1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

wireless network adaptor

Discussion in 'Specific Hardware Issues' started by nottonto, May 31, 2020.

1. Rustys

Rustys Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    What is the make and model of your modem or the device that is supplying the wireless signal?

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    The wireless network password may be noted on a label on the router. If you haven't made any changes to the router, that password should work. If that password is not working, do as Seth said and reset the router by holding the reset button or pin hole for a minute. Then try the password on the label.

3. nottonto

nottonto Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi Tony D plus all other contributors
    Glad to report that we've managed to get my problem sorted

FYI....this morning I used my laptop on another network which worked perfectly normal, as they should work, so I contacted my ISP, and sfter 51 mins of guidance we got the problem sorted by changing the channel that my router was using.
    YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS!!!!, while I've been typing I've lost my wireless internet I feel suicidal now! (joke)
    Where does this leave me now??????
    Back to square one
    luckily I can still connect using Ethernet.
    I'm going for a stiff drink nottonto

4. nottonto

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi Seth
    I've just reset my router and I have wifi, touch wood, I'm holding my breath, so far it has stayed on.
    thanks again for your contribution, hopefully we're done
    thanks nottonto

5. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Thanks for the update. How far away is your nearest neighbor who might be using a wireless router? I really don't see neighboring routers interfering with each other. Ah, but they do say to use a channel away from a neighboring wireless network.

Did you see in your router where you can change the wireless network password? I'd write down that procedure.

If you lost your network for no reason, try restarting your router by pulling the power for a minute as Seth suggested.

Keep in mind, you may be experiencing intermittent problems. We'll have to nail that down.

6. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Tony,

I didn't recommend pulling the power. I recommended a hard reset with the reset button.

Nottonto, did you do a "hard" reset as I described previously?

7. nottonto

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi Gang
    Guess what?! I was just reading Tony D's email and as I started to reply the bloomin wifi dropped out so I'm back using ethernet again.
    with regard to previous questions, I tried the reset using the pin hole behind the router, this didn't do anything, so I reset the router using the button on top ( god knows why I didn't do this first thing ) what do they say about hindsight?, anyway, the wifi has been working for about 1 hr, now it's stopped.
    While talking to the ISP guy I asked how to change/remove my password but he didn't want to tell me and the conversation moved on and I forgot to find out, so I still don't know how to reset it, but given what's happened; is it anything to do with my password?
    BTW there are about 8 networks visible on my "available networks" list, all except one are secured, I suppose all will be wireless, I've had a wireless connection for a lot of years and never had any problems previously, is it some weakness in my current router? who knows.
    anyway, I'm back to square one again nottonto

8. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    What do you mean, "It didn't do anything"? Did the lights flash as I mentioned?

I don't know of any router that has a reset button on top. I'm thinking it's the quick connect button, or a soft reset button (which is the same as unplugging and plugging in your router. Which isn't the same as a hard reset)

If you successfully did the hard reset, and the laptop can connect with no issue on another network, then get the router replaced.

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  9. nottonto

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi Seth
    When I pressed the reset in the small hole for 5 seconds (as my booklet recommends) I did not see any changes to the router at all, my router has a reset button on the top, it is a router provided by my ISP, Plusnet, and is called a Plusnet Hub One, I've no idea who manufactures them. NB.... I live in UK.
    Anyway; good news so far, I pressed the reset in the small hole again and kept it pressed until I saw a change in any of the lights/led's , the router has now reset it's self and I have wifi again goody , at this point I'm rejoicing too much, I've been here before and things have gone pear-shaped again , fingers crossed and all that it might be fixed, watch this space
    If it fails again my next step will be to refit my router from my previous ISP, which might or might not work.
    For the time being I'm happy.
    thanks again nottonto

10. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    I had a look at the manual for that router. As suspected, the button on the top is the Restart button as I explained in my previous post.

The reason I said to hold the reset button in on the back for one minute (and seeing the lights flash), is because a lot of routers don't initiate the reset until much longer then the manual says, and it's easy to inadvertently release the button prematurely. I was covering all the bases.

Let us know if the reset did the trick.

11. nottonto

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi Seth
    short answer is.....no!
    my wifi worked for about 1 hr then stopped again, I pushed the reset pin hole again which restored wifi but only for about 15 mins.
    I had previously contacted Bitdefender to ask if there was anything in their program firewall that might cause my problem but after walking me through all the settings it was set OK, I have just received an email from Bitdefender informing me that another security program which I was using might interfere with Bitdefender, they advised removing the other program, which I have now done, the other program was Trusteer Endpoint Protection, Rapport, from IBM apparently.
    I'm currently using ethernet, when I send this reply I'll reset the router again and cross my fingers that it is something to do with Rapport.
    I'm still not convinced that it is a router problem, could it be a faulty network adapter?
    If this reset fails then I'm trying my old router.
    bfn nottonto

12. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    I doubt it's rapport.

When you tried it on another network, how long did it hold the connection for?

...and yes, by all means try out that other router!

13. nottonto

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi Seth
    when I tried my laptop on another network I just saw that it was available, I didn't think to leave it on and time it as it was a network I've used previously, looks like I should have made sure that it stayed connected because I couldn't get my old router to work, when I refitted my Plusnet router I had wifi for about 10 mins before it failed again.
    I guess using my laptop on another network for a long period of time will prove that my laptop is OK.
    I've discovered the Plusnet forums and there is a lot of discussion about this type of router being poor for wifi, I think I'll prove my laptop network adapter is OK before contacting them to ask for a replacement.
    thanks to all you experts nottonto

14. nottonto

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hello again, a bit more onfo.
    Today I loaned my laptop to my neighbour, Tony, to use his wifi, he used my laptop for over 2 hrs without any problem, he left my laptop signed-in to his wifi while I brought it home, when I got home my laptop had changed to my wifi automatically but stopped working after about 5 mins.
    I looked on Ebay for a new router and there are lots of people saying that the wifi on the router I've got is rubbish, I was looking at a BT Smarthub 6 (which is recommended as a good easy replacement as Plusnet, my ISP, is a subsidiary of BT), the majority of feedback about this router is from people upgrading to it from my existing router type.
    I think I'll ask Plusnet for another router to try.
    regards nottonto

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  15. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Yep. Time for a new router.

16. nottonto

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hello again everyone
    here's an update to my wireless woes.
    I installed a new router which worked perfectly for a day of normal usage, about 3 hrs, when I turned on my laptop the following morning the wifi had failed, I reset the router but the wifi stopped again after 10 mins.
    I tried installing a USB wifi stick but I can't get it to work, I'm currently asking the vendors why not.
    Looks like I have a laptop problem eh?

nottonto

17. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    When you installed the USB wireless adapter, you would have to load the software driver for it. Windows may have loaded it. If not, you have to go to the manufacturer's web site to download the software if there wasn't a disk provided with the adapter.

18. nottonto

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi Tony D
    it's nice to know you're still looking after me
    for the time being I have removed the USB wifi dongle to concentrate on the real issue, my missing wifi, according to Windows I have the correct drivers installed, I have joined a forum on my ISP website and posted all my wifi woes, one "expert?" has suggested going into my router settings and un-syncing my 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz channels, I did this about 30 mins. ago and my wifi returned and is still working (touch-wood) I'm not sure whether I'm connected 2.4 or 5 GHz but at this point I don't much care.
    I'm actually starting to feel a bit confident, hope this isn't misplaced
    I'll let you know when I'm sure that the fix is good
    thanks nottonto

19. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Let us know how it goes.

20. nottonto

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi Tony D and Seth etc.
    My wifi woes are over, since changing my router settings as reported previously, everything's been normal, I'm a happy camper again.
    thanks everyone for your help nottonto