1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Screen Flickering, hardware issue?

Discussion in 'Specific Hardware Issues' started by Liquid Snake, Jan 30, 2016.

1. donetao

donetao Banned

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi I'm not sure what cooling off has to do with your issue? Have you cleaned out the vents and checked for over heating problems?
    When are you having issues? After it's ran awhile or on start up?
    I'm confused! Sorry! Your video is causing me problems

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  2. Liquid Snake

Liquid Snake

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Problem happens at start up, not at every start up... mostly cold start ups when the computer has been off for a while or overnight. Sometimes it also happens when the computer turns off the display for more than 10 mins. (It may flicker for 20-45 secs and then it works like normal). It's like a car that wont run right until it's warmed up. It's had this problem for three weeks now.

Fan and vents got cleaned during the motherboard swap, with new thermal paste. Weren't that clogged to begin with.

Did a HDD test and it checked out fine, and I did an instant restart with no flicker.

3. donetao

donetao Banned

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Well the only answer I have for that is a crack some where that seals itself after the PC heats up.
    Like I said before, trains and MB don't get along. That's the best I can come up with. This could be a difficult problem to diagnose! MB swap is a new addition to your issue!
    Maybe time all the facts are on the board!
    What else has been done that you forgot to post?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  4. Aus_Karlos

Aus_Karlos Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS Z97-A
    CPU:
    i7 4790K @4.4ghz
    Memory:
    16GB (4x4gb) G.Skill Ripjaw @ 1600mhz
    Hard Drive:
    3x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb (RAID0 - Games) 1x OCZ Agillity 3 128GB (OS) 1x 2TB WD Green (Backup)
    Graphics Card:
    2x EVGA GTX980Ti 6GB SC (1420mhz/7090mhz)
    Power Supply:
    Corsiar AX1200i
    In the video you posted that flickering can be caused by the LCD backlight. A good way to test is to drop your brightness down to 0 for about 30mins. If it flickers its a good indication that there's a possibility of a leak or a faulty inverter (Which inverter did you replace?).
    Depending on when your laptop was made you could be using the Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp as a backlight. Its similar to the tubed fluorescent lights commonly found in office blocks and contains Xenon gas. If this starts to leak from the seals it can make a strobe effect until warm. (The gas is warm enough that the volume thats left has expanded enough to complete a stable electrical circuit ).
    Its quiet possible that the impact of the train has broken a seal.

donetao likes this.
  5. Liquid Snake

Liquid Snake

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    MB swap was said in the first post, it does the same thing as the old one. I had to swap the processor onto the new board though.

6. donetao

donetao Banned

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi I will leave this in the capable hands of Aus_Karlos. Sorry I missed the MB swap in the first post. Trains and lap tops don't do well!
    Thank you for choosing CHF to help you with this problem!

7. Liquid Snake

Liquid Snake

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I never think to dim the display because it strains my eyes. I think you might be on to something... if I dim it for a few minutes and turn it up the problem happens outside of the usual scenarios. As it stabilized it fluttered like a old florescent bulb. And a big difference this time is that it happened on a white background instead of a dark one (start up screen), I saw it stabilize like an old florescent bulb.

It was one of those hotwheel sized Thomas the trains, it free fell for a 1-ft and hit like an A-bomb.

8. Liquid Snake

Liquid Snake

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I'm the one usually dishing out advice on a car forum, I know all about missing the details.

Maybe the screen hinge breaking off today was a sign.

9. donetao

donetao Banned

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi Thanks for the up date. I'm sure this has been a learning experience for everyone here on CHF. I learned a lot.
    Thank you for choosing CHF. Tell your friends about your experience here on CHF! I'm hopping it was a good experience.
    What's your further plans with this issue you had with;);) trains and lap tops?

10. Liquid Snake

Liquid Snake

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    As the problem progressed it became more apparent that it was the screen bulb.

I just installed a new monitor just now and the all seems well. When I unboxed my laptop on day one I thought the monitor was a little on the dim side compared to other laptops. I'm sure my new monitor is an updated version, its brighter and the colors are more vivid than I have ever remembered too.