1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Backing up and storing the registry

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by species8350, Sep 7, 2009.

  1. species8350

    species8350 Guest

    Hi,

    I have recently backed up the registry (Vista 32 bit).

    Do I need to keep it on the C Drive, or can I move it to a CD-R?

    Thanks

    I made the backup before adding some registry files. Having added
    them, I see no problems. I might overright the backup to take account
    of the changes, then store the file. Any obvious problems here?
     
  2. Rick Rogers

    Rick Rogers Guest

    Hi,
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I have recently backed up the registry (Vista 32 bit).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    How? By exporting the hives or via a third party product like erunt? It may
    affect how you restore them if needed.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Do I need to keep it on the C Drive, or can I move it to a CD-R?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    You can save it anywhere you like, location should be of no consequence.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

    Windows help -

    Vote for my shoe:


    "species8350" <not_here.5.species8350@xoxy.net> wrote in message
    news:9941a98f-c45e-419e-b15f-67f27287a82f@v36g2000yqv.googlegroups.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have recently backed up the registry (Vista 32 bit).
    >
    > Do I need to keep it on the C Drive, or can I move it to a CD-R?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > I made the backup before adding some registry files. Having added
    > them, I see no problems. I might overright the backup to take account
    > of the changes, then store the file. Any obvious problems here? <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. species8350

    species8350 Guest

    On Sep 7, 1:00 pm, "Rick Rogers" <r...@mvps.org> wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi,
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > I have recently backed up the registry (Vista 32 bit).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > How? By exporting the hives or via a third party product like erunt? It may
    > affect how you restore them if needed.
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Do I need to keep it on the C Drive, or can I move it to a CD-R?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > You can save it anywhere you like, location should be of no consequence.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,
    >
    > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help -www.rickrogers.org
    > Vote for my shoe:
    >
    > "species8350" <not_here.5.species8...@xoxy.net> wrote in message
    >
    > news:9941a98f-c45e-419e-b15f-67f27287a82f@v36g2000yqv.googlegroups.com...
    >
    >
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Hi,<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > I have recently backed up the registry (Vista 32 bit).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Do I need to keep it on the C Drive, or can I move it to a CD-R?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Thanks<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > I made the backup before adding some registry files. Having added
    > > them, I see no problems. I might overright the backup to take account
    > > of the changes, then store the file. Any obvious problems here?- Hide quoted text -<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > - Show quoted text -<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Thanks for responding.

    I used the registry editor, exported all.

    As a matter of interest, if I needed to use it what would happen on
    double clicking the file?

    Thanks
     
  4. John Galt

    John Galt Guest

    species8350 <not_here.5.species8350@xoxy.net> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >On Sep 7, 1:00 pm, "Rick Rogers" <r...@mvps.org> wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Hi,
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > I have recently backed up the registry (Vista 32 bit).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> How? By exporting the hives or via a third party product like erunt? It may
    >> affect how you restore them if needed.
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > Do I need to keep it on the C Drive, or can I move it to a CD-R?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> You can save it anywhere you like, location should be of no consequence.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,
    >>
    >> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help -www.rickrogers.org
    >> Vote for my shoe:
    >>
    >> "species8350" <not_here.5.species8...@xoxy.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:9941a98f-c45e-419e-b15f-67f27287a82f@v36g2000yqv.googlegroups.com...
    >>
    >>
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > Hi,<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > I have recently backed up the registry (Vista 32 bit).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > Do I need to keep it on the C Drive, or can I move it to a CD-R?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > Thanks<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > I made the backup before adding some registry files. Having added
    >> > them, I see no problems. I might overright the backup to take account
    >> > of the changes, then store the file. Any obvious problems here?- Hide quoted text -<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> - Show quoted text -<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >Thanks for responding.
    >
    >I used the registry editor, exported all.
    >
    >As a matter of interest, if I needed to use it what would happen on
    >double clicking the file?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    It would put everything back.
     
  5. Rick Rogers

    Rick Rogers Guest

    Hi,

    You would be prompted to merge it with the current registry. It would
    overwrite any matching entries, but keys/strings in the original that were
    added by other software since the backup would be unaffected. This includes
    anything added by malware.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

    Windows help -

    Vote for my shoe:


    "species8350" <not_here.5.species8350@xoxy.net> wrote in message
    news:e47c61d9-803d-44b4-9e7d-a07afa8858d1@q7g2000yqi.googlegroups.com...
    On Sep 7, 1:00 pm, "Rick Rogers" <r...@mvps.org> wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi,
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > I have recently backed up the registry (Vista 32 bit).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > How? By exporting the hives or via a third party product like erunt? It
    > may
    > affect how you restore them if needed.
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Do I need to keep it on the C Drive, or can I move it to a CD-R?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > You can save it anywhere you like, location should be of no consequence.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,
    >
    > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft
    > MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help -www.rickrogers.org
    > Vote for my shoe:

    >
    > "species8350" <not_here.5.species8...@xoxy.net> wrote in message
    >
    > news:9941a98f-c45e-419e-b15f-67f27287a82f@v36g2000yqv.googlegroups.com...
    >
    >
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Hi,<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > I have recently backed up the registry (Vista 32 bit).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Do I need to keep it on the C Drive, or can I move it to a CD-R?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Thanks<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > I made the backup before adding some registry files. Having added
    > > them, I see no problems. I might overright the backup to take account
    > > of the changes, then store the file. Any obvious problems here?- Hide
    > > quoted text -<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > - Show quoted text -<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Thanks for responding.

    I used the registry editor, exported all.

    As a matter of interest, if I needed to use it what would happen on
    double clicking the file?

    Thanks
     
  6. Dave-UK

    Dave-UK Guest

    "species8350" <not_here.5.species8350@xoxy.net> wrote in message
    news:e47c61d9-803d-44b4-9e7d-a07afa8858d1@q7g2000yqi.googlegroups.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Sep 7, 1:00 pm, "Rick Rogers" <r...@mvps.org> wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Hi,
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > I have recently backed up the registry (Vista 32 bit).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> How? By exporting the hives or via a third party product like erunt? It may
    >> affect how you restore them if needed.
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > Do I need to keep it on the C Drive, or can I move it to a CD-R?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> You can save it anywhere you like, location should be of no consequence.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,
    >>
    >> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help -www.rickrogers.org
    >> Vote for my shoe:
    >>
    >> "species8350" <not_here.5.species8...@xoxy.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:9941a98f-c45e-419e-b15f-67f27287a82f@v36g2000yqv.googlegroups.com...
    >>
    >>
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > Hi,<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > I have recently backed up the registry (Vista 32 bit).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > Do I need to keep it on the C Drive, or can I move it to a CD-R?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > Thanks<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > I made the backup before adding some registry files. Having added
    >> > them, I see no problems. I might overright the backup to take account
    >> > of the changes, then store the file. Any obvious problems here?- Hide quoted text -<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> - Show quoted text -<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Thanks for responding.
    >
    > I used the registry editor, exported all.
    >
    > As a matter of interest, if I needed to use it what would happen on
    > double clicking the file?
    >
    > Thanks<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    You may want to have a look at this article before deciding to rely on
    Regedit to backup/restore the complete registry.

    Quote:
    "Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) for
    making a complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the
    whole registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive
    is saved), nor can the exported file be used later to replace the
    current registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file,
    it is merged with the current registry without deleting anything that
    has been added since the export, leaving you with an absolute mess of
    old and new entries."


    Also Microsoft recommend using the Backup utility to back up the whole registry:
    "Before you edit the registry, export the keys in the registry that you plan to edit, or back up the whole registry. If
    a problem occurs, you can then follow the steps in the "Restore the registry" section to restore the registry to its
    previous state. To back up the whole registry, use the Backup utility to back up the system state."
     
  7. species8350

    species8350 Guest

    On Sep 8, 9:34 am, "Dave-UK" <Here@home> wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "species8350" <not_here.5.species8...@xoxy.net> wrote in message
    >
    > news:e47c61d9-803d-44b4-9e7d-a07afa8858d1@q7g2000yqi.googlegroups.com...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > On Sep 7, 1:00 pm, "Rick Rogers" <r...@mvps.org> wrote:<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> Hi,<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> > I have recently backed up the registry (Vista 32 bit).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> How? By exporting the hives or via a third party product like erunt? It may
    > >> affect how you restore them if needed.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> > Do I need to keep it on the C Drive, or can I move it to a CD-R?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> You can save it anywhere you like, location should be of no consequence.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft..com/
    > >> Windows help -www.rickrogers.org
    > >> Vote for my shoe:<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> "species8350" <not_here.5.species8...@xoxy.net> wrote in message<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >>news:9941a98f-c45e-419e-b15f-67f27287a82f@v36g2000yqv.googlegroups.com....<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> > Hi,<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> > I have recently backed up the registry (Vista 32 bit).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> > Do I need to keep it on the C Drive, or can I move it to a CD-R?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> > Thanks<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> > I made the backup before adding some registry files. Having added
    > >> > them, I see no problems. I might overright the backup to take account
    > >> > of the changes, then store the file. Any obvious problems here?- Hide quoted text -<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> - Show quoted text -<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Thanks for responding.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > I used the registry editor, exported all.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > As a matter of interest, if I needed to use it what would happen on
    > > double clicking the file?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Thanks<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > You may want to have a look at this article before deciding to rely on
    > Regedit to backup/restore the complete registry.
    >
    > Quote:
    > "Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) for
    > making a complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the
    > whole registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive
    > is saved), nor can the exported file be used later to replace the
    > current registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file,
    > it is merged with the current registry without deleting anything that
    > has been added since the export, leaving you with an absolute mess of
    > old and new entries."http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt
    >
    > Also Microsoft recommend using the Backup utility to back up the whole registry:
    > "Before you edit the registry, export the keys in the registry that you plan to edit, or back up the whole registry. If
    > a problem occurs, you can then follow the steps in the "Restore the registry" section to restore the registry to its
    > previous state. To back up the whole registry, use the Backup utility to back up the system state."http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Thanks for the warning.

    I will need to redo the backup of the registry using the backup
    utility.

    First, I need to find the instructions for windows vista home premium.

    Best wishes.

    S
     
  8. species8350

    species8350 Guest

    On Sep 8, 12:03 pm, species8350 <not_here.5.species8...@xoxy.net>
    wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Sep 8, 9:34 am, "Dave-UK" <Here@home> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > "species8350" <not_here.5.species8...@xoxy.net> wrote in message<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > >news:e47c61d9-803d-44b4-9e7d-a07afa8858d1@q7g2000yqi.googlegroups.com...<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > > On Sep 7, 1:00 pm, "Rick Rogers" <r...@mvps.org> wrote:
    > > >> Hi,<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >> > I have recently backed up the registry (Vista 32 bit).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >> How? By exporting the hives or via a third party product like erunt? It may
    > > >> affect how you restore them if needed.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >> > Do I need to keep it on the C Drive, or can I move it to a CD-R?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >> You can save it anywhere you like, location should be of no consequence.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >> --
    > > >> Best of Luck,<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > >> Windows help -www.rickrogers.org
    > > >> Vote for my shoe:<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >> "species8350" <not_here.5.species8...@xoxy.net> wrote in message<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >>news:9941a98f-c45e-419e-b15f-67f27287a82f@v36g2000yqv.googlegroups.com...<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >> > Hi,<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >> > I have recently backed up the registry (Vista 32 bit).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >> > Do I need to keep it on the C Drive, or can I move it to a CD-R?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >> > Thanks<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >> > I made the backup before adding some registry files. Having added
    > > >> > them, I see no problems. I might overright the backup to take account
    > > >> > of the changes, then store the file. Any obvious problems here?- Hide quoted text -<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >> - Show quoted text -<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > > Thanks for responding.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > > I used the registry editor, exported all.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > > As a matter of interest, if I needed to use it what would happen on
    > > > double clicking the file?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > > Thanks<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > You may want to have a look at this article before deciding to rely on
    > > Regedit to backup/restore the complete registry.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Quote:
    > > "Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) for
    > > making a complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the
    > > whole registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive
    > > is saved), nor can the exported file be used later to replace the
    > > current registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file,
    > > it is merged with the current registry without deleting anything that
    > > has been added since the export, leaving you with an absolute mess of
    > > old and new entries."http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Also Microsoft recommend using the Backup utility to back up the whole registry:
    > > "Before you edit the registry, export the keys in the registry that you plan to edit, or back up the whole registry. If
    > > a problem occurs, you can then follow the steps in the "Restore the registry" section to restore the registry to its
    > > previous state. To back up the whole registry, use the Backup utility to back up the system state."http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986-Hide quoted text -<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > - Show quoted text -<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Thanks for the warning.
    >
    > I will need to redo the backup of the registry using the backup
    > utility.
    >
    > First, I need to find the instructions for windows vista home premium.
    >
    > Best wishes.
    >
    > S- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I have read the Help in Vista and it seems to recommend using Regedit
    to backup the Registry.

    Do the problems that you mention apply to Vista?.

    The MS webpages seem to recommend using a facility called
    'systempropertiesprotection' as a way to back up the registry in
    Vista. I can't see how this procedure makes a file!

    Any comments welcome.

    Thanks.

    Ps, Does Windows Vista Home Premium (32bit) automatically back up the
    registry?
     

Share This Page