1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

PC turned off while running and will not respond to anything.

Discussion in 'Specific Hardware Issues' started by McSpin, Apr 7, 2018.

1. allheart55 (Cindy E)

allheart55 (Cindy E) Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T-Thuban 3.2GHz
    Memory:
    Crucial-DDR3 SDRAM 1333-8GB
    Hard Drive:
    WD Caviar Black SE HDD 640 GB - WD Caviar Black SE HDD 500 GB
    Graphics Card:
    Sapphire Radeon HD-7870 2GB
    Power Supply:
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750W
    You weren't mistaken, Seth.
    McSpin did say that he had disconnected the drives. :biggrin:

2. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Ah. Thanks:)

3. McSpin

McSpin Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Nothing is ever as easy as one would hope... I had a bootable disk from some acronis recovery software, so I figured I'd try to read a few drives with it on the computer having all the trouble. Well, I found out that I couldn't use my internal CD reader. I had to hook up an external CD reader which did work through a USB port. None of my internal drives can be read. They are not only unrecognized, but I put my hand on them and couldn't even feel them spinning - normally I can. I can read these drives on another computer. The internal CD player will not even open. Seems like no power to it, or the drives.

Now I'm wondering, did something get fried on the motherboard, did a portion of the power supply go bad with the short (don't know if that is even possible. I'm even wondering if something could be wrong with other components like RAM or the CPU. I can get the acronis software to load through the USB port. I tried moving the power supply for the drives to other power supply ports and used different sata cables plugged into different sata ports on the motherboad. None of this got the drives readable.

Can anyone tell me what the possible problems are in this situation?

4. McSpin

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    But, I hadn't disconneted the cable and I think the cable was shorting the system even with no drives connected (I think a couple contacts had melted together). As soon as I removed all the cables, I could get it to post.

5. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    You probably know this, but the drives should spin up with just the power connected (no need for the sata connector). If they don't, then at the very least you have a defective power supply.

6. McSpin

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    The power supply is brand new, but it was connected for a short while, when I was still testing things and hadn't found the short in the SSD/connector. I tried all the peripheral ports and couldn't get it to spin up on any of them, but the motherboard is getting power since it will still post. Do you think the short could have knocked out just a portion of the power supply and have some portions still working?

7. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    That seems to be exactly what happened.

What about the old power supply?

8. McSpin

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    The exact same thing is happening with the old power supply, which is why I'm wondering if this cable might be bad. It was connected to the power supply at the same time as the cable that got fried. I have new cables on their way. After I check that, I'll replace the power supply again if they don't work. I guess it's one thing at a time. Hopefully, I don't have to rebuild the whole computer before I find the problem.

9. McSpin

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Update:

So far, nothing I've tried has worked. I replaced the power supply and still nothing. So, I put it in another computer and it worked fine, so the power supply is not the problem. I then replaced the motherboard. With the new MB I can get the power light to come on, but no beep and it will not post.

I can only guess as to what all was fried with this short. I tested the new MB with the old CPU and tried one and 2 sticks of RAM, alternating between the 4 I have. No combination would work. My new question is, can a bad CPU or bad RAM cause it to not post?

Also, CPU fan does not turn on.

Edit: The MB is a Gigabyte board. I just read their memory support list and it only list 8 gb modules. Mine are 4 gb. It doesn't specifically say "only 8 gb" anywhere, but I'm wondering if this might really be limited to one size. Anyone know if some boards are like this?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018