1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

[Solved] Loading Linux OS using a bootable program like Universal installer USB.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by John Stenger, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Stenger

John Stenger Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    I Appreciate all the help with this Issue, I am going to first attempt the DVD loading procedure, but I am awaiting the Dual Layer DVD's, as they are not locally available in the Fort Lauderdale Area.

2. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    1. distro is short for distribution because linux comes in lots of different "flavors"
    2. Rufus is only needed if you wish to make a bootable USB stick. Since you plan on burning a DVD, you can ignore Rufus.
    3. I don't know about Windows 10 but in Windows 7, when I download an ISO (you said you downloaded Mint), all I'd need to do is right click the ISO file and select Burn disc image. That's it.
    So, right click the Mint ISO you downloaded and see if Burn disc image is on the right click menu.

How large is the ISO you downloaded? If it is less than 4.7GB it will fit on a single layer DVD.

I just checked the sizes of all four 64 bit downloads and the largest is 2GB. Why are you buying a dual layer DVD when it is not needed?

3. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Hello Plodr, The reason for my buying the Dual layer DVD was because someone in the above replies said it was needed, and no one disputed it! The working machine I have, has windows 7 pro OS, ..and I do see the right click burn to disk option you mentioned. Just to Clarify this procedure, When I burn the Linux Mint OS, to a DVD disk, and as you asked it is 1.76GB, so I will burn to a single layer DVD! ..I then just load it into the non working machines CD Rom and attempt to install it normally correct? ...and no other assisting program is necessary?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  4. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    When you boot the computer to the DVD, you should get a window asking if you want to install or just try running Mint live from the disk. At this point, I'd try running it from the disk. Then if you like it, you can install it onto your hard drive later on.

When running from the install disk, it will be slower to react than if running from an installation on the hard drive.

5. Rustys

Rustys Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Here is what was stated.
    As you can see I do state that the DUAL LAYER disk are for Windows Ten and you can use the REGULAR for LINUX.

The ISO for Windows 10 is a 4.4 GiB file uncompressed it is about 5.2 GiB and since the regular DVD's are only 4.7 GiB explain to me how it will fit with out using a DUAL LAYER which is a 8.5 GiB?

6. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    I'm Sorry Rustys! with all the Stick Method instructions Vs. the DVD procedure I got confused! ..It's entirely my fault! ..I have now burned the program to a DVD+R Disc, and loaded it into the broken PC, and I am now seeing 3 Icons in the upper Left hand corner of the screen Computer, Home, and Install Linux Mint. so I assume it's running? is there any LINUX user manual that will help me get online with this OS?

7. Rustys

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Not a problem John do not worry about it. Yes that is the Live Version of Linux remember that it will run slower off the DVD.

Are you wanting to save any of the data off the HDD, Install Linux.

What I would suggest it that you play around with the Live Version that just loaded and make sure that this is what you want to use. Check to make sure that everything works to you satisfaction.

8. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I don't run Mint and I don't think I have a stick to boot up. So the following is frm memory.
    Look down near the clock. There should be some sort of network icon. Click on it and your wifi network should be listed. You should be able to connect to it without too much problem.

At this point, I'd also say do not install it. Why? You want to be sure all your hardware works. Video correct resolution, sound, internet, etc.

9. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Everything seems to be working normally, I can see this is a mimic of the Windows systems and after awhile, it's seems fairly understandable. I guess in the end if everything remains working I should install it to the hard drive! ..correct?

10. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Sounds good. Be aware that your Windows programs will not run on Linux. So if you have a version of MS Office, that won't run. There are alternatives and I think OpenOffice comes with Mint. If if doesn't, you can download it for free. Installing programs in Linux is different than installing them in Windows. Just a different animal under the hood.

11. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Thanks to all of you for Helping me with this Issue! ..you all saved me a lot of expense by my not wasting money on that Extra PC stick product, ..and mostly thanks for my old PC not ending up as a Plant Stand! John

12. Rustys

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    No it comes with Libre Office.

Not a problem is there any personal documents and files that you want to back up off the Hard Drive before you install Linux?

13. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Everything seem to be running very well with the Linux OS, ..I did finally install it to the Hard Drive, and I'm wondering if I should delete the now defunct Windows 10 OS? ..Also I am wondering if I need to download things like Adobe Flash Player and possibly a Virus Program?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  14. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    If you have hard drive space, let it there for awhile.

You might remember something in Windows 10 you want. You can go in through linux and move it off the Win 10 partition and onto a USB stick.

I never remove something immediately because I can count on me forgetting something and it is good that I can get it before I completely remove the OS.

Tony D likes this.
  15. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    plodr How can I get into the windows 10s files? ..that program is damaged and will not open!

16. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    You mount that partition in linux. Although Windows 10 won't run, that doesn't mean that all the files are gone. They are still there.
    I found a Mint stick. (18.3 Mate) Let me fire it up and go through the steps.

I'm running from a stick, not installed so yours might be slightly different. When I click on Menu or the icon that says Computer, I see my stick but I also see the 2 partitions on my hard drive with the labels.

In the left column, when I hover my mouse over one of the two partitions, it says mount and open. Click that and in the right hand pane, you should see familiar things like Documents and settings, Program Files, Users. You should be able to open them and look at what is in them.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  17. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    In Computer I see the folder with HP and CD RW but the folder will not open!

18. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    And In file systems it shows. see included photo!

Attached Files:

19. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    That is not Windows, those are your mint folders.
    Click Computer and show me the left pane of the Window that opens.

20. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Plodr here are photos, Neither the center Icon or the one that reads DVD will open! PHOTO_20180613_111951.jpg PHOTO_20180613_111903.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.