1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

What uses my memory?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Gary2000, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Gary2000

Gary2000

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi guys, this is my first post here, hoping someone can help. I’m not too knowledgeable of what’s going on in the hard drive. I have 5GB of space left, yet when I check all of my documents, pictures, videos, program files, they only add up to 100GB. The HD is 500GB.
    I don’t where the other 400 GB is used up?
    Disk cleanup says I could only save 47MB.
    Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and welcome Gary. There are many other items that take up space on your hard drive. They are the system and program files. Although I don't expect them to take up 400 GB, you might as well check those folders also.

One thing that if often missed is the hidden System Restore files. Go to System Restore and check how much space is allocated for those files.

Let us know what you find out.

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  3. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    You can also run Tree Size which will show you what's taking up all the space.

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

A few months ago I repaired a computer with the same issue. The problem file turned out to be a corrupt temp file.

Tony D likes this.
  4. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Open Control Panel, click on Administrative Tools. Click on Computer Management then in the left pane, under storage, click on Disk Management.
    Post a screenshot of the top and bottom sections. The top shows the names of the partitions and the bottom shows how a 500GB hard drive might be partitioned with sizes of each section.

My 500GB hd looks like this
    Acer_hd.JPG