1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody using WCF?

Discussion in 'Microsoft News' started by NewsBot, Apr 23, 2008.

  1. NewsBot

    NewsBot I Got News

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2006
    Messages:
    1,813
    Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    <!--coloro:black--><span style="color:black <!--/coloro--><!--fonto:Verdanasans-serif--> Verdanasans-serif <!--/fonto-->Hello,

    Just interested if anybody is using WCF yet? I'm converting a half written .NET remoting solution to WCF and not having a lot of fun.

    My .NET remoting solution was business objects so

    Tenant
    -Fields
    -Properties
    -Methods

    ok cool, simple but some of the methods on my remoting solution where to be run on the client and not on the server, so I might have a custom sort method for example, this was not a core method and just for the UI's use really.

    But on WCF I have to mark all the properties and methods which are callable from a client, well I don’t want to have a Sort method exposed by the server because that code should be run on the client. I'm sure I’m just misunderstanding a concept and they're is a way around it but the answer isn't in the book "Pro WCF" by "Peiris Mulder" and it's rather frustrating. It seems the sites I’m looking at are simple duplicates of the magical "Add(int a, int [​IMG] or TellTheTime() methods which are great when you want a sneak peak of WCF but not when you’re trying to write a real-life app.

    Anyway, that’s my first experience on WCF. Don't get me wrong WCF is the future, what you can't do with WCF isn't worth doing in terms of scalability and reliability.

    How are you getting on with WCF then?<!--fontc--><!--/fontc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->




     

Share This Page