1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Weird psychology

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Seth Anthony, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    My computer repair business gets about 3 calls a day for phone repair. I don't repair phones because I know nothing about phone repair, and besides, I'm too busy with computer repair I do however partner with a local phone repair shop. Anyway, when I get a call regarding phone repair, I inform the customer that I don't repair phones, and give them the phone number for the phone repair shop. 90% the time they thank me and the conservation is over, but the other 10% get the phone number and proceed to tell me all the problems they are having with their phone :doh:

I have an interest in psychology and would like to figure out why some people do that. Any idea?

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Maybe they like the sound of your voice?

3. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Well yes, that's a given lol, but no, as they're doing all the talking. Maybe they just like the sound of their voice? :biggrin:

4. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Some are hoping that if they tell you that you might have the answer and they will not have to call the other company.

Why call them and get charged when they can ask you and get it for free.

Some just need to vent about the issue.

Tony D likes this.
  5. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    I think you're onto something Rusty.

I've thought about it a little more, and realized a good clue is that virtually all that do this are seniors. Perhaps they're frustrated, maybe even lonely, and want to "vent" about it, despite my inability to assist?

It's all good though. I listen to the issues, offer condolences, and again politely lead them to the phone repair shop.

6. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    As a senior, I can tell you why they talk. They are thrilled to talk to a real person in their own country! Even if you don't talk much, you can understand the problem.
    It is frustrating to go through menu hell, wait on hold for a long time then finally talk to someone with an accent so thick that they have to ask 3 or 4 times to repeat everything that is said!!!

Even when we call our cable company for help, even though the headquarters is outside of Philadelphia and we live less than 2 hours away, we get to talk to someone in the Philippines. The first thing they always tell me to do is unplug the box. grrrr If the same problem exists on our 4 tvs, unplugging 1 box will not solve the problem because the 3 other tvs have a DTA attached to them. I explain the green light blinking on the DTA indicates there is a problem. We try and find out if there is an outage in our area and if so, the approximate time service will be back.

The last outage took out not only the tvs but also the internet connection. Yup, unplug the modem as per "tech support's" suggestion. I obliged even though I knew it wouldn't do a thing. Of course tech support told me there wasn't a problem with service. Then later said, oh there is a service outage in your area. No kidding. I already figured that out.

I found it easier to call neighbors and find out if their service is out.

7. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Yes, that's a common complaint plodr, and not just with seniors. But, I'm referring them to a local phone repair shop. However, perhaps they erroneously think that if they call the number I provided that they'll experience what you describe?