1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

We have detected unusual activity on your Microsoft account?

Discussion in 'General Malware And Security' started by OurJud, Jul 26, 2020.

1. OurJud

OurJud Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I'm on Windows 7 and using the latest Firefox. Yes, I'm full aware I shouldn't still be using W7.

I'm getting a message which prevent me logging into my Outlook ...live.co.uk email account. But unlike the usual scam this is not an email within the account, with a link for resetting, it's actually stopping me from logging in until I verify.

But here's where things get confusing. On the little pop-up window it states my correct email at the top, then goes on to explain I have to 'fill in the blanks' to verify. The problem here, however, is that the first two characters of the already completed part of my email are wrong.

For example. Let's say my email was 'example@live.co.uk' it would say I have to fill in the blanks and shows 'ea*****@live.co.uk'

I do have another outlook email, but when I click the option to log in to this, the process is repeated, but for the other email.

Any ideas what's going on or how I get back in to my live.co.uk email account? I've done a virus scan but nothing was found.

PS. I tried to remove the email tags from the above dummy email address above, but it puts them back in when I click save.

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    At be a scam. Restart your computer and try again.

OurJud likes this.
  3. OurJud

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I've tried that, three times, after various successive cleans and scans.

Also, if it is a scam, it's one in the form of a virus or trojan or whatever, which I somehow need to remove. I say this because I get this unusual activity verification process when going directly to the outlook website.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  4. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    You’re using Firefox. Try another browser.

OurJud likes this.
  5. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I'm also using Windows 7. I just logged into the Outlook website using Palemoon, an offshoot of the old Firefox, with no problem. (I'm in the US not UK).

MS is supposed to send an email, to another address or SMS if unusual activity is detected.
    https://outlook.uservoice.com/knowl...osoft-email-we-ve-noticed-unusual-activity-in
    Well that wasn't helpful. At step 2, I don't have a Security and Privacy tab.
    I clicked a few things in Settings to look and I kept getting this popup that I've made changes, which I did not so I ended up clicking the cancel button all the time. Then I couldn't close the last popup no matter what I did so I closed the outlook tab in my browser.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    OurJud likes this.
  6. OurJud

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Just tried with Explorer - same message when trying to sign in (We have detected unusual activity on your Microsoft account).

I don't think it's a scam, but how am I supposed to verify if the second character in the email it asks me to complete is incorrect?

7. OurJud

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    These are the two pop-ups I get after I try to log in at live.co.uk. First I get this:

liveerror.png

And then I get this, but the second character in the email with the ***** that it asks me to complete is wrong.

livererror2.png

8. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    If you are suspecting malware/virus I would suggest you post in the malware removal section that way you can make sure that the system is clean.
    https://computerhelpforums.com/forums/malware-removal-help.59/

Read and follow posting instruction form here
    https://computerhelpforums.com/forums/malware-removal-help.59/

Read whom can respond and assist
    https://computerhelpforums.com/threads/who-may-post-replies-in-the-malware-removal-forum.40104/

9. OurJud

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    That's the problem - I'm guessing... clutching at straws.

I was hoping, given the information I've supplied, someone might recognise the symptoms and at least suggest a possible solution. I'll post in the malware removal by all mean, but all I'll be doing is repeating what I've posted here.