1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

eee pc: easy to learn, work, play and make you cry

Discussion in 'Microsoft News' started by NewsBot, Mar 21, 2008.

  1. NewsBot

    NewsBot I Got News

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2006
    Messages:
    1,813
    Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    today I bought another eee PC, this time for my GF, unboxed it and turned it on for the first time. I insert the SD where I copied her music and documents and an error appears on screen:

    "You do not have enough permissions to read /media/MMC-SD"

    and the file manager doesn't show the memory card content until I select "show all filesystems". I investigated and found out the /media directory did not exist and after a few minutes of google-ing I found out that error was pretty common and was fixed by creating the folder so I just sudo-ed a mkdir to create the directory.

    then I read that asus released an update, "desktop update", to address that problem along with some other improvements so I try to install it, wait a few minutes and another error appears:

    "Unmet dependencies. Try ‘apt-get -f install’ with no packages (or specify a solution)."

    so I open another terminal, do a sudo apt-get -f install and the package installs fine.

    so I applied that and tried some of the other available updates: "media player update" and "open office update": the desktop update screwed up the the desktop icons (some disappeared, some are now black) and firefox stopped working (reboot didn't fix this, it fixed only the black icons), the media player update didn't complete (Couldn't find package asus-media-player-update-1), the open office update made open office disappear ("KDEInit could not launch ‘ooffice’.: Could not find ‘ooffice’ executable."). applying every update also wasted significant disk space that couldn't be recovered with apt-get clean.

    I didn't experience any of these problems on the first eee I bought because I formatted it immediately but if that's what asus calls "easy" they sure have a long time to go.

    now I deleted that crap and installed eeeXubuntu: much, much better!




     

Share This Page