1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft's new slogan - "Get less for more!"

Discussion in 'Microsoft News' started by NewsBot, Mar 25, 2008.

  1. NewsBot

    NewsBot I Got News

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2006
    Messages:
    1,813
    Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    I was reading about how Windows 7 is going to be much more modular and while the idea of more OS functionality down the line excites me; I can't help but feel like I'll wind up paying far more for less.

    Before Vista was released and they announced pumping out three consumer editions the first thing I said was - "This is a way of increasing the price."

    I was of course correct.*The difference between Home Premium and Ultimate is all within XP Media Center Edition. So they basically stripped down XP in order to produce Home Premium, instead of adding additional value to Ultimate (except the LOL "Ultimate Extra's" and we all know how THAT turned out).

    Windows 7's modular design where you pay per feature is going to be exactly the same thing. Microsoft will sell the concept that "<i>They can decrease the price of Windows by providing less</i>" but what they actually mean is "Increase the price to those who want the status quo."
    *
    My predictions for Windows 7 are three versions. One which literally can't do some of the stuff Windows 95 could... One which is roughly equal to XP Home Edition, and the last which has all of XP MCE's functionality but you pay 20-40% more for.

    e.g.
    XP MCE*= £89
    XP MCE rebranded "Vista Ultimate Edition"*= £117
    XP MCE rebranded "Widnows 7 Ultimate Edition" with subscription and modules = £152 + £15 (per year) + £30 (one off)

    That's my guess. So look forward to Windows 7... You'll pay more for less.




     

Share This Page