1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Won't Start After Power Outage

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by MechelleBewley, Jul 21, 2012.

1. MechelleBewley

MechelleBewley

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Enterprise
    Hello! My computer was working fine today but we've had heavy storms. Today during a storm we had a couple of power outages. The first power outage lasted around a minute or 2 and I returned the computer on and it loaded just fine. It did, however return to the loading error screen and gave me options from which to choose. It shut down on me a couple more times (because we had around 2 more outages that lasted a few minutes each) and each time I tried to reload it but the outage shut it down again. Basically, my computer was shut down around 3 times in an irregular way. I've tried starting in Safe Mode (regular and using networking) but it gets stuck on a driver. When I choose the option of starting it from the last known good configuration it takes a very long time to load and then after it can't load, it restarts itself and takes me back to the loading error screen. I've tried booting from a CD/DVD and it gets to the loading windows files screen, but instead of loading my Windows Vista Installation cd, it goes back to the loading screen. This time however, it does start my webcam (the light comes on), however, when it stops loading the screen just goes black and it stays there. I'm not sure what to do because it won't even let me boot startup repair. I don't hear any weird noises from my hdd like clicking or anything. Any help?

Thanks!

2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi LilBee. Welcome to Computer Help Forums.
    I would say your PSU (Power Supply) is cooked and if your lucky your Motherboard will still be OK.

Best to take it to a Computer Shop and let them test your PSU and Motherboard.

3. DirtyPolo

DirtyPolo Inactive Staff Member

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hey LilBee,

Have you had any other errors such as bluescreens? also does it get stuck on the same driver each time when you try start in safemode? if so, can you try note it down for us?

In future, I would suggest powering your PC via a surge protecting power socket/extension at the very least. For ultimate protection against power outages and surges you can use an active surge protector (Uninterrupted power supply) which cost quite a bit more, but they supply your PC with constant power and if the power goes for any reason it supplies it with enough juice to shut down your PC properly.that it stores.