1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

VLC player help please

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Tony Loly, May 17, 2018.

1. Tony Loly

Tony Loly Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    If any of you are familiar with the VLC media player you may be able to help me. This has been my fav player for some years until ultra hd came along & it seemed to struggle with it. So when the latest version came out 3.0.2 & played it perfectly I was delighted. However this version now struggles with some of my 1080p content so I have gone back to the earlier version 2.2.6.
    So my question is, is there a way that I can install both versions on to my windows 7 PC ? Usually the latest version deletes the previous one............can I stop this happening?
    Thank you.

2. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Use one version as portable. Keep it in a folder on your desktop. Just put a shortcut to the exe on your desktop and click it when you want to run that version.
    https://portableapps.com/apps/music_video/vlc_portable

I've installed v 2.2.6 and I haven't looked at v 3 after reading about issues with it.

I usually do this with browsers when I want to run two different versions. I have FF v 52.8 ESR installed but I also have v 60.0.1 portable so I can switch from one to the other.

3. Tony Loly

Tony Loly Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks, yes that works, much obliged for your help.