1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

[Solved] Windows Home Server 2008 R2 Question

Discussion in 'Windows Home Server' started by Pravin, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Pravin

Pravin Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I Own two copies of WHS 2008. I Know how to set them up but is there a way that I can access both of them? I mean with the client software that comes with it. I can connect directly to the WHS, but am I able to also connect to the second one or should I just use the second one for my room mate or family instead?

2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) CHF Adviser CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I don't know a lot about what your trying to do. Why can't your NAS handle what your trying to achieve?

3. Pravin

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Yup I just have two computers lying around and was thinking why not! XD haha With the WHS I can also back up my networked computers. Also my nasses I only have two, and each holds two Hard Drives. But the two computers can hold a number of extra drives and I have some old 500 GB drives around the house when I upgraded to 1 TB Drives! So will they do the same thing yeah they do, is it redundant yeah of course! Why am I doing it then, I am bored and I work on computers as a hobby.

Basically what I want to do is have both of the WHS machines up and running, and use them for the same purpose as the nasses. Except for one thing I want one of them to back up my pc. Also I want to be able to either a) access both of them at the same time, or allow me to access one and log off that one and then log onto the other to access those files.

Is it possible or should I stick with windows 7 home groups for the same purposes. Because the computers currently have win 7 on them. I would prefer to use the WHS licenses on those computers since they are older computers, and use those win 7 licenses on the two new computers I built.

Also the project I am working on, combines all of these smaller projects. I am trying to work on a home automation project. The website that I had planned on on making was just me trying to learn out how to just bored and would like to learn and I have no idea what I want the website to be about.

I jut can't find the single forum to post in since all of these projects use up all different topics, issues, problems, hardware and software. So I post in the most relevant one at a time.

4. Pravin

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Also I am thinking of using both wireless touch screens and tablets in this project.

Tablet sized ones, for using with a pc, or a stand alone in the hallways wall mounted.

A smart tv, tablets, phones either android or apple not a fan of black berry and not sure what else. Probably some software that will allow me to control it all by voice. For example call mom, or call Fred, or play playlist 1 in the living room, or watch *insert movie* in the living room or lounge. Turn off the lights in the kitchen, turn off the lamps in the top light in the bed room which will leave the lamps turned on. I want to have the option to control the house by touch, with mouse and keyboard, by voice and maybe remotely. Like if I wanted to know if I forgot to turn off the lights in the bed room when i am down stairs I can check and turn it off. Or if I am on the go I can check and turn it off remotely.

5. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    All your ideas are sending me into a head spin.:yikes:

6. Pravin

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Good or bad? haha

7. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I think I need therapy after that. I am sending you the Bill.:biggrin::biggrin:

8. Pravin

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Haha so what do you think of my ideas? Also what do you think of the question of this thread? XD

9. Pravin

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Got my hands on a tablet. A Samsung 7" 8GB Galaxy Tab 2. Wifi only tho. >.< It will go well with my Galaxy Nexus 3rd Gen! Anyone have any idea if it will work with the two WHS up and running can one PC connect to both either one at a time or simultaneously?

10. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    All I can say is go on give it a try and let us know, as far as I know it should work, but you are on new ground here.

Nev.

11. DirtyPolo

DirtyPolo Inactive Staff Member

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Asus P5K Premium Black Pearl
    CPU:
    Intel Q6600 @ 3.3GHz
    Memory:
    2GB OCZ Reaper + 4GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card:
    ATI Radeon HD6950 - Unlocked to 6970.
    Not familiar with WHS much, but I don't see why it couldn't connect to both at the same time. Unless there is some kind of concurrency feature that for the security/integrity of your files you can only connect to one at a time to stop 2 different sources trying to modify/backup the same file, but that should be handled by the local OS. I will have a read up on WHS, as my knowledge lies with Linux personally.

12. Pravin

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I will give it a try! ^^ I was just cautious because of the connector software ^^