1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

attaching old hard drive to new desktop computer

Discussion in 'Hard Drive - HDD' started by montek, Dec 28, 2019.

1. montek

montek Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    hello people-- I just purchased a new HP desktop with a HDD and a SSD. I also have an old HP pavilion that I remover the Hard drive from and want to attach it to my new computer so as to ADD more space. I purchased from amazon the following item-- a USB 3.0 to SATA III adapter cable with UASP SATA to USB Converter for 2.5 " hard drives and Solid State drives. I plugged it into the back of the OLD hard drive and attached the USB end into my NEW computer. it should have shown up as ANOTHER hard drive- BUT it is NOT??? Ca anyone explain?? Please advise

As you can see from the pics-- the first pic- is the old hard drive from my original HP computer and the second pic- shows that cable/adapter that is connected to that drive and plugged into the new computer thru the USB port on the front of the new computer. This should be the new way of a so-called external hard drive connection in place of using the old Enclosure types-- why is the computer not recognizing the hard drive ??

I am trying to upload 2 pics showing the old hard drive and the cable connection- but it is not letting me attach the files?????

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and welcome Montek, That hard drive should show up in "This PC". Something to remember is that USB 2 ports on your computer are only spec'd to provide 5 volts at up to 500 mA. If that older hard drive requires more power, the computer may not see the drive. If that new desktop has USB 3 ports, try one of them. USB 3 ports have blue plastic. USB 3 ports should be able to provide up to 900 mA.

Just saying because I don't know if that USB/SATA adapter provides power to the SATA device or not. Maybe you can tell us the make/model of the adapter.

On uploading photos, the max file size is 5.3 MB. Are your photos less than 5.3 MB?

Seth Anthony likes this.
  3. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Further to what Tony said, is the old drive a 3.5" or a 2.5"?

A 3.5", will require an external AC adapter that plugs into the wall for sufficient power to run the drive.

allheart55 (Cindy E) and Tony D like this.
  4. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
  5. montek

Operating System:
    Windows 10
  6. montek

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    this is the hard drive I am trying to attach

Attached Files:

7. montek

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    this is the item i purchased----https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Cable-Converter-Drives-Solid/dp/B073SXTY64 and below is the pic of the old hard drive I am trying to attach-- please advise how to do this properly

Attached Files:

8. montek

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    this is the item i purchased----https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Cable-Converter-Drives-Solid/dp/B073SXTY64 --- the pic is attached to the other replies from other people- for some reason is not attaching for you-- but the hard drive label says the following- western Digital- WD10EADS- s/n-WCAU4c380356 P/N-5189-2998 CT- 2ADGF13UDXR201 Model WD10EADS-65L5B1
    WWN-50014EE1AC7FA604 1.0 TB
    Date-july 16 2009 5VDC:0.7A
    DCM-HHNNNT2MFN 12VDC:0.55A
    LBA: 1953525168 R/N:701590
    WD Caviar Green
    This is the info on the label of the old hard drive- and the amazon site link is shown form you above-- maybe you can tell me if what i purchased is correct?? or is there some way to make this work- or what should I purchase to make it work??? Thanks

9. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
  10. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
  11. montek

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Wow-- I really really appreciate your help-- thank you so much- I just have another question-- if i may-- You sent me TWO different items-- the first looks like the one I purchased but of course the right type- and it sells for $17.99-- while the second one you sent is what is known as a DOCKING station??-- But how does the docking station work-- is it plugged in thru a USB port? the picture is a little difficult to see? and the docking station is only $12.99??? Which would you recommend between the two?? and after reading some reviews on the product- do you think i will have to format the old Drive??
    Thanks again- and I anxiously await your reply on which product you think I should purchase. Thanks

12. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    The dock will plug into the computer via a USB cable. Reading through the comments, it comes with the USB cable and the AC power adapter.

The dock is basically the same as the first link I sent. Electrically they are the same. I prefer a dock just because it provides a place to put the hard drive. Others may prefer the first link.

If the old hard drive was working when you retired the old machine, you won’t need to format it.

13. montek

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I agree with your reply-- it is good to have someplace to put the hard drive instead of just having it lay on the desk?? also you said it plugs into the new computer thru a USB port-- BUT it also has an AC adapter-- does that mean it has to be plugged into an outlet?? or thats just an option??

14. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Yes, the dock (and the other adapter) needs to be plugged into an electrical outlet. That’s where it generates the extra 12v needed by the hard drive. USB ports only supply 5v.

Desktop drives (3.5”) need both 5v and 12v supplies.
    Laptop drives (2.5”) need only a 5v supply.

15. montek

Operating System:
    Windows 10
  16. montek

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    so I guess it needs to be BOTH plugged into the USB port AND the wall ? and I guess the station accommodates that as well??

17. montek

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I just want to reiterate how thankful I am for your knowledge and helping me

18. montek

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    One more thing -- on the docking station- I see a USB (blue) connector and a DC hole in back and an ON and OFF switch??? Does that ON and off switch mean you can actually have the Hard drive IN the station and yet TURN off the station to NOT have the drive show as part of the computer and also turn it ON to have it show as another drive? or should that ON button always be on regardless?

19. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    The Power button does what you say. You can leave the drive in the dock with the power boon in the Off position. When you want to mount the drive, switch it to the On position. The 12v and 5v power will be applied and the drive should be seen on the computer.

Before turning the switch to the Off position, don’t forget to “Safely remove hardware” as you would do with any USB-connected drive.

20. montek

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    great- thank you-- but just one more - you did not answer my question on that other type of station I sent you ? should I stick with your type??