1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Coffeehouse C9?

Discussion in 'Microsoft News' started by NewsBot, Apr 1, 2008.

  1. NewsBot

    NewsBot I Got News

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2006
    Messages:
    1,813
    Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    I've heard Charles said this before

    <blockquote>.<b>Charles wrote:</b><i>
    The coffeehouse is not Channel 9
    </i>[/quote]

    And I thought... yeah, no duh. Colorado isn't the US of A.

    We all know the face of Channel 9 is the videos. No one denies that.

    Then, yesterday, I came across a post from Scott Hanselman, entitled

    ***

    and one of the rule is:

    <blockquote>.<b>Rule # 1 wrote:</b><i>
    Rule #1 of blogging stats: The only way to know if a human is reading your blog is if they are talking with you.

    ...my personal litmus test for my blog's success or failure is comments and other folks' blog posts, and nothing else.
    </i>[/quote]

    Now, the videos aren't typically very conversational -- I mean that people don't talk back to them.

    But, I was curious, what is the total comments vs. views for the videos. So, I started tallying. Here are the numbers for March:


    NotesViewsComments
    1053 0
    1795 0
    955 0
    1344 2
    1749 0
    1790 0
    2104 2
    2416 1
    1374 0
    3999 7
    3280 4
    1312 0
    7883 12
    3116 0Scott Guthrie: Inside Silverlight 2 Beta 1 10399 22
    1306 0
    1572 0
    6688 5
    1645 0
    1722 0
    2009 0
    2620 1
    3090 1
    1648 0
    1926 0
    3057 0
    2601 0
    3791 4TWoC9 4729 7
    1971 0
    2311 0
    2276 0All About Mary Jo 6885 12
    4544 3TWoC9 5864 14
    4268 0Interview w/ Ice Cube 6672 11
    3649 7
    3647 2
    2972 0
    3270 0PLINQ under the hood 6170 5
    4654 2
    5283 10
    3774 0
    5555 4
    2495 0TWoC9 4705 14
    3006 3
    2213 2
    2513 0
    1132 0
    1649 1
    3853 19TWoC9 1776 4
    638 0
    437 0<b>Total</b>
    <b>181155</b> <b>181</b>
    That's roughly a 1000:1 read-to-write ratio.

    If you apply Scott Hanselman's # 1 rule of blogging stat to the videos, and say... compare that w/ the read-to-write ratio of the Coffeehouse, I'd say, it's clear which is greater.

    But in a moment of beer-induced clarity, I remember that Charles said a while back about how many visit a month C9 has. A little digging,
    . In which Charles said (Nov 9 2005):

    <blockquote>.<b>Charles wrote:</b><i>
    2.7 Million visits last month.*8 *thousand new posts. This place is rocking. Even the Windows Watchers are to coffeehouse posts.
    </i>[/quote]

    OK, I didn't get that last part either, but Charles seems to have liked the Coffeehouse then.

    But anyway... 2.7 million visits a month... and it only generated 180,000 video views?

    Either Eagle was right in that traffic has dropped off dramatically, or the numbers were originally bad.

    Plus, the 180,000 views are post views, not necessarily video views.

    I'm not sure what this all means, I just like to look at numbers...





     
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2014

Share This Page