1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Chrome

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BGBG, Sep 3, 2020.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Orange checkmark = mp3Tag. "?" are search. VLC is a media playeer. The musical notes are music and song lyrics If they are harmful I could probably get rid of all of them. Never thought about wheter they might be disadvantages or what they might be if I have a certain number moe or less. They are only so I can find them quickly if I so desire.

TONY: If I click the gear I get this page - see the IE image. I never use Internet Explorer though it it is there. If I click the IE tray icon then Google age appears.

Attached Files:

• IE.jpg
      IE.jpg
      File size:
      91 KB
      Views:
  2. Rustys

Rustys Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Lets try this.

Click Start
    right side select Default Programs
    right side select Set your default programs
    left side select Chrome
    bottom of the window select Choose defaults for this program
    above the list click Select All
    bottom right of the window click Save

Open Chrome
    upper right click the three vertical dots
    select settings
    on the left click default browser
    on the right under Default Browser if there is a button stating Make Default click it.

Just to clarify
    You turn on the computer browsers open automatically?
    Or
    You turn on computer and click a link from the desktop and or where ever and what happens?

Right now lets fix Chrome being default browser then move on to other issues.

3. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    RUSTYS -Chrome seems to be the default browser. I will see what happens if I shut down and start.

4. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    What you are seeing is the Internet Explorer browser opening the Google page. So you are using Internet Explorer.

Seems you're confusing Google's web page with Google's browser called Chrome. Be sure to follow Rusty's instructions. That will make Chrome your default browser and we can put Internet Explore to bed.

5. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I will try to explain. I shut down and started again. This is the screen that comes up. Should I do this or say No Thanks? See Uploaded image.
    I have to admit it IS confusing. I followed Rustys istructions but maybe should go through it again a time or two. I am no longer if I ever was, sure of what I have or should have. But right now this screen comes up when I start PC. I thought I had Google chrome, and Google web page I was not aware of. Never use IE anymore.

HERE is a copy of my SETTINGS when I click the 3 dots at top right of page. See SETTINGS 2020-09-06_172825.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  6. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    What you are seeing is a page presented by Internet Explorer. Maybe you have set IE to open automatically somehow.

1st - Do as I said way back in post #16 to click on the down-pointing arrow and select Don't ask again.

** You need to start following our directions. If you don't understand what we're asking, let us know so we can clarify. **

2nd - Ensure you have Chrome set as your default web browser per Rustys instructions.

3rd - Let's see if there's any Internet Explorer items are in your Startup routine and remove them. Here are instructions
    1. Bring up msconfig by holding the Windows key and tap the R button.
    2. In the Open dialog box, type msconfig
    3. Click the OK button.
    4. Click on the Startup tab.
    5. Look thru all those items that are set to run when you boot your computer. If there's anything in there that looks like Internet Explorer, remove the checkmark.
    6. Click on the Restart button if that is presented

7. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I am definitely not a PC guru. I do not understand why the number of tray icons is important or harmfu. Meanwhile I shall review this whole thread and see if I caan catch on. Thanks for your patience.

8. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    The more icons present there, the bigger your chances of clicking on something you don't want then wondering why something opened that you did not want to open.