2009 00:47, Dusko Savatovic wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Use Virtual PC and install DOS inside virtual machine.
    >
    > "horst" <hweXXX13@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
    > news:e8Tk$k$MKHA.3284@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> I switched to Vista from XP but I have now a problem.
    >> I am using an old DOS program which needs some settings in SETVER.EXE
    >> I am asked to load this program in CONFIG.SYS (or CONFIG.NT) and so I
    >> added there the line
    >> device="c:xxxsetver.exe"
    >> But when I call setver.exe it says that it is not loaded.
    >> I have been able to load this program in Windows 2000 and XP without
    >> problem
    >> Somebody can please help me?
    >> horst <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  4. Saucy

    Saucy Guest

    lol

    He said Virtual PC - that's a Microsoft product. It's available as "Virtual
    PC" for Windows 7 and as "Virtual PC 2007" for other versions of Windows.
    The one for Windows 7 makes use of virtualization enhancements in the more
    modern hardware - your CPU etc. must be capable - otherwise use Virtual PC
    2007:


    [Virtual PC for Windows 7]


    [Virtual PC for other versions of Windows or if no hardware assisted
    virtualization]



    Saucy



    "horst" <hweXXX13@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
    news:ebrqciGNKHA.504@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Thank you.
    > Which virtual machine would you suggest?
    > horst
    >
    > On 13.09.2009 00:47, Dusko Savatovic wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Use Virtual PC and install DOS inside virtual machine.
    >>
    >> "horst" <hweXXX13@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
    >> news:e8Tk$k$MKHA.3284@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> I switched to Vista from XP but I have now a problem.
    >>> I am using an old DOS program which needs some settings in SETVER.EXE
    >>> I am asked to load this program in CONFIG.SYS (or CONFIG.NT) and so I
    >>> added there the line
    >>> device="c:xxxsetver.exe"
    >>> But when I call setver.exe it says that it is not loaded.
    >>> I have been able to load this program in Windows 2000 and XP without
    >>> problem
    >>> Somebody can please help me?
    >>> horst<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. Bill Leary

    Bill Leary Guest

    "horst" <hweXXX13@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
    news:e8Tk$k$MKHA.3284@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I switched to Vista from XP but I have now a problem.
    > I am using an old DOS program which needs some settings in SETVER.EXE
    > I am asked to load this program in CONFIG.SYS (or CONFIG.NT) and so I
    > added there the line
    > device="c:xxxsetver.exe"<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Assuming you've got a normal Vista installation, do one of these:

    Solution 1:
    Gets SETVER.EXE to be loaded for EVERY DOS program.

    Go to C:\Windows\System32 and edit the CONFIG.NT you'll find there.

    You have to edit this as administrator or it won't let you save it. (see
    note at end)

    Add
    device=%SystemRoot%\system32\setver.exe

    and save it.

    Run your program.

    The drawback to this is that you're now loading SETVER.EXE in every DOS
    program or command session.

    Solution 2:
    Loads SETVER.EXE for ONLY the specific program you want.

    Copy the above CONFIG.NT somewhere else. Probably to the same directory
    where the program you want SETVER for is.

    Edit that version, adding the above noted line.

    Right click the program you want SETVER for.

    Go to Properties -> Program -> Advanced

    Modify the Config file name path you see there to match the CONFIG.NT you
    just edited.

    Save it all, run your program.

    Solution 3:
    Loads SETVER.EXE for a special command prompt.

    Create a shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\COMMAND.COM

    Note: Not CMD.EXE. CMD.EXE will not allow you to modify the path to
    CONFIG.NT.

    Then repeat the steps above to create a local CONFIG.NT and point the
    shortcut to it.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > But when I call setver.exe it says that it is not loaded.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Probably edited C:\CONFIG.NT, which won't work.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I have been able to load this program in Windows 2000 and XP without
    > problem
    > Somebody can please help me?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    See if any of the above works.

    Note that I didn't test the above. These comment are my memory of how I've
    done it for cases where I had to have SETVER work as it did for ME or XP.
    So, if you get stuck, tell me which one of the above you were trying and
    I'll debug it.

    - Bill

    "Note at end:" In order to save this file, in this directory, you have to
    edit it as administrator. There are probably other ways to accomplish this,
    but what I usually do is start a command prompt by right clicking and
    selecting the "Run as administrator" option. Then CD to the correct
    directory and just type EDIT CONFIG.NT. When I save it that way, there are
    no complaints.
     
  6. horst

    horst Guest

    Thank you for your detailed explanations.
    But unfortunately it doesn't work.
    I program SETVER, it says that table has been changed and it will be
    activated on the next reboot. But after rebooting nothing changed!
    Vista makes me really crappy!
    horst

    On 14.09.2009 03:42, Bill Leary wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "horst" <hweXXX13@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
    > news:e8Tk$k$MKHA.3284@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> I switched to Vista from XP but I have now a problem.
    >> I am using an old DOS program which needs some settings in SETVER.EXE
    >> I am asked to load this program in CONFIG.SYS (or CONFIG.NT) and so I
    >> added there the line
    >> device="c:xxxsetver.exe"<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Assuming you've got a normal Vista installation, do one of these:
    >
    > Solution 1:
    > Gets SETVER.EXE to be loaded for EVERY DOS program.
    >
    > Go to C:WindowsSystem32 and edit the CONFIG.NT you'll find there.
    >
    > You have to edit this as administrator or it won't let you save it. (see
    > note at end)
    >
    > Add
    > device=%SystemRoot%system32setver.exe
    >
    > and save it.
    >
    > Run your program.
    >
    > The drawback to this is that you're now loading SETVER.EXE in every DOS
    > program or command session.
    >
    > Solution 2:
    > Loads SETVER.EXE for ONLY the specific program you want.
    >
    > Copy the above CONFIG.NT somewhere else. Probably to the same directory
    > where the program you want SETVER for is.
    >
    > Edit that version, adding the above noted line.
    >
    > Right click the program you want SETVER for.
    >
    > Go to Properties -> Program -> Advanced
    >
    > Modify the Config file name path you see there to match the CONFIG.NT
    > you just edited.
    >
    > Save it all, run your program.
    >
    > Solution 3:
    > Loads SETVER.EXE for a special command prompt.
    >
    > Create a shortcut to C:WindowsSystem32COMMAND.COM
    >
    > Note: Not CMD.EXE. CMD.EXE will not allow you to modify the path to
    > CONFIG.NT.
    >
    > Then repeat the steps above to create a local CONFIG.NT and point the
    > shortcut to it.
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> But when I call setver.exe it says that it is not loaded.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Probably edited C:CONFIG.NT, which won't work.
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> I have been able to load this program in Windows 2000 and XP without
    >> problem
    >> Somebody can please help me?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > See if any of the above works.
    >
    > Note that I didn't test the above. These comment are my memory of how
    > I've done it for cases where I had to have SETVER work as it did for ME
    > or XP. So, if you get stuck, tell me which one of the above you were
    > trying and I'll debug it.
    >
    > - Bill
    >
    > "Note at end:" In order to save this file, in this directory, you have
    > to edit it as administrator. There are probably other ways to
    > accomplish this, but what I usually do is start a command prompt by
    > right clicking and selecting the "Run as administrator" option. Then CD
    > to the correct directory and just type EDIT CONFIG.NT. When I save it
    > that way, there are no complaints.
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     

Share This Page