1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Video rendering time dramatically increases when PC is idle?

Discussion in 'Processor - CPU' started by liberty610, Jan 15, 2018.

1. liberty610

liberty610 Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Gigabyte GA-X99-Ultra Gaming
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-6800K
    Memory:
    G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 32GB (4 x 8GB)
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2
    Graphics Card:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Power Supply:
    Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Hey guys,

I have been doing video editing/rendering since I owned Pinnacle Studio back in 2004. I run a project studio out of my home, and just recently upgraded to the AMD Threadripper 1950x.

In Vegas Pro 14 for video editing, I noticed that a full 2 hour video with video and audio plugins active through out the project, crossfades, color grading, ect took just an hour and a half to two hours to render down when I was at my computer and actively doing other small tasks while it was rendering. I have even assigned Vegas to run on limited cores to do other things like gaming and what not while it renders, with still having solid rendering times.

Last night, I started a simple 2 hour video render much like my other video that only took a couple hours. It said the render would take approx. 1:45 mins or so to complete, which was about the norm. So I put the computer in lock mode (password required to come out of it - I don't like leaving it open for others in the house to mess with), turned off my screen, and went to bed. Woke up, and it had been rendering all night. 8 plus hours plus had elapsed, and it claimed another 3 to 4 hours was needed to complete the task. I found that very odd, as I rendered a similar video the day before in only a couple hours.

While I was on the computer seeing this horrific rendering time, I started doing other little things like checking my e-mail, hitting a couple websites, ect. Not only did the rendering time drop significantly from 8 hours left to less then 35 minuets, the next I knew when I was checking a couple websites out, I here the audio notification that the render had completed.

So, by putting my computer in lock mode, it seems to be drastically slowing down my renders. I was wondering what could be causing this? In my power settings, which are currently set to balanced, I have it set so my system never goes into sleep mode, and my screen never goes to sleep. I have to physically turn the monitor off for it to go into any kind of power stage.

Are there other settings I need to look at so when I go into lock mode my processor/renders does not slow down? Or if my system is idle it doesn't slow down? I am not even sure if lock mode has anything to do with it. My render times may increase if my pc is idle for all I know. I am usually sitting at it doing other tasks while rendering, so I am not sure.

Thanks in advance for any replies/thoughts on this!