1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Java Invocation TargetException error

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by threepipes, Apr 13, 2013.

1. threepipes

threepipes

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Hi everyone!

I am trying to install a software on my computer. But whenever I run the setup file, I get this error which says - Fatal Application Error
    This Application has Unexpectedly Quit: Invocation of this Java Application has caused an Invocation TargetException. This application will now exit (LAX).

Screenshots: http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p765/threepies/Error01_zpse367ab55.png
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p765/threepies/Error02_zpsc0730eb7.png

My computer is 64 bit and runs Windows 8.

What do I need to fix this error and install the software?

Thanks a lot! [​IMG]

2. jaylach

jaylach Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

Need more info before anything specific could be said such as the make and model of your system or component specifics if home or custom built. Also might help if we knew the name of the software. Looking at the second screen shot my guess is that the application name is Life Cycle Manager??? Is this an 'older' software, possibly produced back in the Windows 2000 or XP days?

One thing that you could try before even having to give the above info would be to run the installer in Compatibility mode. To do this you would right click on the install file (or any and all files ending in .exe if on CD) and selecting properties. Under the Compatibility tab you will find the option to run is a mode more compatible with an earlier version of Windows.

3. threepipes

threepipes

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Thank you Jaylach! :)

No, the program runs fine on Windows 7.(And heard that people use the software on their Win 8 machines). The software was released last year. I tried to run in the compatible mode and Win 8 detected it was compatible to win XP (SP 3). Running the installation resulted in the same error.

My computer is Samsung NP350V5C S08IN. It runs Win 8 64bit and I bought it only 2 months back. It has core i7 processor and 8 GB of RAM which is more than sufficient to run the software. (People are running it on lower configuration machines). The program name is Star CCM+.

4. jaylach

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Did you look on the Star CCM+ web site to see if there happened to be an updated installer or patch? Sorry to say that I know nothing about this software.

Hmmm, is the account being used to attempt the install a restricted or admin account? If a restricted account try the install from an admin account. Even if the account being used is an admin account try right clicking the installer and selecting to run as admin..

5. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi, because your error report includes Java, just wondering if first do you have Java installed?
    Secondly is it currently up to date?
    And third, maybe the version you have is corrupt if you do have Java!

More than likely it will be out of date any way if you do have it, as there is a newer version out recently so have a look at the Java site here=

http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Click the button to verify that you have Java and whether it is up to date, you will be asked to download and install the update if it is out of date. The updater does now remove older versions any way. However if it says it is up to date, go to the program via the remove or change programs page and uninstall it, then re-install a fresh version.

Sorry I don't have Windows 8, so some things I have to generalise on)

Let us know how you get on with that please.

Nev.

6. jaylach

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Just to elaborate on Nev's sound advice...

I believe that in Windows 8 the path you would want to take to remove Java would be to go to your Metro Start page and select to show all applications. Look for the 'Control Panel' tile and click. Unless you have changed it already it will be in Category View. The selection for the view type will be in the upper right. Select either small or large icons. Now go to programs and features. If Java is installed it will be listed.

After you are certain that you have a good install of the latest version make sure to use Programs and features to remove any previous versions of Java.

BTW, Thanks Nev! I didn't know about the http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp page. Since I turn off the auto Java updater that link is now in my utilities folder. :)

7. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Just as a side note, wherever possible I have all updateable programs set to notify if update is available, but not automatically install. That way I can choose to install an update or not, and to make it wait till I am ready, and not be told I have to shut down and reboot when I am in the middle of something else.
    I recommend all Windows, Java (especially) and other updates should be installed as soon as possible, if only for security reasons as most updates do address security issues.
    Nev.