1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Pc's Display On My Laptop?

Discussion in 'Monitor' started by karthik316_1999, Feb 6, 2010.

1. karthik316_1999

karthik316_1999 Member

As everyone, I feel disgusted watching the display on my CRT in my PC once I have been with my laptop's display for the last couple of months..! :unsure:

So I was just wondering if I could hook up my pc's display to the laptop via any kind of cables or something... any suggestions?

The manual of my laptop could be found here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?lc=en&dlc=&cc=us&product=1842031&

My pc's video card is this: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/336/1/

2. Dalo Harkin

Dalo Harkin Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS - are there any others worth buying?
    CPU:
    Q6600 at 4.0Ghz per core (Watercooled)
    Memory:
    OCZ PC8500 4x1GB sticks
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung - all the way
    Graphics Card:
    XFX 260GTX rev 1
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 600Watt
    There should be a slot like the below on your laptop, just plug the Monitor into that (this only displays the laptop picture onto the PC screen though, normally used for presentations or outputting to a TV to watch a film etc)
    It will not work the other way round where your PC screen is outputted to your lappy screen though[​IMG]

3. karthik316_1999

karthik316_1999 Member

Yes, I am already aware of this feature of getting the laptop's display on my PC screen... But I would like to have it the other way round.. There is got to be some solution to this? Even if it means I need to buy something additionally?

4. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Sometimes there just isn't an answer. If you really want to use the laptop monitor you can set up remote access and then use the laptop to access the PC. Unfortunately that will only slow down your performance while allowing you laptop screen to display the PC. It will not give you the ability to extend your desktop or obtain any other benefits of a second monitor.

You have to understand that a second monitor needs to be powered. Once you power your laptop it is going to boot. Even if you remove the hard drive so it cant boot into windows you will still get the bios. There is nothing in the bios that allows the screen to act as a monitor. Finally the VGA interface that Dalo showed you is an output only.

I am guessing that you do not have a TV that can serve as a second monitor. Generally most LCD (plasma etc.) have a VGA port.

5. karthik316_1999

karthik316_1999 Member

I was just going to ask about an s-video port (In/Out which I'm not sure of) that is located on my laptop.. what would this be used for..?
    I was considering this idea because my video card supports dual-output.. so i thought i could probably use the remaining one other dvi port to connect to the laptop with some converter or something,...
    (Currently the crt is connected using a dvi-vga connector)

6. karthik316_1999

karthik316_1999 Member

Just found a good review of my laptop at this site:

http://laptoplogic.com/reviews/detail.php?id=59

Apart from the clarification of the s-video slot, can someone possibly tell me what these ports (that I have captured from the above site) could actually be used for: (shame that I wasn't interested to know these all these years :D )

- proprietary port for the HP Expansion Base
    - PCMIA slot
    - Kensington security slot
    - a single Firewire (IEEE 1394) port

7. BeeCeeBee

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    S video is just another connection accepted by must TVs and DVD players etc. The S Video port on your laptop is another means of connecting to a TV that has a corresponding input. This would be helpful to you if you wanted to use an older TV as a second monitor as many will have an s video connection but may not have a VGA or dvi.

The HP expansion port is to connect to a HP proprietary hub which would allow you to expand the number of ports (I assume only USB) on the laptup.

The PCMCIA slot is for reading memory cards from other media such as cameras.

I believe that the Kennsington security slot is nothing more than a slot to attach a locking cable to the laptop as an anti theft measure.

The firewire (1394) is for creating a local network and, quite frankly, I know little about it except that it has no relationship to what you are trying to do.

8. karthik316_1999

karthik316_1999 Member

Thank you for those explanations :)
    So.. thats it.. there is no way in the world that someone could bring up their pc's display onto a laptop... :(
    I guessed so.. then how else would lcd monitors sell in the market.. :D

9. hatsoff

hatsoff Inactive

Asus P5W DH
    CPU:
    Intel Core 2
    Memory:
    4GB OCZ Quick Stuf
    Hard Drive:
    Spinpoint 500GB
    Graphics Card:
    HD2600 Pro
    Power Supply:
    Silver Power
    PCMCIA (note the spelling) is actually an expansion slot linked to the PCI bus. Good for wireless cards, USB 2.0 expansion (though not full speed), firewire, 56K modem, 3g card, whatever is made for it - look on ebay for more fun ideas.

Firewire or IEEE 1394 is primarily used for digital video transfer and can be 400 or 800 standard.

10. BeeCeeBee

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    That's what I get for ignoring google.

11. hatsoff

hatsoff Inactive

Asus P5W DH
    CPU:
    Intel Core 2
    Memory: