1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Belarc Reporting Wrong AV Version

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Gary, Sep 9, 2009.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Vista HB SP2

    I'm currently running Avast 4.8.1351, VPS file version 090909-0. When I run
    Belarc Advisor it reports
    avast! antivirus 4.8.1229 [VPS 081122-0].

    Security Center reports avast! is up to date and virus scanning is on but I
    can't tell which version it thinks is running.

    The computer is running great and I would hate to jeopardize it trying to
    fix this little bug.
     
  2. John Galt

    John Galt Guest

    "Gary" <Extension@Invalid> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >Vista HB SP2
    >
    >I'm currently running Avast 4.8.1351, VPS file version 090909-0. When I run
    >Belarc Advisor it reports
    >avast! antivirus 4.8.1229 [VPS 081122-0].
    >
    >Security Center reports avast! is up to date and virus scanning is on but I
    >can't tell which version it thinks is running.
    >
    >The computer is running great and I would hate to jeopardize it trying to
    >fix this little bug. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Fer crissakes, Avast MUST have an internal way to check and see if
    your version is up to date.

    Do NOT depend on Windows to do your update checking.
     
  3. Gary

    Gary Guest

    "John Galt" <galtj@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    news:de4ga5t9odeq600ci4oqgru9ihuboclt0r@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "Gary" <Extension@Invalid> wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>Vista HB SP2
    >>
    >>I'm currently running Avast 4.8.1351, VPS file version 090909-0. When I
    >>run
    >>Belarc Advisor it reports
    >>avast! antivirus 4.8.1229 [VPS 081122-0].
    >>
    >>Security Center reports avast! is up to date and virus scanning is on but
    >>I
    >>can't tell which version it thinks is running.
    >>
    >>The computer is running great and I would hate to jeopardize it trying to
    >>fix this little bug.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Fer crissakes, Avast MUST have an internal way to check and see if
    > your version is up to date.
    >
    > Do NOT depend on Windows to do your update checking.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I'm getting my current info from About avast!... It updates daily.
     
  4. +Bob+

    +Bob+ Guest

    On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 16:24:58 -0400, "Gary" <Extension@Invalid> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >Vista HB SP2
    >
    >I'm currently running Avast 4.8.1351, VPS file version 090909-0. When I run
    >Belarc Advisor it reports
    >avast! antivirus 4.8.1229 [VPS 081122-0].
    >
    >Security Center reports avast! is up to date and virus scanning is on but I
    >can't tell which version it thinks is running.
    >
    >The computer is running great and I would hate to jeopardize it trying to
    >fix this little bug.
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I do this"
    Doctor: "Then don't do that"
     
  5. beauparc

    beauparc Guest

    +Bob+;1131794 Wrote: <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 16:24:58 -0400, "Gary" <Extension@xxxxxx> wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > > >
    > > >Vista HB SP2
    > > >
    > > >I'm currently running Avast 4.8.1351, VPS file version 090909-0. When<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > > I run<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >Belarc Advisor it reports
    > > >avast! antivirus 4.8.1229 [VPS 081122-0].
    > > >
    > > >Security Center reports avast! is up to date and virus scanning is on<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > > but I<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >can't tell which version it thinks is running.
    > > >
    > > >The computer is running great and I would hate to jeopardize it trying<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > > to<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >fix this little bug.
    > > > > > Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I do this"<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > Doctor: "Then don't do that"<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Don't worry about it. Belarc tells me I am running Avira and
    Kaspersky. I'm actually running Norton and have never had either of
    those programmes installed, even as trials [​IMG]


    --
    beauparc
     
  6. John Galt

    John Galt Guest

    "Gary" <Extension@Invalid> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    >"John Galt" <galtj@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    >news:de4ga5t9odeq600ci4oqgru9ihuboclt0r@4ax.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> "Gary" <Extension@Invalid> wrote:
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>Vista HB SP2
    >>>
    >>>I'm currently running Avast 4.8.1351, VPS file version 090909-0. When I
    >>>run
    >>>Belarc Advisor it reports
    >>>avast! antivirus 4.8.1229 [VPS 081122-0].
    >>>
    >>>Security Center reports avast! is up to date and virus scanning is on but
    >>>I
    >>>can't tell which version it thinks is running.
    >>>
    >>>The computer is running great and I would hate to jeopardize it trying to
    >>>fix this little bug.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> Fer crissakes, Avast MUST have an internal way to check and see if
    >> your version is up to date.
    >>
    >> Do NOT depend on Windows to do your update checking.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >I'm getting my current info from About avast!... It updates daily. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Then don't fret about Belarc. DUH.
     
  7. alexdagr8est

    alexdagr8est Guest

    lol more angry replies from dissastified customers of a freeware app. i
    guess we should all create our own programs for free and see if we can
    support them on a daily basis free of charge, always compatible with new
    apps.


    --
    alexdagr8est

    There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary
    and those that dont.
     
  8. Gary wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Vista HB SP2
    >
    > I'm currently running Avast 4.8.1351, VPS file version 090909-0. When I run
    > Belarc Advisor it reports
    > avast! antivirus 4.8.1229 [VPS 081122-0].
    >
    > Security Center reports avast! is up to date and virus scanning is on but I
    > can't tell which version it thinks is running.
    >
    > The computer is running great and I would hate to jeopardize it trying to
    > fix this little bug.
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    What happens after you update the Belarc definition files?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:




    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

    Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

    The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
    killed a great many philosophers.
    ~ Denis Diderot
     
  9. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 19:24:01 -0500, alexdagr8est
    <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    >lol more angry replies from dissastified customers of a freeware app. i
    >guess we should all create our own programs for free and see if we can
    >support them on a daily basis free of charge, always compatible with new
    >apps.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    My Avast ( free edition ) is working gr8 . :)))
     
  10. Gary

    Gary Guest

    "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
    news:OLEec$aMKHA.4124@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Gary wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Vista HB SP2
    >>
    >> I'm currently running Avast 4.8.1351, VPS file version 090909-0. When I
    >> run Belarc Advisor it reports
    >> avast! antivirus 4.8.1229 [VPS 081122-0].
    >>
    >> Security Center reports avast! is up to date and virus scanning is on but
    >> I can't tell which version it thinks is running.
    >>
    >> The computer is running great and I would hate to jeopardize it trying to
    >> fix this little bug.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > What happens after you update the Belarc definition files?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    >
    >
    >

    >
    > They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
    > safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin
    >
    > Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
    > Russell
    >
    > The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
    > killed a great many philosophers.
    > ~ Denis Diderot<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    After the definition file updates the results are the same. I even
    uninstalled Belarc and installed the latest version from their website.
    Same report output.

    Searched through files and the registry and can't find where that old
    version number is stored. Since Avast is running and updating daily, I'll
    disregard what Belarc reports.
     
  11. John Galt

    John Galt Guest

    "Gary" <Extension@Invalid> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >Since Avast is running and updating daily, I'll
    >disregard what Belarc reports. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    DUH.
     
  12. webster72n

    webster72n Guest

    "Gary" <Extension@Invalid> wrote in message
    news:#zl0$shMKHA.4964@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
    > news:OLEec$aMKHA.4124@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Gary wrote:<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Vista HB SP2
    >>>
    >>> I'm currently running Avast 4.8.1351, VPS file version 090909-0. When I
    >>> run Belarc Advisor it reports
    >>> avast! antivirus 4.8.1229 [VPS 081122-0].
    >>>
    >>> Security Center reports avast! is up to date and virus scanning is on
    >>> but I can't tell which version it thinks is running.
    >>>
    >>> The computer is running great and I would hate to jeopardize it trying
    >>> to fix this little bug.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >>
    >> What happens after you update the Belarc definition files?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Bruce Chambers
    >>
    >> Help us help you:
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >>
    >> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
    >> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin
    >>
    >> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
    >> Russell
    >>
    >> The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
    >> killed a great many philosophers.
    >> ~ Denis Diderot<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > After the definition file updates the results are the same. I even
    > uninstalled Belarc and installed the latest version from their website.
    > Same report output.
    >
    > Searched through files and the registry and can't find where that old
    > version number is stored. Since Avast is running and updating daily, I'll
    > disregard what Belarc reports.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Gary, if you have Windows Vista, your virus protection should be listed with
    a question mark as 'unknown'. Belarc supplies information about your
    computers security status only for Windows 2000, XP Pro and 2003 systems.
    Look at the top of your Belarc page, it should tell you what you need to
    know. The fact that your report is telling you a different story is an
    indication that something in your system isn't quite right.
    I am running Avast myself with the above mentioned results.
    Just "FYI" <g>.

    Harry.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  13. Then Don't Use It!

    "Gary" <Extension@Invalid> wrote in message
    news:up4IWuYMKHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Vista HB SP2
    >
    > I'm currently running Avast 4.8.1351, VPS file version 090909-0. When I
    > run Belarc Advisor it reports
    > avast! antivirus 4.8.1229 [VPS 081122-0].
    >
    > Security Center reports avast! is up to date and virus scanning is on but
    > I can't tell which version it thinks is running.
    >
    > The computer is running great and I would hate to jeopardize it trying to
    > fix this little bug.
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     

Share This Page