1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

[Solved] Word Format identified on right side of document

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Boonski, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Boonski

Boonski Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    A friend gave me a word doc file but when viewing it there is a column on the right side that identifies each formatting entry. The attached jpg file can better show the problem.
    Don't know how it happened or how this formatting view appears but how is it removed?
    I did open the file in MS Word 2007 and the format view disappeared but that doesn't tell me how to correct the original document.
    Tried format help in Word but couldn't find the answer.
    Is there an expert out there with the answer?

Attached Files:

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    When revising documents, Word will format deleted text as Strikethru; Added text is underlined.

Not sure what you mean by that statement.

In Word 2007, you can show and hide hidden text using Cntl + *. Hold down the Cntl and Shift keys. Then tap the 8 on the top row of your keyboard. You can also get there via the Home tab, Paragraph section. It's the paragraph marker icon in the lower right corner of the Paragraph section.

When printing, go to the Print Options button (lower left corner). Uncheck the Hidden text option.

3. Boonski

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    That is not the problem. I am very familiar with the show/hide paragraph button and show all paragraph marks when composing documents.
    The attached jpg image shows the blocks of text that read:
    Formatted: Underline
    Formatted: Left
    Formatted: Font: Not Italic
    These text blocks are displayed to the right of the document margin with dashed lines leading to the identified text.

Attached Files:

4. Boonski

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    PS: I can right click on each individual text block and select "Accept format change". But that is not the answer I am looking for.
    Don

5. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    In the Review tab, check out the Tracking section.

Click on Reviewing Pane - That alternates between hiding and showing the reviewing pane on my Word 2007. Yours may be different because my reviewing pane is on the left, not the right.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  6. Boonski

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Tony, you are one Super Moderator.
    I turned off every item that was listed in Track Changes and it worked.

The lady that asked me to solve the problem said, "I wonder if my son made some changes". She may be right.
    Tracking changes is something I never use. In fact there are a lot of tools that I never use. But I guess MS has to keep adding changes they think improve a program to sell more. My choice is to "keep it simple", why break it if it works. I will not get into Operating System discussions.

Seth Anthony likes this.
  7. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Word has features most people don't use. The revision feature comes in handy when sending documents to others to check. It keeps track of everyone's changes. It's not something home users would need, but in the corporate world, it's appreciated.