1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 7 Hints and Tips.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Jelly-Bean, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Jelly-Bean

Jelly-Bean Registered Members

Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA790X-DS4
    CPU:
    3.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
    Memory:
    OCZ 4 gig DDR2
    Hard Drive:
    Seagate 300 gig
    Graphics Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
    Power Supply:
    OCZ 500 watt
    Shake Windows off your Desktop:

To clear the desktop:

Left click and hold on the Title Bar of the window you only want to show on the desktop.

Shake the window a bit by quickly dragging it left and right.

When the desktop clears, drop.

To restore the desktop:

Left click and hold on the Title Bar of the same window.

Shake the window a bit by quickly dragging it left and right.

When the minimized windows return to the desktop, drop (release the left click) the window.

Windows 7 secrets:

To open command prompt:

Just hold down the Shift Key and right click on the desktop.

And then you can choose Open Command Window Here from the menu.

But then again just right click on a folder and choose Open command prompt window here.

Try this Secret:

When you right click on a file/icon you see the usal items in the list,Open/Send to and so on.

Hold down the Shift key while right-clicking on the icon, and then try the Send To menu.

Wow loads of things in the list of send to.

If you want any of those to show up normally without holding down the Shift key, you can create shortcuts in the Send To folder. Just type the following into the location bar:

shell:sendto

And then drag shortcuts to your preferred folders into this folder.

Uncover the jumplists:

One of the best new features of the new UI is the jumplists. Right click on a Taskbar icon and you’ll be presented with a series of shortcut options for that application – selecting a recently-played album in Windows Media Player, for example. You’ll also find jumplists sprouting from application listings on the Start menu.

Unpin the default apps:

Microsoft has cheekily pinned Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player and Windows Explorer to the Taskbar, ensuring they remain a constant presence on your desktop. If you want to get shot of them, right click on the app’s Taskbar icon and select Unpin This Program From Taskbar. If you want to replace them with your favourite software, open the application of your choice, right click on its Taskbar icon and select Pin This Program To Taskbar.

Silence User Account Controls:

To stop UAC interrupting your working day every two-and-a-half-minutes with another inane request, type UAC into the new Windows Start menu search bar, select the Change User Account Control Settings option and drag the slider right down to Never Notify. Just take a little extra care with your day-to-day computing, as you’ll almost certainly be running without security software.

Sort out the System Tray:

The System Tray now has an overspill area, allowing you to relegate attention-hungry applications to a hidden sin bin. Click on the little up arrow on the left-hand side of the System Tray and click Customize to pick and choose which System Tray icons you want to see, and how much you want them to bother you with alerts.

Boost the text size:

The huge screens and high resolutions of today’s flat panel monitors can make it difficult to read on-screen text, particularly if you use your PC as a Media Center on the main living room television. Windows 7 allows you to boost the size of text on screen to up to 150% of its normal size to make it more readable. Right click on the desktop, choose Screen Resolution and select the Make Text And Other Items Larger or Smaller.

Stretch out on extra displays:

It’s now far easier to extend the Windows desktop on to secondary displays. Simply press Windows +P and you’ll be presented with options to extend, duplicate or show your desktop only on the secondary display.

Reverting back to Vista:

If you used the upgrade to Windows 7 then you decide ewwwww I do not like that?

If you find issues trying to uninstall the upgrade or revert back to Vista and find it impossible.

Or you find it impossible to reinstall Vista.

Pop in the Vista disk and run a repair.

This will get you back up and running with Vista.

However you may find Vista a little buggy,if you do then I am afraid it is reinstall Vista.

william252 likes this.
  2. Jelly-Bean

CPU:
    Memory:
    OCZ 4 gig DDR2
    Hard Drive:
    Seagate 300 gig
    Graphics Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
    Power Supply:
    OCZ 500 watt
    Windows 7 Keyboard Shortcuts:

Win+Up Maximise

Win+Down Restore/Maximise

Win+Left Snap to Left

Win+Right Snap to Right

Win+Shift+Left Jump to Left Monitor

Win+Shift+Right Jump to Right Monitor

Win+Home Minimise/Restore all other Windows

Win+T Focus the first taskbar entry/Pressing again will cycle through them, you can can arrow around.Win+Shift+T cycles backwards.

Win+Space Peek at the desktop

Win+G Bring gadgets to the top of the Z-order

Win+P External display options (mirror, extend desktop, etc)

Win+X Mobility Center (same as Vista, but still handy!)

Win+#
    (# = a number key)
    Launches a new instance of the application in the Nth slot on the taskbar.

Example: Win+1 launches first pinned app, Win+2 launches second, etc.

Win + +
    Win + -
    (plus or minus key)
    Zoom in or out.

Windows Explorer:

Alt+P Show/hide Preview Pane

Taskbar modifiers:

Shift + Click on icon Open a new instance

Middle click on icon Open a new instance

Ctrl + Shift + Click on icon Open a new instance with Admin privileges

Shift + Right-click on icon Show window menu (Restore / Minimize / Move / etc)

Note: Normally you can just right-click on the window thumbnail to get this menu

Shift + Right-click on grouped icon Menu with Restore All / Minimize All / Close All, etc.

Ctrl + Click on grouped icon Cycle between the windows (or tabs) in the group

3. Jelly-Bean

CPU:
    Memory:
    OCZ 4 gig DDR2
    Hard Drive:
    Seagate 300 gig
    Graphics Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
    Power Supply:
    OCZ 500 watt
    Add-ons:

Add-ons can cause slow loading pages.

Open IE8/Tools/Manage Add-ons/scroll right in the list view o see which add-on is taking the most time to load.

Quick Launch is missing:

Right-click the taskbar, choose Toolbars / New Toolbar.

In the folder selection dialog, enter the following string and hit OK:

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Turn off the lock the taskbar setting, and right-click on the divider. Make sure that Show text and Show title are disabled and the view is set to small icons.

Use the dividers to rearrange the toolbar ordering to choice, and then lock the taskbar again.

Vista looking Task Bar:

Right-click on the taskbar and choose the properties dialog. Select the small icons checkbox and under the taskbar buttons setting, choose combine when taskbar is full.

ISO burner:

Double-click on any DVD or CD .ISO image and a little box popsup.You can now burn an ISO.

Windows 7 install from USB pen drive:

Take a 4GB USB 2.0 thumbdrive, reformat it as FAT32, and simply copy the contents of the Windows 7 Beta ISO image to the memory stick using xcopy e:\ f:\ /e /f (where e: was the DVD drive and f: was the removable drive location).

Nic Fillinghams Top 15 Apps and Codecs Pack downloads:

01. Windows Live Essentials suite - FREE
    Includes Windows Live Messenger, Photo Gallery, Writer & Mail. Also includes Silverlight

02. Live Mesh - FREE
    All my files are synced across my various machines with Live Mesh. I also take full advantage of the 5GB of cloud storage

03. WinRAR - Shareware (US$29)
    My favorite compression and archiving tool. Supports basically any archive format you throw at it including ISO and Linux archives

04. AVG Free Anti-Virus - FREE
    Light weight, free anti-virus protection. Does require updates to be manually installed though

05. Firefox (plus Flash & DownThemAll) - FREE
    IE8 is my default browser however it is still in beta and there are a few web sites out there that render better in Firefox. DownThemAll is an amazing download utility that dramatically speeds up download times

06. VLC Media Player - FREE
    Basically a Quicktime replacement as VLC can playback most *.MOV files

07. Xvid Codec - FREE
    *Update* Windows Media Player 12 (found in the Windows 7 beta) natively supports Xvid, Divx and MP4 codecs however if (like me) you have a couple of videos in your collection that don't play correctly try installing the Xvid codec.
    For decoding Xvid, Divx and MP4 video files in Windows Media Player

08. AC3 Filter - FREE
    *Update* As above - you may not need this codec but if you find you're not getting any sound when plating back a video file it might an AC3/DTS issue.
    Audio filter that enables Windows Media Player to playback movies with AC3 and DTS audio tracks

09. ImgBurn - FREE
    *Update* Windows 7 burns ISO images natively so this tool is mainly used for creating ISO images.
    Great CD/DVD burning and ISO creation utility

10. Easy CD-DA Extractor - 30 Day Free Trial (US$37)
    *Update* I primarily use Easy CD-DA Extractor for converting from one file format to the other ie. lossless to MP3 and for the odd CD that WMP12 is unable to rip for me.
    "The Swiss Army Knife of Digital Audio" pretty much sums up Easy CD-DA Extractor. I still buy physical CD's from real music stores,... how crazy is that!! Easy CD-DA Extractor allows me to back-up my discs and convert to MP3 for storage on my Windows Home Server

11. Paint.NET - FREE
    *Update* The new Paint application in Windows 7 is a great update but if you need to work with some basic layers or some more advanced features then Paint.NET is a great tool.
    Simple yet powerful free Photoshop alternative. Not quite as comprehensive as GIMP but does the basics and does them well

12. SharePod - FREE
    iTunes alternative for transferring tracks on (and off) ipods

13. Skype (version 4.0 Beta 3) - FREE
    I think we all know what Skype is

14. FileZilla - FREE
    Light weight, free FTP Utility. Supports file resume

15. Microsoft Office 2007 - 60 Day Free Trial (from US$80)
    Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint are my essentials although Windows Live Mail is a great alternative if you don't need the complexity of Outlook

4. Match

Match Registered Members

Abit AN52
    CPU:
    AMD Athlon dual core 5000+
    Memory:
    4 Gig Corsair
    Hard Drive:
    160 Gb Hitachi 500 Gb Western Digital
    Graphics Card:
    Radion XFX 4650
    Power Supply:
    550W EZcool
  5. BSchwarz

BSchwarz Guest

Great post Jelly Bean. Thanks for this.

6. Jelly-Bean

CPU:
    Memory:
    OCZ 4 gig DDR2
    Hard Drive:
    Seagate 300 gig
    Graphics Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
    Power Supply:
    OCZ 500 watt
    Thankyou guys.

I thought if I start one you guys and girls may add to it.

Please note I do like key words in bold as it makes it look more pro.

:)

They are my hints and tips they took me ages to find and research.

7. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I have been actually considering giving it to Black Friday and getting a new laptop. If occurs to me that there must be a number of tips available for those of us who are moving away from XP, have good working machines and want to import the important stuff.

For example, How to move bookmarks, convert Outlook Express data to another mail client, etc.

I have been looking at these things in advance any move and, while I don't think it will be all that difficult to figure, I would like to think that I am a bit more advanced than the average person who is doing this (Shut up, Dalo!!)

I have read JBs tips and they seem pretty useful once it is all done, but they don't fully meet what I am getting at.

8. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    We need "How to's" rather than Tips, at this stage.:)

9. alien

alien Guest

thankyou for shaing the information about windows 7 this give me lot of help to use windows 7 i have a windows 7 and i can give tis messege to other user

thanks

10. alien

alien Guest

thankyou for shaing the information about windows 7 this give me lot of help to use windows 7 i have a windows 7 and i can give tis messege to other user

thanks

11. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    One to add to the keyboard short cuts that I found elsewhere, so no credit to me, but remember the useful "Run" command in XP? If you want it just press the windows and "R". Up comes the old "RUN" box. If you would like that one back on the start menu as it used to be in XP. From the same source-.
    Right click the Start button and select Properties, then "Customise, in the next window to open scroll down the list to "Run Command". Put a tick in the box, then click the OK's to exit, that is it done.
    There are a few of the old run commands that worked in XP will still do so in W7, but be aware some will not.

12. d_may9

d_may9 Junior Member

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    CPU:
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    none (intergrated)
    Power Supply:
    Is the run and search the same?
    d_may

13. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    No they are not :rolleyes:
    Typing in search will give you a list of suggested items that match the search criteria with the most obvious at the top. For example, suppose you are looking for msconfig. Type it in search and it will give it to you at the top. Click on it and you get msconfig.

If you type it into a run box it will simply run msconfig. Another major difference is that you can type command "cmd" in the run box and get a "DOS like" window where you can execute your commands.

14. Alan

Alan Inactive

Full Listing Of windows 7 Shortcuts

Here’s the full list of Windows 7 keyboard shortcuts or accelerator hotkeys available on the operating system level and also for several built-in application programs in Windows 7, as published by Microsoft.

Ease of Access keyboard shortcuts
    * Right Shift for eight seconds: Turn Filter Keys on and off
    * Left Alt + Left Shift + PrtScn (or PrtScn): Turn High Contrast on or off
    * Left Alt + Left Shift + Num Lock: Turn Mouse Keys on or off
    * Shift five times: Turn Sticky Keys on or off
    * Num Lock for five seconds: Turn Toggle Keys on or off
    * Windows logo key + U: Open the Ease of Access Center
    General keyboard shortcuts
    * F1: Display Help
    * Ctrl + C (or Ctrl + Insert): Copy the selected item
    * Ctrl + X: Cut the selected item
    * Ctrl + V (or Shift + Insert): Paste the selected item
    * Ctrl + Z: Undo an action
    * Ctrl + Y: Redo an action
    * Delete (or Ctrl + D): Delete the selected item and move it to the Recycle Bin
    * Shift + Delete: Delete the selected item without moving it to the Recycle Bin first
    * F2: Rename the selected item
    * Ctrl + Right Arrow: Move the cursor to the beginning of the next word
    * Ctrl + Left Arrow: Move the cursor to the beginning of the previous word
    * Ctrl + Down Arrow: Move the cursor to the beginning of the next paragraph
    * Ctrl + Up Arrow: Move the cursor to the beginning of the previous paragraph
    * Ctrl + Shift with an arrow key: Select a block of text
    * Shift + any arrow key: Select more than one item in a window or on the desktop, or select text within a document
    * Ctrl + any arrow key + Spacebar: Select multiple individual items in a window or on the desktop
    * Ctrl + A: Select all items in a document or window
    * F3: Search for a file or folder
    * Alt + Enter: Display properties for the selected item
    * Alt + F4: Close the active item, or exit the active program
    * Alt + Spacebar: Open the shortcut menu for the active window
    * Ctrl + F4: Close the active document (in programs that allow you to have multiple documents open simultaneously)
    * Alt + Tab: Switch between open items
    * Ctrl + Alt + Tab: Use the arrow keys to switch between open items
    * Ctrl + Mouse scroll wheel: Change the size of icons on the desktop
    * Windows logo key + Tab: Cycle through programs on the taskbar by using Aero Flip 3-D
    * Ctrl+ Windows logo key + Tab: Use the arrow keys to cycle through programs on the taskbar by using Aero Flip 3-D
    * Alt + Esc: Cycle through items in the order in which they were opened
    * F6: Cycle through screen elements in a window or on the desktop
    * F4: Display the address bar list in Windows Explorer
    * Shift + F10: Display the shortcut menu for the selected item
    * Ctrl + Esc: Open the Start menu
    * Alt + underlined letter: Display the corresponding menu
    * Alt + underlined letter: Perform the menu command (or other underlined command)
    * F10: Activate the menu bar in the active program
    * Right Arrow: Open the next menu to the right, or open a submenu
    * Left Arrow: Open the next menu to the left, or close a submenu
    * F5 (or Ctrl + R): Refresh the active window
    * Alt + Up Arrow: View the folder one level up in Windows Explorer
    * Esc: Cancel the current task
    * Ctrl + Shift + Esc: Open Task Manager
    * Shift when you insert a CD: Prevent the CD from automatically playing
    * Left Alt + Shift: Switch the input language when multiple input languages are enabled
    * Ctrl + ShiftL: Switch the keyboard layout when multiple keyboard layouts are enabled
    * Right or Left Ctrl + Shift: Change the reading direction of text in right-to-left reading languages
    Dialog box keyboard shortcuts
    * Ctrl + Tab: Move forward through tabs
    * Ctrl + Shift + Tab: Move back through tabs
    * Tab: Move forward through options
    * Shift + Tab: Move back through options
    * Alt + underlined letter: Perform the command (or select the option) that goes with that letter
    * Enter: Replaces clicking the mouse for many selected commands
    * Spacebar: Select or clear the check box if the active option is a check box
    * Arrow keys: Select a button if the active option is a group of option buttons
    * F1: Display Help
    * F4: Display the items in the active list
    * Backspace: Open a folder one level up if a folder is selected in the Save As or Open dialog box
    Windows logo key keyboard shortcuts
    * Windows logo key: Open or close the Start menu.
    * Windows logo key + Pause: Display the System Properties dialog box.
    * Windows logo key + D: Display the desktop.
    * Windows logo key + M: Minimize all windows.
    * Windows logo key + Shift + M: Restore minimized windows to the desktop.
    * Windows logo key + E: Open Computer.
    * Windows logo key + F: Search for a file or folder.
    * Ctrl + Windows logo key + F: Search for computers (if you’re on a network).
    * Windows logo key + L: Lock your computer or switch users.
    * Windows logo key + R: Open the Run dialog box.
    * Windows logo key + T: Cycle through programs on the taskbar.
    * Windows logo key + number: Start the program pinned to the taskbar in the position indicated by the number. If the program is already running, switch to that program.
    * Shift + Windows logo key + number: Start a new instance of the program pinned to the taskbar in the position indicated by the number.
    * Ctrl + Windows logo key + number: Switch to the last active window of the program pinned to the taskbar in the position indicated by the number.
    * Alt + Windows logo key + number: Open the Jump List for the program pinned to the taskbar in the position indicated by the number.
    * Windows logo key + Tab: Cycle through programs on the taskbar by using Aero Flip 3-D.
    * Ctrl+Windows logo key + Tab: Use the arrow keys to cycle through programs on the taskbar by using Aero Flip 3-D.
    * Ctrl+Windows logo key + B: Switch to the program that displayed a message in the notification area.
    * Windows logo key + Spacebar: Preview the desktop.
    * Windows logo key + Up Arrow: Maximize the window.
    * Windows logo key + Left Arrow: Maximize the window to the left side of the screen.
    * Windows logo key + Right Arrow: Maximize the window to the right side of the screen.
    * Windows logo key + Down Arrow: Minimize the window.
    * Windows logo key + Home: Minimize all but the active window.
    * Windows logo key + Shift + Up Arrow: Stretch the window to the top and bottom of the screen.
    * Windows logo key + Shift+ Left Arrow or Right Arrow: Move a window from one monitor to another.
    * Windows logo key + P: Choose a presentation display mode.
    * Windows logo key + G: Cycle through gadgets.
    * Windows logo key + U: Open Ease of Access Center.
    * Windows logo key + X: Open Windows Mobility Center.
    Windows Explorer keyboard shortcuts
    * Ctrl + N: Open a new window
    * Ctrl + W: Close the current window
    * Ctrl + Shift + N: Create a new folder
    * End: Display the bottom of the active window
    * Home: Display the top of the active window
    * F11: Maximize or minimize the active window
    * Ctrl + Period (.): Rotate a picture clockwise
    * Ctrl + Comma (,): Rotate a picture counter-clockwise
    * Num Lock + Asterisk (*) on numeric keypad: Display all subfolders under the selected folder
    * Num Lock + Plus Sign (+) on numeric keypad: Display the contents of the selected folder
    * Num Lock + Minus Sign (-) on numeric keypad: Collapse the selected folder
    * Left Arrow: Collapse the current selection (if it’s expanded), or select the parent folder
    * Alt + Enter: Open the Properties dialog box for the selected item
    * Alt + P: Display the preview pane
    * Alt + Left Arrow: View the previous folder
    * Backspace: View the previous folder
    * Right Arrow: Display the current selection (if it’s collapsed), or select the first subfolder
    * Alt + Right Arrow: View the next folder
    * Alt + Up Arrow: View the parent folder
    * Ctrl + Shift + E: Display all folders above the selected folder
    * Ctrl + Mouse scroll wheel: Change the size and appearance of file and folder icons
    * Alt + D: Select the address bar
    * Ctrl + E: Select the search box
    * Ctrl + F: Select the search box
    Taskbar keyboard shortcuts
    * Shift + Click on a taskbar button: Open a program or quickly open another instance of a program
    * Ctrl + Shift + Click on a taskbar button: Open a program as an administrator
    * Shift + Right-click on a taskbar button: Show the window menu for the program
    * Shift + Right-click on a grouped taskbar button: Show the window menu for the group
    * Ctrl + Click on a grouped taskbar button: Cycle through the windows of the group
    Magnifier keyboard shortcuts
    * Windows logo key + Plus Sign or Minus Sign: Zoom in or out
    * Ctrl + Alt + Spacebar: Preview the desktop in full-screen mode
    * Ctrl + Alt + F: Switch to full-screen mode
    * Ctrl + Alt + L: Switch to lens mode
    * Ctrl + Alt + D: Switch to docked mode
    * Ctrl + Alt + I: Invert colors
    * Ctrl + Alt + arrow keys: Pan in the direction of the arrow keys
    * Ctrl + Alt + R: Resize the lens
    * Windows logo key + Esc: Exit Magnifier
    Remote Desktop Connection keyboard shortcuts
    * Alt + Page Up: Move between programs from left to right.
    * Alt + Page Down: Move between programs from right to left.
    * Alt + Insert: Cycle through programs in the order that they were started in.
    * Alt + Home: Display the Start menu.
    * Ctrl + Alt + Break: Switch between a window and full screen.
    * Ctrl + Alt + End: Display the Windows Security dialog box.
    * Alt + Delete: Display the system menu.
    * Ctrl + Alt + Minus Sign (-) on the numeric keypad: Place a copy of the active window, within the client, on the Terminal server clipboard (provides the same functionality as pressing Alt + PrtScn on a local computer).
    * Ctrl + Alt + Plus Sign (+) on the numeric keypad: Place a copy of the entire client window area on the Terminal server clipboard (provides the same functionality as pressing PrtScn on a local computer).
    * Ctrl + Alt + Right Arrow: “Tab” out of the Remote Desktop controls to a control in the host program (for example, a button or a text box). Useful when the Remote Desktop controls are embedded in another (host) program.
    * Ctrl + Alt + Left Arrow: “Tab” out of the Remote Desktop controls to a control in the host program (for example, a button or a text box). Useful when the Remote Desktop controls are embedded in another (host) program.
    Paint keyboard shortcuts
    * Ctrl + N: Create a new picture
    * Ctrl + O: Open an existing picture
    * Ctrl + S: Save changes to a picture
    * F12: Save the picture as a new file
    * Ctrl + P: Print a picture
    * Alt + F4: Close a picture and its Paint window
    * Ctrl + Z: Undo a change
    * Ctrl + Y: Redo a change
    * Ctrl + A: Select the entire picture
    * Ctrl + X: Cut a selection
    * Ctrl + C: Copy a selection to the Clipboard
    * Ctrl + V: Paste a selection from the Clipboard
    * Right Arrow: Move the selection or active shape right by one pixel
    * Left Arrow: Move the selection or active shape left by one pixel
    * Down Arrow: Move the selection or active shape down by one pixel
    * Up Arrow: Move the selection or active shape up by one pixel
    * Esc: Cancel a selection
    * Delete: Delete a selection
    * Ctrl + B: Bold selected text
    * Ctrl + +: Increase the width of a brush, line, or shape outline by one pixel
    * Ctrl + -: Decrease the width of a brush, line, or shape outline by one pixel
    * Ctrl + I: Italicize selected text
    * Ctrl + U: Underline selected text
    * Ctrl + E: Open the Properties dialog box
    * Ctrl + W: Open the Resize and Skew dialog box
    * Ctrl + Page Up: Zoom in
    * Ctrl + Page Down: Zoom out
    * F11: View a picture in full-screen mode
    * Ctrl + R: Show or hide the ruler
    * Ctrl + G: Show or hide gridlines
    * F10 or Alt: Display keytips
    * Shift + F10: Show the current shortcut menu
    * F1: Open Paint Help
    WordPad keyboard shortcuts
    * Ctrl + N: Create a new document
    * Ctrl + O: Open an existing document
    * Ctrl + S: Save changes to a document
    * F12: Save the document as a new file
    * Ctrl + P: Print a document
    * Alt + F4: Close WordPad
    * Ctrl + A: Select the entire document
    * Ctrl + B: Make selected text bold
    * Ctrl + I: Italicize selected text
    * Ctrl + U: Underline selected text
    * Ctrl + =: Make selected text subscript
    * Ctrl + Shift + =: Make selected text superscript
    * Ctrl + L: Align text left
    * Ctrl + E Align text center
    * Ctrl + R:: Align text right
    * Ctrl + J: Justify text
    * Ctrl + 1: Set single line spacing
    * Ctrl + 2: Set double line spacing
    * Ctrl + 5: Set line spacing to 1.5
    * Ctrl + Shift + >: Increase the font size
    * Ctrl + Shift + <: Decrease the font size
    * Ctrl + Shift + A: Change characters to all capitals
    * Ctrl + Shift + L: Change the bullet style
    * Ctrl + D: Insert a Microsoft Paint drawing
    * Ctrl + F: Find text in a document
    * F3: Find the next instance of the text in the Find dialog box
    * Ctrl + H: Replace text in a document
    * Ctrl + Left Arrow: Move the cursor one word to the left
    * Ctrl + Right Arrow: Move the cursor one word to the right
    * Ctrl + Up Arrow: Move the cursor to the line above
    * Ctrl + Down Arrow: Move the cursor to the line below
    * Ctrl + Home: Move to the beginning of the document
    * Ctrl + End: Move to the end of the document
    * Ctrl + Page Up: Move up one page
    * Ctrl + Page Down: Move down one page
    * Ctrl + Delete: Delete the next word
    * F10: Display keytips
    * Shift + F10: Show the current shortcut menu
    * F1: Open WordPad Help
    Calculator keyboard shortcuts
    * Alt + 1: Switch to Standard mode
    * Alt + 2: Switch to Scientific mode
    * Alt + 3: Switch to Programmer mode
    * Alt + 4: Switch to Statistics mode
    * Ctrl + E: Open date calculations
    * Ctrl + H: Turn calculation history on or off
    * Ctrl + U: Open unit conversion
    * Alt + C: Calculate or solve date calculations and worksheets
    * F1: Open Calculator Help
    * Ctrl + Q: Press the M- button
    * Ctrl + P: Press the M+ button
    * Ctrl + M: Press the MS button
    * Ctrl + R: Press the MR button
    * Ctrl + L: Press the MC button
    * %: Press the % button
    * F9: Press the +/– button
    * /: Press the / button
    * *: Press the * button
    * +: Press the + button
    * -: Press the – button
    * R: Press the 1/× button
    * @: Press the square root button
    * 0-9: Press the number buttons (0-9)
    * =: Press the = button
    * .: Press the . (decimal point) button
    * Backspace: Press the backspace button
    * Esc: Press the C button
    * Del: Press the CE button
    * Ctrl + Shift + D: Clear the calculation history
    * F2: Edit the calculation history
    * Up Arrow key: Navigate up in the calculation history
    * Down Arrow key: Navigate down in the calculation history
    * Esc: Cancel editing the calculation history
    * Enter: Recalculate the calculation history after editing
    * F3: Select Degrees in Scientific mode
    * F4: Select Radians in Scientific mode
    * F5: Select Grads in Scientific mode
    * I: Press the Inv button in Scientific mode
    * D: Press the Mod button in Scientific mode
    * Ctrl + S: Press the sinh button in Scientific mode
    * Ctrl + O: Press the cosh button in Scientific mode
    * Ctrl + T: Press the tanh button in Scientific mode
    * :) Press the ( button in Scientific mode
    * ): Press the ) button in Scientific mode
    * N: Press the ln button in Scientific mode
    * ;: Press the Int button in Scientific mode
    * S: Press the sin button in Scientific mode
    * O: Press the cos button in Scientific mode
    * T: Press the tan button in Scientific mode
    * M: Press the dms button in Scientific mode
    * P: Press the pi button in Scientific mode
    * V: Press the F-E button in Scientific mode
    * X: Press the Exp button in Scientific mode
    * Q: Press the x^2 button in Scientific mode
    * Y: Press the x^y button in Scientific mode
    * #: Press the x^3 button in Scientific mode
    * L: Press the log button in Scientific mode
    * !: Press the n! button in Scientific mode
    * Ctrl + Y: Press the y?x button in Scientific mode
    * Ctrl + B: Press the 3?x button in Scientific mode
    * Ctrl + G: Press the 10x button in Scientific mode
    * F5: Select Hex in Programmer mode
    * F6: Select Dec in Programmer mode
    * F7: Select Oct in Programmer mode
    * F8: Select Bin in Programmer mode
    * F12: Select Qword in Programmer mode
    * F2: Select Dword in Programmer mode
    * F3: Select Word in Programmer mode
    * F4: Select Byte in Programmer mode
    * K: Press the RoR button in Programmer mode
    * J: Press the RoL button in Programmer mode
    * <: Press the Lsh button in Programmer mode
    * >: Press the Rsh button in Programmer mode
    * %: Press the Mod button in Programmer mode
    * :) Press the ( button in Programmer mode
    * ): Press the ) button in Programmer mode
    * |: Press the Or button in Programmer mode
    * ^: Press the Xor button in Programmer mode
    * ~: Press the Not button in Programmer mode
    * &: Press the And button in Programmer mode
    * A-F: Press the A-F buttons in Programmer mode
    * Spacebar: Toggles the bit value in Programmer mode
    * A: Press the Average button in Statistics mode
    * Ctrl + A: Press the Average Sq button in Statistics mode
    * S: Press the Sum button in Statistics mode
    * Ctrl + S: Press the Sum Sq button in Statistics mode
    * T: Press the S.D. button in Statistics mode
    * Ctrl + T: Press the Inv S.D. button in Statistics mode
    * D: Press the CAD button in Statistics mode
    Windows Journal keyboard shortcuts
    * Ctrl + N: Start a new note
    * Ctrl + O: Open a recently used note
    * Ctrl + S: Save changes to a note
    * Ctrl + Shift + V: Move a note to a specific folder
    * Ctrl + P: Print a note
    * Alt + F4: Close a note and its Journal window
    * Ctrl + A: Select all items on a page
    * Esc: Cancel a selection
    * Delete: Delete a selection
    * Ctrl + F: Start a basic find
    * Ctrl + G: Go to a page
    * F5: Refresh find results
    * F5: Refresh the note list
    * F6: Toggle between a note list and a note
    * Ctrl + Shift + C: Display a shortcut menu for column headings in a note list
    * F11: View a note in full-screen mode
    * F1: Open Journal Help
    Windows Help viewer keyboard shortcuts
    * Alt + C: Display the Table of Contents
    * Alt + N: Display the Connection Settings menu
    * F10: Display the Options menu
    * Alt + Left Arrow: Move back to the previously viewed topic
    * Alt + Right Arrow: Move forward to the next (previously viewed) topic
    * Alt + A: Display the customer support page
    * Alt + Home: Display the Help and Support home page
    * Home: Move to the beginning of a topic
    * End: Move to the end of a topic
    * Ctrl + F: Search the current topic
    * Ctrl + P: Print a topic
    * F3: Move the cursor to the searchbox

15. Makcalable

Makcalable Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Acer Aspire AX1301
    CPU:
    AMD Athlon II X2 215 dual core processer
    Memory:
    4GB Ram
    Hard Drive:
    WDC WD10 EADS-22M2BO SCSI Western Digital
    Graphics Card:
    Nvidia GeForce 9200 Intergrated
    This is how to speed up taskbar thumbnails in Windows7, Some of you may already know this neat trick.

First off Open the Windows 7 registry editor.

Go to; HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse

locate MouseHoverTime key in right pan of registry editor.

Right click MouseHoverTime click modify and change value from 400 to any value less then 100 (400 is milliseconds) lower the value faster the thumbnail preview. (I use 1)

Click ok and close the registry editor window.

Now just logout or restart Explorer.exe before the changes take effect.

To restart explorer.exe CTRL + ALT + DEL Then select Start Task Manager > under processes find explorer.exe and end process.

To restart explorer.exe click on FILE select new task run and type in explorer.exe then hit enter.

Hope you found this useful! ;)

16. Makcalable

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Acer Aspire AX1301
    CPU:
    Memory:
    4GB Ram
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Menu Show Delay to slow?

1. Open the Start Menu - then type regedit in the search box and press Enter.

2. In regedit, navigate to - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\desktop

3. In the right pane, right click on MenuShowDelay and click on Modify.

4. Type in a number between 0 to 4000 - for how many milliseconds you want the Menu to wait before it opens, the lower the number, the faster the response time. It is not recommended you use 0 as it will be difficult to navigate through at that speed.

5. Click on OK to apply.

6. Close regedit.

7. Then all you do is restart the computer or explorer to apply these changes.

hope you found this to be useful! ;)

17. Makcalable

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Acer Aspire AX1301
    CPU:
    Memory:
    4GB Ram
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Command Prompt;

Change the Background/Font colour/font style in command prompt simply by going to START > ALL PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > RIGHT CLICK COMMAND PROMPT > SELECT PROPERTIES > UNDER TABS select your choice of modification like in the screen shot below FONT/COLOUR are selected.

SnapShot_124022.png

SnapShot_121322.png

my screen shot below;

SnapShot_124323.png

Apologies for such small screen shots, still trying to figure out how to produce bigger shot in my posts :snckr:

Hope you liked this tips! ;)

18. Makcalable

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Acer Aspire AX1301
    CPU:
    Memory:
    4GB Ram
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Pin A Drive To Your TaskBar.

The taskbar isn't just for apps and documents With just a few seconds work you can pin drive icons on the taskbar too.

Right click an empty part of the desktop select New - Text File - and rename the file to drive.exe. Drag and drop this onto your taskbar, then delete the original file.

Right-click your new "drive.exe" taskbar button, then right-click its file name and select Properties. Change the contents of both the Target and Start In boxes to point at the drive or folder of your choice, and click Change Icon to choose an appropriate drive icon, and you're done - that drive or folder is now available at a click.

Hope you liked this tip! ;)

19. Makcalable

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Acer Aspire AX1301
    CPU:
    Memory:
    4GB Ram
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    (This particular tutorial is for Windows 7)

Ok we all know how to access the hidden God Mode, And not everyone know how to add this to the taskbar, but this will show you how to pin God Mode shortcut to Windows 7 Taskbar so that you can quickly and easily access it.

Follow these simple steps:

First you will need to create a new shortcut. To do this, right click on your Desktop and select New Shortcut;

[​IMG]

It will launch Create Shortcut wizard as snapshot above, Now enter following string in location box;
    explorer shell:::{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Click on Next button, Now type God Mode in name box and click on Finish button, It will then create a new shortcut on your Desktop.

Now, to change the icon, Right-click on the shortcut and select Properties, Click on Change Icon button, Type control.exe in text box and press Enter, Select the Control panel icon, click on OK button and then Apply the changes.

Now you just need to pin this new shortcut to Taskbar, You can either drag & drop the shortcut to Taskbar or right-click on the shortcut and select Pin to Taskbar option.

Hope you liked this tip! ;)

20. Makcalable

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Acer Aspire AX1301
    CPU:
    Memory:
    4GB Ram
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    This is a quick tip for Windows 7 Only

This will show you how to Disable or Re enable the Taskbar Thumbnail Preview feature in Windows 7, As even today some people still dont like this feature i dont why but each to their own ;)

Click on Start button and type GPEdit.msc in Search text box then hit Enter;

Navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar in left pane of Local Group Policy Editor;

[​IMG]

Now look in the Right Pane for Taskbar Thumbnails it should be the last one in the list and double click on it;

Select Enabled;

Click Apply then OK to make the taskbar thumbnails Disabled;

[​IMG]

You may need to Logoff and logon again or restart your computer for changes to take affect;

Thats it done!

To re-enable the Taskbar preview feature just repeat the steps above but set it this time to Disabled or Not Configured.

Now there are many many features here that you can Disable or Enable, this will save you going through the registry to to add or change value's, this is by far the safest and easiest way to making simple modifications to your windows 7 features.

The Local Group Policy Editor is quite common for the Advanced user not so much for Novice's.

Hope you found this useful! ;)