1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

windows 7 network adapter probs.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by john hughes, Feb 2, 2022.

1. john hughes

john hughes Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Hello. Could anyone help me solve a problem. I have a windows 7 32 bit laptop and lost the internet connection for some reason. Having check various things I have noticed that when you go into control panel>network and internet sharing>Change adapter settings all of the adapter connections have disappeared. I have tried resetting the winsock and having seen a video on altering a setting in Hkey_Local machine _system\current control set\control\network. I have tried both without success. This all started when I tried to speed up the win 7 laptop by going into msconfig and disabling startup items and hiding all Microsoft services in services. However, having restored all these it has made no difference. I am sure there is an answer. Any suggestions please.

Thank you for your help.

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    First thing to do is to go into the Device Manager and look in the Network section to see if the network adapter shows up.

To get to the Device Manager by right clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties and then Device Manager.

IJAC likes this.
  3. john hughes

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Hello. There are two network adaptors showing up in device manager. I have uninstalled them and they have been automatically reinstalled by the operating system but with no effect. I have also checked for drivers. It says that all drivers are up to date.

4. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I forgot to ask if you're connecting with Ethernet or wirelessly.

Try bringing your computer 'back in time' using System Restore. You can find that by right clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties and then System protection.

IJAC likes this.
  5. john hughes

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Hello. Further to my last post in msconfig the network connections status has stopped. Also, two network adapters working. In control panel it says that the dependency service or group failed to start. Not sure what that means. Also. in services.msc when i try to turn on the network connections setting it states the same thing about the dependency service or group failing to start. Not sure how to rectify this at the moment.

6. john hughes

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Hello. Tried to use system restore but it said the same thing about being unable to work due to dependency service etc.

7. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    In MSCONFIG check your Program Startup again, and make sure anything related to internet use is enabled...especially if you have a Dell computer.

If however, you messed around in the Services tab, and that is what is causing the issue, then check online for a Window's 7 Batch file to restore the Services to the Default state. I would check for you, but I gotta go.....

IJAC likes this.
  8. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Seth and I posted at the same time. I'll echo his advice.
    Go back to msconfig and enable all those services you disabled.

I'll add: Go back to the registry and undo whatever it was you did to change it.

Seth Anthony and IJAC like this.
  9. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    IJAC and allheart55 (Cindy E) like this.
  10. john hughes

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Hello. Thanks for your help. I tried the Eset batch file but without success. If all else fails i have thought about downloading a win 7 iso file and reinstalling it over the top of the existing pre installed version. I take it i can do that unless you have any other ideas?What does dependency service or group failed to start mean as this is what is being shown?

11. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    You might have a very hard time finding a Windows 7 ISO to download from a legitimate site. MS has pulled the Windows 7 ISO downloads.

IJAC likes this.