1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

cd drive

Discussion in 'DVD/CDROM Drives' started by MUSICMAX, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Match

Match Registered Members

Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Abit AN52
    CPU:
    AMD Athlon dual core 5000+
    Memory:
    4 Gig Corsair
    Hard Drive:
    160 Gb Hitachi 500 Gb Western Digital
    Graphics Card:
    Radion XFX 4650
    Power Supply:
    550W EZcool
  2. MUSICMAX

MUSICMAX Member

higrade 8615
    CPU:
    intel(r)celeron(r)M CPU 420@1.60GHZ
    Memory:
    224MB RAM
    Hard Drive:
    FUJITSU MHV2040AH
    MANY THANKS
    just printed it off will get back and let you know if it was sucessful 2moro
    signing off now
    musicmax

3. MUSICMAX

MUSICMAX Member

higrade 8615
    CPU:
    Memory:
    224MB RAM
    Hard Drive:
    FUJITSU MHV2040AH
    SORRY did not help but i did get wmp 11 upgrade so it wasnt a waste of time just cant understand it there is definatly music on the cd its just my laptop says its blank never mind thanks anyway
    musicmax

4. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Max I have searched and cannot find any firmware for that model but lots of people looking.

Do you have an original driver disk for this machine? You may want to try to remove the drive from device manager and then rebooting. Windows should recognize the drive when you reboot. However, I am a bit concerned that if your drivers or firmware is corrupt that it may not reinstall properly.

Have you tried playing a disk that you burned from your external drive using the same software?

5. MUSICMAX

MUSICMAX Member

higrade 8615
    CPU:
    Memory:
    224MB RAM
    Hard Drive:
    FUJITSU MHV2040AH
    have tried deleating the drive and its reinstalled ok still cant read music cds tried burning a music cd on external drive burnt ok reading ok but soon has i put it in built in drive it still says the disc is empty this is very confusing microsoft cant fix it higrade computer manufacturer havent answered my emails may just give it up as a bad job may even buy a new laptop many thanks for your help anyway
    musicmax

6. BeeCeeBee

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Max I would like Goku to take a look at this next time he is on. It is just past midnight where he is so I assume it will not be in the next short time but he should be her in the (his ) morning. Another member may come along with a solution to this puzzle.

I still believe that there is a problem either with the hardware itself or its firmware. As far as buying a new laptop I would think a new drive would be a lot cheaper if it comes to that.

7. help4me

help4me Inactive Staff Member

Operating System:
    Windows 95
    Just to recap... is it just burned music cd's that aren't working or burned data cd's too? If it is just a self burned music CD... then it might be a DRM (Digital Rights Management) issue. And that takes us into the very touchy area of copyrights.

8. MUSICMAX

MUSICMAX Member

higrade 8615
    CPU:
    Memory:
    224MB RAM
    Hard Drive:
    FUJITSU MHV2040AH
    it may be drm but in nero it is set up for everyone has burn rights it is not has though i am selling music because i am not my hobby is compiling music collections for my personal use i have copied original cds onto my laptop converted them to mp3 using both WMP and MEDIA MONKEY had no problem before and yes its only music cds i have a problem with
    any solutions are most welcome
    musicmax

9. MUSICMAX

MUSICMAX Member

higrade 8615
    CPU:
    Memory:
    224MB RAM
    Hard Drive:
    FUJITSU MHV2040AH
    no i no longer have the disc it broke i love my laptop and i am sure i will find a solution thanks again for your help
    musicmax

10. help4me

Operating System:
    Windows 95
    Please understand... I am not accusing you of anything illegal. That was not my intention and if it appeared so I do apologize.

DMR is relatively new.. so that is still one possible thing that may be causing the problem.

Is it just the mp3 format giving you issue? Something may have gone wrong with one of your audio codecs. Have you tried using other cd burning software besides Nero? The reason I ask is because it sounds like Nero is not converting the mp3 file prior to burning.

11. MUSICMAX

MUSICMAX Member

higrade 8615
    CPU:
    Memory:
    224MB RAM
    Hard Drive:
    FUJITSU MHV2040AH
    no i didnt think that for one minute the discs i have burnt play fine in my hifi and also in my external cd drive but when i put it in my laptop cd drive it says the disc is empty i have tried burning with media player media monkey and nero same results its as if the laptop cd drive cannot read music tracks it reads data fine tried different cds same result tried burning in different audio formats the only one it reads is mp3 which of course is data its a puzzerler

sorry for not making it clear i didnt think you are accusing me of anything illegal
    hope you may solve this problem for me
    many thanks
    musicmax

12. BeeCeeBee

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Have you tried simply ripping a CD using WMP? From there I would try a few basic format options and burn some test disk. If it is not the software then the drive is faulty.

13. help4me

Operating System:
    Windows 95
    I agree... I am thinking more and more that the drive is bad. Hardware in a laptop is often times very difficult to replace. Be sure to check any warranties you might have for your laptop BEFORE attempting to replace any hardware. Also.. laptop repair is much more difficult than regular tower repair. Please make sure you know exactly what you are doing if you do decide to install a new cd/dvd drive.

Best of luck MusicMax.

14. MUSICMAX

MUSICMAX Member

higrade 8615
    CPU:
    Memory:
    224MB RAM
    Hard Drive:
    FUJITSU MHV2040AH
    TRIED THAT it burns fine its just the reading thats at fault me thinks the drive is buggered thanks for everyones help cost of a new cd drive will be painful but never mind eh look on the bright side still got the external cd writer
    musicmax

15. DirtyPolo

DirtyPolo Inactive Staff Member

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Apologies if you have said this already but I haven't read through the whole thread.

Have you tried just playing a normal, original music CD in the laptop?

If that doesnt work then I might recommend that you check the firmware/drivers for the CD Drive.

Then if all else fails, the drive has failed and will need replacing.

16. MUSICMAX

MUSICMAX Member

higrade 8615
    CPU:
    Memory:
    224MB RAM
    Hard Drive:
    FUJITSU MHV2040AH
    THANKS for your imput drivers and firmare up to date commercial music cds work fine just music cds burnt on laptop that will not read even though music is on disc reads in external writer and hifi cd player

17. BeeCeeBee

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    One last test, how about music burned on another drive altogether perhaps on a different machine? Will that play?

Unless it is something basic like a wrong codec I cant get a grasp of anything other than an faulty drive. Am I correct that if you burn music on the drive you can play it in the external drive on the same machine. If that is the case you can rule out a codec issue

18. MUSICMAX

MUSICMAX Member

higrade 8615
    CPU:
    Memory:
    224MB RAM
    Hard Drive:
    FUJITSU MHV2040AH
    yes you are correct it does play in external cd writer have tried discs recorded
    on another computer laptop cant read them either its strange data reads no problem mp3s no problem audio..... forget it but commercial cds ok

19. Match

Match Registered Members

Abit AN52
    CPU:
    AMD Athlon dual core 5000+
    Memory:
    4 Gig Corsair
    Hard Drive:
    160 Gb Hitachi 500 Gb Western Digital
    Graphics Card:
    Radion XFX 4650
    Power Supply:
    550W EZcool
    Hi Can you play Music off your hard drive or is it just the CD Drive thats a pain

20. MUSICMAX

MUSICMAX Member

higrade 8615
    CPU:
    Memory:
    224MB RAM
    Hard Drive:
    FUJITSU MHV2040AH
    YES music plays fine in media player and media monkey also plays fine in nero cd plays fine in hifi but when i put it back in laptop the reader says it is a blank disc