1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Why would my desktop suddenly stop recognizing my second monitor and how do I fix it?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Xarzu, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Xarzu

Xarzu Junior Member

Why would my desktop suddenly stop recognizing my second monitor and how do I fix it?

When I start my computer, the BIOS message appears on one monitor in my dual monitor set up.
    But when the computer login message appears on my windows operating system, it appears only
    on the other monitor, and the desktop does not spread to both monitors.
    Rebooting used to solve this problem last week, but now even that fails.
    Please help.

-System Information-
    CPU: x64
    File System: NTFS

2. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
  3. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Adding to IJAC’s suggestion, have you tried swapping monitors?

4. Xarzu

Xarzu Junior Member

I tried making sure the cables are tight on the back of the CPU and rebooted. And then my system miraculously worked.... for more than one day. Then, not long ago, as I stepped away from my computer and returned and it is back to the one monitor desktop again.

So now I will give your advice a try and switch monitors and I will have a look at IJAC's suggestion.

If it IS a problem with the cables, can you recommend a reliable replacement?

5. Xarzu

Xarzu Junior Member

I have an update. Before I did anything , I gave something a try and it has worked (so far). But I want to keep this thread of discussion open here just in case this is only temporary.

Now, let me explain what I did and why. I started to suspect this was a Windows 10 operating system glitch of some kind because most of the time these sorts of problems are software related and not hardware related and, I am sure you know, Microsoft does these periodic updates to users computers remotely from time to time. So, what I suspected is that, one of these updates had an undocumented and uncommon bug in it. Since my computer is one that was built by hand, it might be susceptible to a problem that Microsoft would either think is too uncommon or they would not test for.

I was not the only person who thought that a clue to the problem was the fact, as i first stated, the BIOS came up on ONE monitor and the Windows logon screen came up in the other monitor. Humm...

To be clear, I think I should say this. The monitor that showed the BIOS is my monitor in my left. The monitor that showed the Windows OS is the monitor on my right.

I was trying everything I could think of with what windows had to offer in the options that came up when I did a right-button click on the desktop and nothing worked. The Operating System was simply failing to recognize the unavailable monitor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Someone suggested this and just as an exercise of trying everything I gave it a try.

Ever hear "the truth is stranger than fiction"? It worked. But it worked in a very weird way.

The position of my monitors had to be moved so that the one on my left was on the right and the one on the right was on the left (I think many people can relate to this. Many of us can remember a moment when we would be able to move the mouse cursor all the way to the right of a dual monitor system and it pops up on the monitor on the left.). This kind of makes sense. The system seemed to be confused as to which monitor should be the main one and which one the desktop should extend to. And this windows command seemed to iron out the confusion.

But I want to keep this thread of discussion open. Let's see if this fix sticks.

So, let's keep this discussion thread open. I will update it with my system information according to your suggestion. It might give a clue as to why things went wrong and if this fix is temporary, we will need to revisit this topic.

6. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Interesting solution.

7. IJAC

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Actually it makes sense to me but I would of never thought of that. I hope it continues to work for you anything is possible with windows 10.

8. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    WOW! I'm just glad I don't run two monitors. I would never have suggested that solution.

9. IJAC

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Once you run two monitors it is hard to get back to using just one. It is a pretty awesome setup to have ,I have my shop setup with two monitors. My wife is using the other two monitor set up for working at home. It can be a pain when you have a problem but it can be worked out with some help. As with this one with Xarzu sometimes it can be a strange thing that fixes the problem. I see it as a learning experience for me.

10. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I'm in my 70's and I can no longer multi-task as I did when I was younger. Two monitors would be distracting at my age.

11. IJAC

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    I am in my 70's too I know what you mean but I try.

Tony D likes this.
: monitors, desktop