1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Which computer to get?

Discussion in 'Processor - CPU' started by dlclendenen, Mar 21, 2019.

1. dlclendenen

dlclendenen

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I'm looking at getting a rugged tablet from Dell. I've narrowed the field down to two different ones. One is an older 7202 that is new in the box and the other is the newer 7212 that is refurbished. Due to the 7212 being a bit newer and a more powerful processor it is about 200 dollars more even though it's refurbished compared to the 7202 that is brand new. Other than the processor differences the specs are largely the same. My question is based upon my needs I'm trying to decide if the 7212 is worth the extra 200 bucks for the better processor.

Here are links to the two I've narrowed it down to.
    https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitud...Format=grid&impressionTimestamp=1553142309510

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitud...Format=grid&impressionTimestamp=1553142309479

As of right now I'm currently using a Dell Latitude E6410 that's just shy of 9 years old. It has a Intel Core i7 M620 processor and 4 GB of RAM. Despite the RAM being insufficient at times this laptop meets my needs quite well. I'm going back to school so this laptop will be used for work and business only. Web browsing, Excel, Word and the like sometimes with all applications open at once and jumping back and forth as I enter data. Occasionally I will view videos both online and offline but that will be the extent of any multimedia use.

Just looking for some insight and any will be greatly appreciated.

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and welcome.

I see one has a 256 GB SSD and the other has a 500 GB SSD. Will the 256 be large enough for your needs?

Go to https://www.cpubenchmark.net/ to compare the speed of the two different processors.

3. dlclendenen

dlclendenen

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Yes, the hard drive size is relatively insignificant between the two. I have the entirety of my files on a 15 GB flash drive at the moment that is only a bit over full. I'm familiar enough with computers as to discern the basic jest of how fast one is, one I'm unsure about is how exactly to calculate my current usage and needs to that of what processor to choose. Thanks for the site, I'll give it a check.

4. dlclendenen

dlclendenen

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks for the site. Gave a great side by side comparison. Leaning towards the 7212 now unless anybody has a less than favorable stance on refurbished computers. It still carries a 3 year warranty by Dell and in my previous, but limited, experience refurbished have always operated just a good as new but I'm always open to hear others take.

5. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    When it comes to your hard drive specs, consider that you also have to install the programs to run your files.

Other than that, you seem like you know what you're doing. I have no issues with refurbished machines.

6. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    I have a customer that buys from the Dell refurbished site whenever he needs a new PC and he has had good luck so far.If it would do what you need it to do than I would see no problem with that one.Also like you said it has a 3 year warranty which is pretty decent.Grate site Tony thanks I bookmarked for future reference.