1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with Downloads Folder old downloads and program installers

Discussion in 'Backup and Recovery' started by BGBG, Oct 29, 2017.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I have always just left the downloads folder alone. Never recalled going back and using it much if at all. What is recommended to do with all the contents. Most programs have likely been upgraded and I doubt if I would need to keep what is in there. I have gone back to a previous version of something now and then. Not very big on this computer but I wondered if all the files in there need to be kept and how to tell which. In transferring, I believe this was one source of many files which had too long file names to be transferred. They are not all that big ..maybe 500-1000 MB in size. Maybe just go through and see what is there and delete what I do not want? What do other people do?

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Delete the ones you no longer need.

3. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I agree with Tony. Once I have installed the program, and it's working fine, I delete the download.
    Most software have upgrades, as you say,Bill.
    I always download the latest version of the program.

4. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I admit I am a pack-rat...I save EVERYTHING. If do not look at it again I may not realize it is there. I should get rid or most or all of these though.Reason I saved to start with was if I had an older version and disliked the new I would want the old one back but was never available, unless I had saved the install. Think I once read somewhere to do this. But then I forgot to go back and delete the ones I did not need.

5. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    How old are these downloads. Months or years?

6. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I keep archived versions on USB sticks - not on a computer. We have 7 computers in the house so it is easier to have the program I want available to all and NOT stored on every computer. I also then have plenty of space on each computer for important files not something that is very old and have no idea what it is.

I just looked at a stick today and saw Junkware Removal Tool which I think is no longer supported. I'll have to go searching and see. If it is true, I'll remove it.

Anyway, I can open Windows Explorer and switch to details view. That will show a date. If the program is 5 or more years old, it is probably useless and can be removed from the stick.

7. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    In the last month I have had two Flash Drives fail completely, and not even EaseUS Data Recovery (Paid} could retrieve any Data. These Flash Drives were getting on in years, but luckily I have back up Flash Drives, which still the data was OK.
    They were cheap brand Flash Drives. I have now bought Sandisk Flash Drives,which are considered very good, and moved the data to these New Drives.
    I also have the Images backed up on every PC, as another insurance.

I also read JRT support is ending, and MB will be concentrating on ADW Cleaner.
    I also run "Rogue Killer" and find it very good. Don't know why more don't use this program.

I go through my Downloads quite often, and delete old downloads. Some downloads, I haven't even got those programs on my PC's any longer.