1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

New Vista copy bug -"crash your router" feature

Discussion in 'Microsoft News' started by NewsBot, Apr 21, 2008.

  1. NewsBot

    NewsBot I Got News

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2006
    Messages:
    1,813
    Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    You gotta kinda love Vista sometimes.. but not very much.

    Scenario: I develop software at home, upload application to office via a VPN on my ADSL router and the office's router. Both are Netgear.

    All working fine with XP copy to Win2003 server. Upgraded my dev box to Vista x64 and the problems started.

    I've now found what is happening is that small file copies (say less than 100k) go over the VPN, no problem.

    However, copy a 6MB zip file over the VPN, and it copies a bit, then my router loses its ADSL connection (note: all ADSL drops, not just the VPN!!!).. it reconnects, the VPN reconnects... the copy resumes on Vista.. then again the same scenario.

    Basically it drops and reconnects DSL about every 1.5MB of data or so.

    <b>What is wierd is this does not happen if I copy from an XP box on my LAN to the Win2003 box - I do a copy over the VPN and itw works as expected, no dropped DSL.</b>

    This means <i>something</i> in the Vista copy code / protocols is "crashing" the router. I might think it was specific to this router but I've already replaced my older "consumer" router with a DGFV338 and it persists.

    Since I would regard this as a router issue I logged it with NETGEAR, who were not very helpful. At my suggestion that dropping Netgear would be the best solution, <i>they</i> <i>agreed</i>..!?! But I don't want to keep buying routers ..

    But what really annoys is that it's Vista that is doing something. I've tried disabling IPv6, and the sliding window stuff.* I happened on plan Vista and is still happening on Vista SP1.

    Come on Microsoft, what is going on here??? :mad:



     

Share This Page