1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Window 2008 R2 Issue

Discussion in 'Windows Home Server' started by RexZShadow, Apr 8, 2014.

1. RexZShadow

RexZShadow

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    So I'm watching this series of video on windows 2008 and I'm using virtual box to basically follow the video to learn windows 2008. However I hit a wall right off the bat at installation.

There is a part where you set up your DNS server so it said to make the IP static, so I enter
    IP: 192.168.0.2
    submask: 255.255.255.0 (auto one)
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (I check my router for this)

And no internet access. Idk what to do coz the default gateway is what it say on the router, even double check it by checking in my window 7 host just can't get internet.

Add on to this problem when I have the second server install and running and for that I put 192.168.0.2 as the DNS for it, I can't add it to the forest that I created with the first server. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    The DNS server is the node that translates URLs to IP addresses. Typically it's set to your router's IP address. Some folks like to use OpenDNS. In you case, without further investigation it should probably be 192.168.0.1.

The easiest thing to do is to set everything to AUTO. Everybody talks to eveyone else and the protocols work things out. The only time I set an IP to static is when I install a Server or a network printer.

3. RexZShadow

RexZShadow

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Well I am installing 2 windows 2008 server on virtual machine. Server 1 is already set up as DNS, trying to set server 2 as DNS as well and add it in to the forest created by server 1.

I manage to get internet access on server 1, what I did was set it to auto then go to display and check what the default gateway was and used that. so the default gate way was like 10.0.2.2 so for server 1 its
    IP: 10.0.2.10
    submask: 255.0.0.0
    default: 10.0.2.2

DNS: 127.0.0.1

Get internet just fine but server 2 however when I set it like server 1

IP: 10.0.2.11
    submask: 255.0.0.0
    default: 10.0.2.2
    DNS: 10.0.2.10 (to server 1)

It shows I have internet access for a short period of time then cuts off. When I try to check it say my config is correct but my primary DNS is not responding. And still can't finish dcpromo coz can't find the forest server 1 is in to join it. Any idea? Thanks.

4. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I am really not following what you are doing. Looks like you might be on Comcast.

DNS of 127.0.0.1 will not work. That's a loopback address.

What server do you want to use as your DNS? Do you know what a DNS is?

5. RexZShadow

RexZShadow

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I'm using the first windows 2008 I installed as my DNS, I followed a video instruction in doing that. Now I'm installing DNS to the second copy of window 2008 I have installed, but during the installation instead of creating a new forest I want to add it in to the existing forest with server 1 as the primary DNS. However right now it can't connect to that forest so I can't finish running dcpromo to make server 2 in an DNS server as well.

6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I'm still not understanding what you're trying to do. What is your goal?

7. RexZShadow

RexZShadow

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    To add a domain controler to a existing domain.