1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

[Solved] Windows 8 Sound Adjustment

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by daveleonard, May 17, 2015.

1. daveleonard

daveleonard Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    Hello folks, I just recently installed win8.0. Today I tried to record using my Win Sound Recorder. Something was recorded because the file shows about 1,400 bites of info on it but when I try playback I don't hear anything. I have another app called "Free Sound Recorder" and I cannot hear anything from that either. I do not have a microphone but the device and the app should use the sound card, right? Anyway, I am sure I need to make some adjustments somewhere but I do not know what. I am attaching snips of my sound mgr to show what I have and the actually recording I made. The app tells me to make sure the sound source is on mono or stereo but I see no adjustment for that either in the app or in windows. Thanks for your help.
    Blessings, dave

ps: as it turns out I cannot attach the audio file.

Attached Files:

2. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hello Dave,
    It looks like stereo mix isn't enabled which you need to record sounds from the sound card.

I don't actually know if the drivers in Windows 8 will allow stereo mix, however we can but try.

First thing is to open that recording window as in "Sound 2"

Then right click on an empty space within that window, Hopefully you should see at least two tick boxes for "Show disabled devices" and "Show disconnected devices" so then click the boxes to put ticks in all.

If all is correct in the drivers, you should then see a new entry "Stereo mix" appears.

If so right click on that and then click "Enable"

If all of that works, you should then be able to record sounds.

You might have to check your sound recording program that stereo mix is selected as the sound source.

Let us know if any different from my description please.

Nev.

3. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    Good morning Nev. I did indeed find the disabled and disconnected boxes and put ticks in the boxes, But no stereo mix option appeared. I guess I need some additional installation. Thanks much.
    Blessings from Camiguin Island. Dave

4. Plastic Nev

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    OK Dave, being Windows 8 which I am not familiar with, I did think they may have stopped including stereo mix since Windows 7. There was a rumour about that some time since.
    I will have a search round and see if there are any answers though.
    However if you have a line in and a line out port, or even a ear phone and mic port, you could try a patch lead between the two and see if you can record sound that way.

Edit to add.
    There seems to be some suggestions that the ability to record sound, especially via the stereo mix has been discontinued to prevent people recording copyright protected sounds streamed off the internet.
    That means you cannot record sound that is already coming out of your speakers from such as Youtube or music streaming sites.
    You can only record sounds that are put in via line in or microphone ports, so the patch lead is about the only way forwards. Unfortunately that might mean some loss of sound quality.

Nev.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  5. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    Thanks Nev for the response. I have a ear phone and a mic port but I do not know what a "patch lead between the two" is. I am pretty un-tech when it comes to hardware. I suppose you mean a simple line with identical plugs on each end with one end plugged into the ear port and the other into the mic port? I don't have one handy like that but I could look around at the pc store downtown. I will just wait until I hear back from you just be be safe and you may find another solution anyway.
    Thanks so much from Camiguin Island, Dave

6. Plastic Nev

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Yes Dave, a patch lead is as you described a short lead with a plug for the mic port on one end and a (Usually) similar plug for the earphone port.
    The purpose is to take the sound from the earphone and send it back in to the microphone port so the sound recording software can actually record from it.
    You will need to experiment with microphone volume and earphone volume to get the best results.
    You won't hear anything from the speakers though due to the plug being in the earphone port, so you will need to make several short recordings to find the best settings for the finished recording. (Pull the plug out of the earphone port when playing the recording back so you can hear it in the speakers)

Nev.

7. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    Hello Nev, I did try the patch lead but it did not work. I tried both the built in sound recorder and the app Free Sound Recorder but same thing, no recording or sounds on playback. Should I just buy a mic and record off my speakers?
    Thanks, Blessings, Dave

8. Plastic Nev

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi Dave, go back again to the #2 recording page, right click on the second one down the one that says "High definition audio device. Not plugged in" and make sure it is selected as default device, and enabled, then try the lead again.
    With sound going in, the display thing on the right should then show the levels going up and down.

Nev.

9. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    Hey Nev, I did that and made the line in the default. Then I went on line and tried both the Win Sound Recorder and The App, recording by both, but nothing played back. It could be how I made the line. I just took cords off of two other devices that had the same plugs and twisted them together making one line and plugged them in. When I did that I got a windows message that said; windows can now record from this device. Of course, it did not. I guess ms made win 8 bullet proof in this regard.
    But now let me tell you the success I did have. I tried an old pair of ear phones I have into the mic jack. My Sound Recorder worked and did record. I tried them also on the App and the App did record. The recordings were not good because the ear phones are a mighty poor mic but at least they did work. I can see how the MS Sound Recorder worked, the ear pieces acted as a mic. But how did the app work? The app must have also used the ear pieces since I changed the default and because the quality of the recording was very poor. So I guess that means I cannot use the sound card to record, but I know both devices work and record now. The line in didn't work but maybe I need to buy a commercial one from the store?

Thanks and Blessings. Dave

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  10. Plastic Nev

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Yes I would invest in a short lead Dave, you can get very short ones of a maximum of a foot or so and quite cheap, just twisting wires together doesn't sound too good to me as it is easy to get it the wrong way round. If your experiment with the cheapo earbuds worked, a correctly made patch lead should do as well.

Nev.

11. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    Ok Nev, I will do so. Will let you know after I try them out. If it does not work, I will just get a nice mic and record through my HF speakers. Thanks,

Blessings from Camiguin Island, Philippines.

12. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    No go Nev. I bought a lead-in, commercial, but it did not work. So I'll just buy a nice microphone and record from my HF Speakers. I only record sermons and christian music. Its not like it has to be prof grade.
    Thanks anyway.
    Blessings from Camiguin Philippines, dave

13. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    The answer to this problem is to download this app: http://www.mp3-editor.net/download.html
    Be careful to avoid all the add- ons, adware and offers but the core app works great for downloading online sounds. Be sure and run a good scan afterward to get the pups and adware off the system. Although the recording depends on your system, if you only have mono, that's what you will get but its good recording and you can edit any sound file. I had a sound file that was very weak at the source. I ran it through the editor and increased the volume by 400% and that was all I needed.
    Blessings from Camiguin Island Philippines

14. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    That's good your sorted Dave. Run a full scan with every security program you have after downloading that program, Dave.

This is not a download I would recommend.
    I downloaded it and no matter how careful you are it dumps nasties on your system. I was very careful and took three scans with Malwarebytes to be sure I was clean again.

15. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    Yes, you are right. Not only do they use add-ons you can see but a lot of stuff you cannot. Thankfully I believe I got it all. At least the core app is good for what I need. Thanks.
    Blessings Camiguin Island Philippines