1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Would appreciate advice

Discussion in 'Specific Hardware Issues' started by Tony Loly, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Tony Loly

Tony Loly Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks Dougie.
    Have started to look online at custom build options but your term " benchmark of around 6000 " for the processor & Graphics card does not seem to be a term I can find in the various descriptions so could you perhaps be more precise? Also am asked about options for CPU & motherboard ? Remember you are dealing with a novice here!

2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
  3. Tony Loly

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Yes has everything I need except it is Windows ten unfortunately.

4. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    A clever Techie, could put Windows7 on this Computer, at a later date.

Is it possible to install Windows7 on a Kaby Lake Ryzen processor?
    YES.

OR ask Dell to build you a computer EQUAL to those specs,to the one I linked to, with Windows7 Pro x64 installed, and buy a 4K monitor.

Talk to DELL.:)

5. Tony Loly

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks Dougie, appreciate your advice regarding putting Windows 7 on this computer.
    However,earlier in this topic I was told this...............

"Microsoft and Intel have made it extremely hard to install anything but Windows 10 on computers with new CPUs.
    Truthfully, it would take a lot of work and not be worth the time and trouble."

6. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Your choice.
    Wish you well in your quest for a replacement computer.:)

I finished new Computer yesterday, using new Ryzen 5 1600X Processor, and installed Windows7 Ultra x64 bit,not Windows 10.

RS SPECCY..png

7. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Tony, Dougie's ability level is higher than most.
    In addition, he has a Windows 7 license.

You'd have to build a computer, buy a Windows 7 license and then install it.

I think from reading your posts, you'd rather have a "ready made" computer.

I've been dealing with computers since the 1980's and truthfully, I would never build a computer. I buy mine off the shelf, either new or refurbished. I am lucky to have a MS certified refurbisher about 40 minutes away. I bought my husband 2 desktop computers from them.

8. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    1) In the last few years, Lenovo has been been making poor quality laptops. I can't speak for their all in ones, but you might want to keep that in mind since you mentioned Lenovo.

2) Trying to install W7 on a new computer that's designed for W10 is just asking for trouble on all levels.

3) I use and work on both Macs and Windows based systems, and I love them both. For the the typical computer user, it's no big deal to switch from one to another. The only questions when it comes to considering the i-mac, is the initial cost, and the nightmare you may encounter when the hardware starts to fail.

4) As stated, in 2 years there will be no security updates for W7, and that's a big concern.

5) W10 is far superior to W7 in many ways. What exactly don't you like about it? Note that there are ways to make W10 look more like W7.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Tony D likes this.
  9. Tony Loly

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks Seth, appreciate your input very much as I am getting confused with differing advice.
    As regards your point 3.....initial outlay is not an issue but I am concerned by your anticipation of hardware failure and the "nightmare " it will give me.Are Apple products more likely to fail and more difficult to put right?
    In 5) you say w10 can be made more like w7, please give me more details. My only problem with it really is that I don't understand it. I am ploughing through Windows ten for dummies so will get there one day.

10. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    As I mentioned in post #3, Macs are more costly to repair. For instance, it takes less than 10 minutes to replace a hard drive in your typical desktop machine. It takes 45 minutes to replace one in an iMac.

Apple is using the same hardware as Windows machines in many cases.

11. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    You're welcome.

In almost all cases, the first component to fail on any computer will be the hard drive. Old types of drives are similar to a cd/dvd burner, but the newer ones are solid state drives. They are much faster than the older type, have no moving parts, and are much more reliable. Whatever computer you decide to get, then spend a little more for an SSD drive if it doesn't have one already.

Other than the hard drive, the only other component failure will be the main system board (motherboard). In almost every case, if the motherboard fails, then the computer is garbage as the cost of parts and labor will simply not be worth it.

Aside from that, the main complaint with people going from W7 to W10, is how the Start menu looks. The start menu is the menu you see when you click on the icon at the very bottom left of the screen. That menu is very different between W10 and W7, but installing a program called "Classic Shell" will make that menu look just like the W7 menu.

So at this point, forget about W7, and choose a computer that has an SSD.

Oh ya, since you're used to the simplicity, elegance and quietness of an all in one, then I don't think you'll be happy with a Desktop computer.

12. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    In addition to my previous post, and considering you have an i-phone and an i-pad, I would suggest going with an i-mac. The i-macs are tried and true designs, unlike other all in ones that are constantly going through design changes.

13. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
  14. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Thanks for that plodr.

If it does go and someone wants the classic look, then Start 10 for $5 is a bargain.

Tony D likes this.
  15. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Ya know, unlike W8, changing W10's start menu isn't even necessary. I mean if you click it on, you have your shutdown options and program list. If you want to see pictures, docs, music, drives, then you simply click on the File Explorer folder in the Taskbar.

16. Tony Loly

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks to all on here for your kind advice. You are so knowledgeable about things I barely understand.
    However the dilemma I expressed at the outset largely remains so I think I will try & keep my old machine running..........on a good day it is very, very slow.........on a bad day its just a constant " not responding ".............but maybe that is easier to face then the mysteries of Apple IOS or Windows ten !