1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Wireless Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Anthony, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Anthony

Anthony

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi, I am working on a compaq presario c740em. It was downgraded to XP, and no drivers were installed. I reinstalled vista and installed all 4 wireless drivers form the HP website, to no avail. The device manager says the Atheros driver is installed, but even when i restart the computer it doesnt show the wireless connection software. Any ideas?

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello Anthony and welcome.

First off, take a look at your Device Manager. Expand the Network Adapters section by clicking on the + sign. Make sure the wireless adapter is installed and that there are no red or yellow marks next to the adapter.

From there, you should see an icon in the Notification Area, to the left of the time. You should be able to click on the icon to see available wireless networks.

3. moscatomama

moscatomama

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    My husband has an old computer that I recently tried to connect to our wifi. We have 2 other laptops in the house that are connected without any problems. This old computer is windows Vista, and it will connect to our wifi but an hourglass spins and says "identifying network), yet the name of the network is in parentheses nearby it.
    I don't know how to get the computer to identify the network so it will complete the connection to the internet. I have tried everything.

4. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    When encountering problems with connecting to wireless networks, the first thing to do is to remove (temporarily) any security. So if you have a WEP, WPA, or anyother security going on, remove it. See if you can connect to the network.