1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Backup drive shows too much used space

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Rick, Sep 14, 2009.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I do weekly full backups to an 300 GB external USB hard
    drive with the built-in Windows Vista backup program.
    On my entre C: drive I've only used about 100 GB, and
    this of course includes both the OS, apps, and user data
    files.

    I just looked at the J: backup drive in Windows Explorer
    and the pie chart of Properties is showing the Used
    Space as 200 GB which really surprises me. I don't get
    this. On this backup drive there's only a single parent
    folder called RICK. The Properties of this folder shows
    only 21 GB of files. Yet Properties of the drive itself
    shows a pie chart of 200 GB Used Space.

    Something is taking up a lot of extra space on the
    backup drive and I'm not sure what it is.

    I did a Disk Cleanup which found a Recycle Bin that
    hadn't been emptied out, but that only released about 15
    GB.

    If this is any clue: before doing each full backup I
    manually delete the previous week's backup from the hard
    drive.

    Any thoughts? Thanks for any help.
     
  2. "Rick" <rick0726@verizon.net> wrote in message
    news:MPG.2517f2ea815375f3989914@msnews.microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I do weekly full backups to an 300 GB external USB hard
    > drive with the built-in Windows Vista backup program.
    > On my entre C: drive I've only used about 100 GB, and
    > this of course includes both the OS, apps, and user data
    > files.
    >
    > I just looked at the J: backup drive in Windows Explorer
    > and the pie chart of Properties is showing the Used
    > Space as 200 GB which really surprises me. I don't get
    > this. On this backup drive there's only a single parent
    > folder called RICK. The Properties of this folder shows
    > only 21 GB of files. Yet Properties of the drive itself
    > shows a pie chart of 200 GB Used Space.
    >
    > Something is taking up a lot of extra space on the
    > backup drive and I'm not sure what it is.
    >
    > I did a Disk Cleanup which found a Recycle Bin that
    > hadn't been emptied out, but that only released about 15
    > GB.
    >
    > If this is any clue: before doing each full backup I
    > manually delete the previous week's backup from the hard
    > drive.
    >
    > Any thoughts? Thanks for any help.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->



    What Norton product are you using?

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
     
  3. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Hi -- I'm not using any Norton product. Never have.
    Why?

    In article <#5vGglXNKHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
    richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "Rick" <rick0726@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > news:MPG.2517f2ea815375f3989914@msnews.microsoft.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > >I do weekly full backups to an 300 GB external USB hard
    > > drive with the built-in Windows Vista backup program.
    > > On my entre C: drive I've only used about 100 GB, and
    > > this of course includes both the OS, apps, and user data
    > > files.
    > >
    > > I just looked at the J: backup drive in Windows Explorer
    > > and the pie chart of Properties is showing the Used
    > > Space as 200 GB which really surprises me. I don't get
    > > this. On this backup drive there's only a single parent
    > > folder called RICK. The Properties of this folder shows
    > > only 21 GB of files. Yet Properties of the drive itself
    > > shows a pie chart of 200 GB Used Space.
    > >
    > > Something is taking up a lot of extra space on the
    > > backup drive and I'm not sure what it is.
    > >
    > > I did a Disk Cleanup which found a Recycle Bin that
    > > hadn't been emptied out, but that only released about 15
    > > GB.
    > >
    > > If this is any clue: before doing each full backup I
    > > manually delete the previous week's backup from the hard
    > > drive.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts? Thanks for any help.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    >
    > What Norton product are you using?
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  4. Some Norton products do, or used to have this "Protected Recycle Bin" thing,
    which is hidden, and could be the cause of the reduced disk space you're
    seeing.

    I no longer use Norton products but I know that some years ago their
    "SystemWorks" type suites used this protected recycle bin thing, perhaps
    their latest security products still do.

    "Rick" <rick0726@verizon.net> wrote in message
    news:MPG.2518b9fc43c58f78989915@msnews.microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi -- I'm not using any Norton product. Never have.
    > Why?
    >
    > In article <#5vGglXNKHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
    > richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> "Rick" <rick0726@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> news:MPG.2517f2ea815375f3989914@msnews.microsoft.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> >I do weekly full backups to an 300 GB external USB hard
    >> > drive with the built-in Windows Vista backup program.
    >> > On my entre C: drive I've only used about 100 GB, and
    >> > this of course includes both the OS, apps, and user data
    >> > files.
    >> >
    >> > I just looked at the J: backup drive in Windows Explorer
    >> > and the pie chart of Properties is showing the Used
    >> > Space as 200 GB which really surprises me. I don't get
    >> > this. On this backup drive there's only a single parent
    >> > folder called RICK. The Properties of this folder shows
    >> > only 21 GB of files. Yet Properties of the drive itself
    >> > shows a pie chart of 200 GB Used Space.
    >> >
    >> > Something is taking up a lot of extra space on the
    >> > backup drive and I'm not sure what it is.
    >> >
    >> > I did a Disk Cleanup which found a Recycle Bin that
    >> > hadn't been emptied out, but that only released about 15
    >> > GB.
    >> >
    >> > If this is any clue: before doing each full backup I
    >> > manually delete the previous week's backup from the hard
    >> > drive.
    >> >
    >> > Any thoughts? Thanks for any help.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> What Norton product are you using?
    >>
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Thanks -- no, I've never used Norton products.

    Any other thoughts about what could be hogging disk
    space invisibly?

    In article <OC$SbkaNKHA.2036@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>,
    admurray.antispam@nospam.iinet.net.au says...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Some Norton products do, or used to have this "Protected Recycle Bin" thing,
    > which is hidden, and could be the cause of the reduced disk space you're
    > seeing.
    >
    > I no longer use Norton products but I know that some years ago their
    > "SystemWorks" type suites used this protected recycle bin thing, perhaps
    > their latest security products still do.
    >
    > "Rick" <rick0726@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > news:MPG.2518b9fc43c58f78989915@msnews.microsoft.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Hi -- I'm not using any Norton product. Never have.
    > > Why?
    > >
    > > In article <#5vGglXNKHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
    > > richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> "Rick" <rick0726@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > >> news:MPG.2517f2ea815375f3989914@msnews.microsoft.com...
    > >> >I do weekly full backups to an 300 GB external USB hard
    > >> > drive with the built-in Windows Vista backup program.
    > >> > On my entre C: drive I've only used about 100 GB, and
    > >> > this of course includes both the OS, apps, and user data
    > >> > files.
    > >> >
    > >> > I just looked at the J: backup drive in Windows Explorer
    > >> > and the pie chart of Properties is showing the Used
    > >> > Space as 200 GB which really surprises me. I don't get
    > >> > this. On this backup drive there's only a single parent
    > >> > folder called RICK. The Properties of this folder shows
    > >> > only 21 GB of files. Yet Properties of the drive itself
    > >> > shows a pie chart of 200 GB Used Space.
    > >> >
    > >> > Something is taking up a lot of extra space on the
    > >> > backup drive and I'm not sure what it is.
    > >> >
    > >> > I did a Disk Cleanup which found a Recycle Bin that
    > >> > hadn't been emptied out, but that only released about 15
    > >> > GB.
    > >> >
    > >> > If this is any clue: before doing each full backup I
    > >> > manually delete the previous week's backup from the hard
    > >> > drive.
    > >> >
    > >> > Any thoughts? Thanks for any help.
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> What Norton product are you using?
    > >>
    > >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     

Share This Page