1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Will not boot to BIOS after replacing CMOS.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Dreadpool, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Dreadpool

Dreadpool

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    I have a Compaq Presario SR2170NX. I started to get CMOS battery warnings so I replaced the CMOS and now it will not boot to the BIOS. When I turn it on, the CPU fan spins full speed without slowing down and no signal on my monitor. Tried two other monitors that I have hooked up to a different computer and still no signal. I unplugged the power supply, took out the CMOS battery, waited for 1 hour then reinstalled the CMOS and plugged the power back in and it still turns on with full fan speed but still no signal on the monitor. I do not have any video cards installed, I have taken out the RAM, tried booting with one RAM stick installed (tried this with 4 different RAM sticks) same result. I replaced the power supply with a known working one, only have the mobo, fan, and hard drive connected to the power supply, all PCI slots are free, nothing in them, and still no signal to the monitor and full CPU fan speed.

Please help, any other ideas that I can try? Thank you.

2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi and welcome to Computer Help Forums.
    Test the CMOS battery.It may be a dud.
    If the CMOS battery isn't supplying power to the Mobo memory then your system can't boot.
    I presume you have it in the right way.

PS Please post in default size font. Thanks.:)

3. Dreadpool

Dreadpool

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    I do have the battery in correctly, I put the CMOS in my other PC and it booted without any warnings.

4. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Firstly have you checked as DSTM suggested that the battery isn't a bad one? It can happen, also make sure contacts are clean and dust or corrosion free so the battery makes a good connection.

If that is still no good and considering you said in your first post that you tried another power supply, I am afraid it is looking like coincidentally the motherboard has died.

Nev.

5. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Further to the above. When you say nothing on the screen you don't even see a blinking cursor (TOP LEFT) on a black screen?
    It is possible you have a corrupt Bios.

Is this a gaming machine and did you make any changes to Bios settings.
    If you did then this could have screwed the Bios.
    We need more info.

6. PseFrank

PseFrank Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    In addition to what the guys above have said it may be that you'll have to go into the Bios (If you can get it to show?) and set the time and date again. I'm not certain but on your computer I think the bios entry button/key is F10...if not that try F2

You'll have to press the F10 key when the computer is booting up.