1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats wrong with 32bit apps on x64?

Discussion in 'Microsoft News' started by NewsBot, Apr 10, 2008.

  1. NewsBot

    NewsBot I Got News

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2006
    Messages:
    1,813
    Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    I recently upgraded to Vista x64.* There are a few apps that have 64 bit equivalents, but most of what I've installed has been 32bit apps.* My question is why bother writing for 64 bit?*

    This question obviously doesn't apply to an app like SQL Server where it would use more than 4GB of ram.* I'm talking more for stuff like Firefox. a project that's trying to port Firefox to x64.* I'm curious as to what's the benefit?* The 32bit version seems to be running just fine on Vista 64.*

    Is there some performance benefit you should see with 64 bit apps on x64 over 32 bit apps on x64?




     

Share This Page