1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Using PHP without using PHP

Discussion in 'Microsoft News' started by NewsBot, Apr 6, 2008.

  1. NewsBot

    NewsBot I Got News

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2006
    Messages:
    1,813
    Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Let it be no secret that PHP disguists me to no end. (Not really, but I'd just like to not have to learn YAL).

    So I've seen Volta and Phalanger and there appears to be potential for some interesting synergy. Volta can compile CIL to JS whilst Phalanger can compile PHP to CIL.

    So Volta makes you platform agnostic on the client-side, but still hangs onto .Net on the server-side, as I understand it.

    In the cases where you wished you could've used .Net on the server-side, but could'nt, you may wish you could target PHP with*CIL instead of targetting CIL with PHP.

    It is probably not at the top of the agenda, from Microsofts point of view, to make CIL and libraries platform agnostic, though. But for some small subset of libraries, it would be interesting to be able to deploy .Net applications on PHP server-side systems.

    Here's to hoping someone has done, or will do, this - with or without Volta. [​IMG]



     

Share This Page