1. All galleries have been imported into the new Gallery. This forum is now a read only archive. Please use the gallery to upload new photos and create new albums.

Link to gallery: Computer Help Forums Gallery.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Wellies' photos and graphics

Discussion in 'Photo & Graphics Archive' started by wellies, Aug 23, 2009.

1. wellies

wellies Member

I've spent many a wet afternoon creating graphics and many a nice day taking photos. Below are the results of that.

To start my 'wellies works' thread, here is a graphic created using Xara Xtreme, my favourite graphics program. This program can apply vector created effects to bitmaps (photos). It is very versatile:

[​IMG]

2. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks Wellies!!! Your thread has been made a sticky along with Bob12a's. I look forward to seeing it grow. I know that it will soon become a stop off point when members log on.

3. wellies

wellies Member

Thanks BeeCeeBee - I'll add as the days go by. As with Bob12a's 3D photos, it's interesting to not only just take photos but to also sometimes enhance (or play with them) one way or another. Always satisfying to do so. Queries on the above graphic, or any subsequent ones, gladly answered. Comments good or bad welcome. :)

4. wellies

wellies Member

Here's an animated gif made with Xara 3D version 5.0. These can't be made too big in physical size because of the file size. Even this small one is 172kB. Probably not bad in view of the fact most people are on broadband but as with any image for display in a web page, some consideration needs to be given to those with slow connections. Don't want it taking ages to load.

[​IMG]

5. wellies

wellies Member

A 'curly-whirly' geometric vector graphic done with a 'brush' in Xara Xtreme ..and a free plugin that works with Xtreme called 'SpiroJ':

[​IMG]

6. Match

Match Registered Members

Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Abit AN52
    CPU:
    AMD Athlon dual core 5000+
    Memory:
    4 Gig Corsair
    Hard Drive:
    160 Gb Hitachi 500 Gb Western Digital
    Graphics Card:
    Radion XFX 4650
    Power Supply:
    550W EZcool
    After Viewing just a few of your images, I would really like to see the selection of images you have for wall papers, but fear I would be spoilt for choice and be stuck as to which one to use, :doh: I have Windows 7 which has a slide show option for desktop backgrounds :thmbup:, Maybe I would just need a Bigger Hard Drive :fshsml:

7. wellies

wellies Member

Strangely enough, although I like my graphics, I prefer a fairly plain Desktop. So I haven't got a collection of wallpapers. I made a small graphic for the centre of the screen that says Windows XP Professional but that's the entire decoration. :)

8. Mara

Mara Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Oh wow!!! And while I appreciate the talent involved in each, it's your first post that I absolutely and totally love! I want to just step into each frame - magic, Wellie!

9. wellies

wellies Member

Hello Mara and thanks - I like that one too. The reflection took a bit of thought initially but the answer was quite simple in the end. It is possible to push and pull shapes around in a vector program and the photo shapes move around within them. So each frame is first given perspective and depth using Xtreme's 3D tool and then copied. The copy is then flipped upside down. The corners of the flipped image are dragged to meet the upright image. All frames are built up in the same way and then added together.

The flipped images are grouped together and given a fading transparency, top to bottom. When set on the background, they look like reflections. Just got to draw some hinges and holes after that and there you have it.

Here's a wire-frame of the image that shows its construction:

[​IMG]

Although the bottom halves of the flipped frames cannot be seen, there are still technically there during the construction stage. They aren't there once the drawing has been converted to a jpeg.

10. Mara

Mara Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Oh Wellies, I burst into laughter and snorted my coffee straight up my nose when reading your words, "quite simple" to create! Gracious, just looking at the wire frame of the image plus the steps involved in creating the magic - yup, you are truly talented!

11. wellies

wellies Member

Nah! It really and truly is the program. :)

12. Mara

Mara Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Nope, I beg to differ :) (sadly knowing the steps for something doesn't always an artist made ... ever noticed that some can follow a recipe and still get dismal results? Huge smile!). Please keep them coming as they are truly impressive, Wellie!

13. wellies

wellies Member

This graphic is done by following instructions. There is a Xara monthly online magazine (sort of) that always includes a tutorial for creating a vector graphic. I followed one for drawing this magnifying glass. It involved creating and colouring many different shapes. That's the thing about vectors. What you see is made up of many totally separate (sometimes tiny) shapes all precisely drawn and sitting next to or on top of each other. Each shape is coloured, feathered, given a degree of transparency etc.

The exercise mostly worked but I couldn't quite reproduce the contour of the handle that the tutor did. Unfortunately, I must have deleted the original vector image I drew. There is only the end result converted to a jpeg (no wireframe to show the separate parts):

[​IMG]

14. wellies

wellies Member

I found the May 2007 tutorial for the above. Can't believe it was that long ago! :) Click the 'Start Tutorial' button and then the 'Next Page' button on subsequent pages. No need to actually read anything but the diagrams show how vector images are made:

Xara Xone - The best vector drawing tutorials - May 2007

15. Mara

Mara Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    That hour glass is wonderful, Wellie! And thanks so much for adding the link ... if I ever finish fighting off a mean Trojan that's attacked my grandson's computer, that's one of the first things I'll do - head over to the site and read the vector tutorials - thank you so very much!

16. bob12a

bob12a Senior Member

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    MEDIONPC MS-7204
    CPU:
    3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium D 16 kilobyte primary memory cache 1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Memory:
    3072 Megabytes Installed Memory Slot 'A0' has 512 MB Slot 'A1' has 512 MB Slot 'A2' has 512 MB Sl
    Hard Drive:
    910.14 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity 376.83 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
    Power Supply:
    NVIDIA GeForce 6700 XL [Display adapter] Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (22.0"vis, s/n HS2P405617, A
    Great selection there Wellie I have used xtra 3d in the past (under your instructions) brilliant proggie and it is in my other things to do memo to myself
    Kindest
    Bob

17. wellies

wellies Member

Thanks Bob - Here's a very dicey picture!

[​IMG]

18. bob12a

bob12a Senior Member

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    MEDIONPC MS-7204
    CPU:
    3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium D 16 kilobyte primary memory cache 1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Memory:
    3072 Megabytes Installed Memory Slot 'A0' has 512 MB Slot 'A1' has 512 MB Slot 'A2' has 512 MB Sl
    Hard Drive:
    910.14 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity 376.83 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
    Power Supply:
    NVIDIA GeForce 6700 XL [Display adapter] Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (22.0"vis, s/n HS2P405617, A
    Very clever stuff that

19. Mara

Mara Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Unless you're already doing this professionally, Welli - I think you may have missed 'your boat' career wise because truly, you are good!

20. wellies

wellies Member

I'm only a professional layabout these days Mara :). Here's a few letters to look at:

[​IMG]