1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Brand New Computer Continually Reboots

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mason204, Sep 2, 2009.

  1. mason204

    mason204 Guest

    Hi:

    I hope someone can help.

    My new laptop arrived this afternoon. I turned it on, it was working
    fine. I'm using Vista Home Premium. I installed CA Anti-virus software
    and after the installation my computer restarted. Since then, I haven't
    been able to get to the desktop. I get the BSOD with an arrow. After
    about 30 seconds displaying the BSOD, it automatically reboots and
    repeats the cycle continuously. I've tried F8 upon restart and chose
    last known configuration but I get the same BSOD. I also tried to get
    into safe mode but after choosing the option it goes back to the BSOD.

    I'm new to Vista and in all my years have never seen anything like
    this. I used my brand new computer for all of 10 minutes before this
    happened. I'm so pissed off.

    I've tried CA tech support and calling Tiger Direct (where I bought the
    computer) but no help.

    How can I get into the computer to fix the problem? I'm wondering if
    it was the virus software or the DVD drive? It was the first time I'd
    ever used the drive.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thank you
    Cheryl.


    --
    mason204
     
  2. Rick Rogers

    Rick Rogers Guest

    Hi,

    Did you uninstall any preinstalled antivirus software first? That's more
    than likely the source of your problem as multiple active AV programs will
    always conflict. Since it's new, just use whatever recovery method the
    manufacturer provided and start cleanly.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

    Windows help -

    Vote for my shoe:


    "mason204" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    news:0206560ddb95091c4475e6c543299fd8@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Hi:
    >
    > I hope someone can help.
    >
    > My new laptop arrived this afternoon. I turned it on, it was working
    > fine. I'm using Vista Home Premium. I installed CA Anti-virus software
    > and after the installation my computer restarted. Since then, I haven't
    > been able to get to the desktop. I get the BSOD with an arrow. After
    > about 30 seconds displaying the BSOD, it automatically reboots and
    > repeats the cycle continuously. I've tried F8 upon restart and chose
    > last known configuration but I get the same BSOD. I also tried to get
    > into safe mode but after choosing the option it goes back to the BSOD.
    >
    > I'm new to Vista and in all my years have never seen anything like
    > this. I used my brand new computer for all of 10 minutes before this
    > happened. I'm so pissed off.
    >
    > I've tried CA tech support and calling Tiger Direct (where I bought the
    > computer) but no help.
    >
    > How can I get into the computer to fix the problem? I'm wondering if
    > it was the virus software or the DVD drive? It was the first time I'd
    > ever used the drive.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Cheryl.
    >
    >
    > --
    > mason204 <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. Return it back to the shop and claim your warranty. Seriosly.
    The new computer must not reboot and BSOD.
    And don't take excuses like:
    "It's common for Microsoft OS's"
    "Go to Antivirus manufacturer"
    "Go to driver manufacturer"
    etc

    In fact return it and say it just stop working. There's no need to explain
    anything, they must be qualified enough to troubleshoot the problem. Demand
    that they give you another computer or a refund.

    BTW, I suspect it's hardware. Most likely:
    - motherboard
    - memory stick
    - processor

    Sometimes, the problem might be in connections. In that case disassembling
    and reassembling the computer may help. But this is not something you should
    do yourself on a new computer.



    "mason204" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    news:0206560ddb95091c4475e6c543299fd8@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Hi:
    >
    > I hope someone can help.
    >
    > My new laptop arrived this afternoon. I turned it on, it was working
    > fine. I'm using Vista Home Premium. I installed CA Anti-virus software
    > and after the installation my computer restarted. Since then, I haven't
    > been able to get to the desktop. I get the BSOD with an arrow. After
    > about 30 seconds displaying the BSOD, it automatically reboots and
    > repeats the cycle continuously. I've tried F8 upon restart and chose
    > last known configuration but I get the same BSOD. I also tried to get
    > into safe mode but after choosing the option it goes back to the BSOD.
    >
    > I'm new to Vista and in all my years have never seen anything like
    > this. I used my brand new computer for all of 10 minutes before this
    > happened. I'm so pissed off.
    >
    > I've tried CA tech support and calling Tiger Direct (where I bought the
    > computer) but no help.
    >
    > How can I get into the computer to fix the problem? I'm wondering if
    > it was the virus software or the DVD drive? It was the first time I'd
    > ever used the drive.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Cheryl.
    >
    >
    > --
    > mason204 <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  4. Not that it can't be hardware, but I actually have seen antivirus software
    cause this problem many times before. Here's a few quick things that I'd
    try before returning the computer and antivirus software:

    System Restore - While booting your computer, keep pressing the F8 key. You
    want to hit it after your computer POST's, but before you see the Windows
    loading screen. Once there, choose the option to Repair Your Computer and
    try running System Restore to before you installed CA.

    Safe Mode - By pressing F8 during boot you may also get the choice to boot
    into Safe Mode. If you can boot into Safe Mode (a stripped down version of
    Windows for diagnostic purposes) then try removing CA from there.

    Factory Restore - Finally, if there's nothing important on the computer, you
    may also see an option for Factory Restore under the Repair Your Computer
    menu. This will wipe all data (including CA) from the drive and restore it
    to how you first got it.

    Good luck!

    - Henson

    "mason204" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    news:0206560ddb95091c4475e6c543299fd8@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Hi:
    >
    > I hope someone can help.
    >
    > My new laptop arrived this afternoon. I turned it on, it was working
    > fine. I'm using Vista Home Premium. I installed CA Anti-virus software
    > and after the installation my computer restarted. Since then, I haven't
    > been able to get to the desktop. I get the BSOD with an arrow. After
    > about 30 seconds displaying the BSOD, it automatically reboots and
    > repeats the cycle continuously. I've tried F8 upon restart and chose
    > last known configuration but I get the same BSOD. I also tried to get
    > into safe mode but after choosing the option it goes back to the BSOD.
    >
    > I'm new to Vista and in all my years have never seen anything like
    > this. I used my brand new computer for all of 10 minutes before this
    > happened. I'm so pissed off.
    >
    > I've tried CA tech support and calling Tiger Direct (where I bought the
    > computer) but no help.
    >
    > How can I get into the computer to fix the problem? I'm wondering if
    > it was the virus software or the DVD drive? It was the first time I'd
    > ever used the drive.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Cheryl.
    >
    >
    > --
    > mason204 <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. A new computer should not be doing this. Restore it to factory condition,
    if the problem persists return it for warranty repair or replacement.

    "mason204" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    news:0206560ddb95091c4475e6c543299fd8@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Hi:
    >
    > I hope someone can help.
    >
    > My new laptop arrived this afternoon. I turned it on, it was working
    > fine. I'm using Vista Home Premium. I installed CA Anti-virus software
    > and after the installation my computer restarted. Since then, I haven't
    > been able to get to the desktop. I get the BSOD with an arrow. After
    > about 30 seconds displaying the BSOD, it automatically reboots and
    > repeats the cycle continuously. I've tried F8 upon restart and chose
    > last known configuration but I get the same BSOD. I also tried to get
    > into safe mode but after choosing the option it goes back to the BSOD.
    >
    > I'm new to Vista and in all my years have never seen anything like
    > this. I used my brand new computer for all of 10 minutes before this
    > happened. I'm so pissed off.
    >
    > I've tried CA tech support and calling Tiger Direct (where I bought the
    > computer) but no help.
    >
    > How can I get into the computer to fix the problem? I'm wondering if
    > it was the virus software or the DVD drive? It was the first time I'd
    > ever used the drive.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Cheryl.
    >
    >
    > --
    > mason204 <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  6. "mason204" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    news:0206560ddb95091c4475e6c543299fd8@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Hi:
    >
    > I hope someone can help.
    >
    > My new laptop arrived this afternoon. I turned it on, it was working
    > fine. I'm using Vista Home Premium. I installed CA Anti-virus software
    > and after the installation my computer restarted. Since then, I haven't
    > been able to get to the desktop. I get the BSOD with an arrow. After
    > about 30 seconds displaying the BSOD, it automatically reboots and
    > repeats the cycle continuously. I've tried F8 upon restart and chose
    > last known configuration but I get the same BSOD. I also tried to get
    > into safe mode but after choosing the option it goes back to the BSOD.
    >
    > I'm new to Vista and in all my years have never seen anything like
    > this. I used my brand new computer for all of 10 minutes before this
    > happened. I'm so pissed off.
    >
    > I've tried CA tech support and calling Tiger Direct (where I bought the
    > computer) but no help.
    >
    > How can I get into the computer to fix the problem? I'm wondering if
    > it was the virus software or the DVD drive? It was the first time I'd
    > ever used the drive.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Cheryl.
    >
    >
    > --
    > mason204<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->



    The new computer likely came with a 30-90 day trial of an antivirus program
    already installed. You did uninstall this trial program before you installed
    CA Antivirus - right. You do not want 2 antivirus programs running with
    active real time scanning activated. You likely caused the problems you are
    experiencing.

    At this point, restore the computer to out-of the-box condition and start
    again. Your instructions will tell you how to do this.

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
     
  7. "mason204" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    news:0206560ddb95091c4475e6c543299fd8@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Hi:
    >
    > I hope someone can help.
    >
    > My new laptop arrived this afternoon. I turned it on, it was working
    > fine. I'm using Vista Home Premium. I installed CA Anti-virus software
    > and after the installation my computer restarted. Since then, I haven't
    > been able to get to the desktop. I get the BSOD with an arrow. After
    > about 30 seconds displaying the BSOD, it automatically reboots and
    > repeats the cycle continuously. I've tried F8 upon restart and chose
    > last known configuration but I get the same BSOD. I also tried to get
    > into safe mode but after choosing the option it goes back to the BSOD.
    >
    > I'm new to Vista and in all my years have never seen anything like
    > this. I used my brand new computer for all of 10 minutes before this
    > happened. I'm so pissed off.
    >
    > I've tried CA tech support and calling Tiger Direct (where I bought the
    > computer) but no help.
    >
    > How can I get into the computer to fix the problem? I'm wondering if
    > it was the virus software or the DVD drive? It was the first time I'd
    > ever used the drive.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Cheryl.
    >
    >
    > --
    > mason204<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Did you install CA from a CD, maybe an older incompatible version?

    As you admit that, for the first few minutes, the computer worked well
    enough, the manufacturer will expect you to do a full destructive restore
    back to factory settings. You can then uninstall any trial version of a
    virus application which may exist, and follow up with an installation of the
    free version of Avira Anti-Vir or something similar. The main consideration
    is that whatever you install should be compatible..

    --

    Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
     

Share This Page